EOI: GTG at The Coates Cellar Door

DRC

I've been meaning to get on to a GTG at our Cellar Door for a while now. I'm thinking Saturday 20th October from midday, we are at 185 Tynan Rd Kuitpo (about an hour from the CBD), K1 Cellar Door is next to us. Bec, the Exec Chef will put on some simple food, and we have plenty of vino. And the coffee isn't too shabby. If Pine Weasel comes along I might even open a bottle of our Shin Zen Bi Syrah 2012.

The Cellar Door system has a simple vinyl setup (Rega P1+) with a Krell KPS-28c CDP, Perreaux pre and a Halcro MC series power amp. A trusty pair of Duntech Barons for speakers. I'll rearrange Cellar Door a little to get a better listening area than in the photo! BYO cd's and vinyl. If I am feeling uber motivated I'll bring along the Krell Evo-Two mono blocks from my home system. They weight a #$%^ing tonne, but make pretty much any speaker sound sensational.

winery-system.jpg.26e5a0d1a9e4b930310bc008f75e6e7d.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Benje said:

@tonym 

Ha, I had a fabulous day yesterday at a another winery at Kuitpo and it truly is a very beautiful part of SA - also not too far from home.  The only thing that was missing yesterday was the music and discussion of things audio (lots of discussion of things equine, though, as the winery owner and many of the guests were Mrs M's horsey friends)

So, a chance to repeat the experience with a more interesting slant to the conversation and some aural bliss thrown in for good measure?  Please pencil me in as a hopeful attendee, despite my usual tendency not to plan that far ahead. 

Thanks for the heads-up Benje.:)

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Rhythm Willie said:

Duane, did'nt know you were also into audio, another reason to visit Coates Wines.

It has been another long-time obsession... Though it is the business that is keeping me from shooting arrows any more.

Batty

it is a nice drive - from East of the City, go via Mt Barker and then Echunga.  There is some dirt road at the end at Kuipto, but the road is fine.  Make sure you have the maps app - you will be travelling through some 'back blocks' out there.  Also, make sure you have enough fuel in the car once you leave Mt Barker - there are some petrol stations subsequently but the choice is not as great depending on what fuel you actually need.

Benje

Edited by Benje

Car runs on e10 or 91RON, can get that anywhere, does over 600km to the tank and I don't like letting it get much below half way.

Not scared of a few dirt roads, we took Christines lowered SP23 over a few bumpy bits a few years ago to avoid an accident on Port Wakefield road, was a giggle.

I was looking at coming in from the northern end, It all depends on how Christine is feeling as she tends to get a bit car sick on the twisty bits.

Looks like we have good support from the SA SNA'ers for the GTG.

You can commute a number of different directions depending on where you are coming from-

South Eastern Freeway - Hahndorf - Echunga - Meadows (then Brookmans Road, Tynan Road), 54 mins from CBD

Southern Expressway - McLaren Vale - McLaren Flat (then Wickhams Hill Rd, Brockhurst Rd, Tynan Rd), 55 mins from CBD

Via Clarendon - Kangarilla (Kangarilla Road towards McLaren Vale then Wickhams Hill Rd, Brockhurst Rd, Tynan Rd), 57 mins from CBD. The most scenic drive and most fun.

We do have dirt roads (Tynan and Brockhurst) and petroleum products are available in Kangarilla, Meadows and McLaren Vale. The road are in reasonable shape, and our regular commute to the winery has used three different Alfa Romeo sports cars over the years with less than off road pretentions or particularly good ground clearance.

• Like 5

I would come up from McLaren Vale via McMurtrie Rd, Pennys Hill Rd which becomes Pottery Rd, Brookman Rd, Tynan Rd. Minimises dirt road I think. Anyway have been to KI a number of times and would be good to check out another winery, especially if audio is involved. Will there be a cap on numbers? Would be good to meet SNA's in person.

Edit Are you north or south (I think) of K1

Edited by Egres

9 hours ago, Egres said:

I would come up from McLaren Vale via McMurtrie Rd, Pennys Hill Rd which becomes Pottery Rd, Brookman Rd, Tynan Rd. Minimises dirt road I think. Anyway have been to KI a number of times and would be good to check out another winery, especially if audio is involved. Will there be a cap on numbers? Would be good to meet SNA's in person.

Edit Are you north or south (I think) of K1

Hi Egres

Another way to the winery, and entering from Brookman Road is the shortest path on dirt (about 1.7 kms). We are the next drive way along from K1 on the northern side. We should be fine with numbers, there is plenty of room.

Count me in! +1 with the lovely Liz accompanying me.

Wine and Music, a wonderful combination. 

It's been quite some years since I last heard Duane's system, when it was set up in Blewitt Springs.
Tempted to bring some vinyl to test it out!

• Like 1