China Made Audiophile Speakers

Chinese made products is evolving. 

china now is not china 10 years ago.

people used to view chinese products as fakes, low quality parts, low quality workmanship.

the quality are getting better. more and more quality hifi products from china has emerged such as auralic, audio gd, line magnetic, usher, etc that doesnt need to clone others technology because they got the brain themselves.

Edited by batou
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, batou said:

Chinese made products is evolving. 

china now is not china 10 years ago.

people used to view chinese products as fakes, low quality parts, low quality workmanship.

the quality are getting better. more and more quality hifi products from china has emerged such as auralic, audio gd, etc that doesnt need to clone others technology because they got the brain themselves.

Just to sidetrack a bit.

The Chinese made KZ10 earphones which cost $30usd sounds much better than many of the "big brands" which cost more than 5 times its price. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/KZ-ZS10-Headphones-10-Driver-In-Earphone-4BA-1DD-Dynamic-Armature-Earbuds-HiFi-Bass-Headset-Noise/1358152_32859161944.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.15895d2eslcdxB

2 hours ago, Gryffles said:

Ah, I have strong doubt @Finkdachef that parts are genuine

Apart from the Usher woofer vs Scanspeak woofer matter (and this may have been a more recent development due to the availability of the Scanspeaks), I can say that the Scanspeak tweeters are original. 

The Elites have displaced reputable speakers of up to $4k so I’m very happy with what they offer as a package. This isn’t my first rodeo. ;)

I have no experience with other Chinese speakers so I can’t vouch for them. 

• Like 2

On 01/10/2018 at 6:06 PM, MattyW said:

I have checked out those speakers before though ended up getting two other pairs of Chinese speakers.

Aurum Cantus F620 - 89db 4ohm with ribbon tweeters -  Used in my main living room system. Spectacular though seem to respond well to a bit of power so solid state amplification for these. When fed sufficient power these have a flat response with deep and tight bass and sparkling, airy highs.

IMG_20180609_114818_HDR.thumb.jpg.16ca792eeb75c7a7f32d422b2259bd44.jpg

Oatlon W2-1000F (aka Kingprints W2-1000F) - 97db 4ohm speakers with dual 10" drivers for bass & mids, horn tweeter - works extremely well with my 45WPC Oldchen KT88-K3 amp. Far better than the Aurum Cantus F620 speakers with that amp.  Flat frequency response,  less very natural highs, great mids and incredible bass. Seems to get along extremely well with Western Electric 11GA tinned copper speaker wire,  which makes it more dynamic and punchy than it is with say, Van Damme LC-OFC copper cable. Stunning speakers to look at too

IMG_20180624_163948_HDR.thumb.jpg.a512b474950c911433d33832681e4cdb.jpg

Nice configuration..

There is a 2nd hand Aurum cantus V3M going for $1k but I haven't heard them before.

On the other hand, I am aware of how Proarc and Scanspeak drivers based speakers sound. Hence, have shortlisted the elite asethets and the other scanspeak based speaker.

Did you make the purchases from Ali express?

• Like 1

just a word of caution. i would be a bit wary buying from ali express have sold some fakes chinese hifi goods. i would probably buy it from the brands website itself or their authorised retailer.

Edited by batou
  • Like 1

Search Aurum Cantus for giant killers.

I can vouch for this. I own Xavian Carisma (Scan Speak Drivers) and also a pair of Aurum Cantus Melody M102SE and they win hands down every time, they are on another level, maybe not revelator but not far off it.
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Finkdachef said:

Nice configuration..

There is a 2nd hand Aurum cantus V3M going for $1k but I haven't heard them before.

On the other hand, I am aware of how Proarc and Scanspeak drivers based speakers sound. Hence, have shortlisted the elite asethets and the other scanspeak based speaker.

Did you make the purchases from Ali express?

The Aurum Cantus F620 speakers I acquired on the SNA Classifieds from member here who was going the DIY route. The Oatlon's I purchased through Aliexpress. I'd pick the Oatlons for mid level (20 - 50WRMS) tube amplification and the Aurum Cantus for everything else.

What I like about the Aurum Cantus speakers is that they have no sound of their own sounding like whatever they're fed. The Oatlons on the other hand have a hint of warmth and are laid back in comparison though with plenty of bass.

No sub required with either of them for music unless you're really into organ music. The Aurum Cantus F620 are simply ok on the bass side if paired with my Oldchen KT88-K3 though with the darTZeel NHB-108 copy it has plenty of deep, controlled bass. Just needs to be fed more clean power is all.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

Another thumbs up for the Aurum range.

Auditioned some in Radelaide a few years back with the big Krix Neuphonics and some VAF.

I thought the Aurum's were easily the pick of the bunch.

• Love 1

On 03/10/2018 at 10:17 AM, batou said:

just a word of caution. i would be a bit wary buying from ali express have sold some fakes chinese hifi goods. i would probably buy it from the brands website itself.

Anyone knows what happened to Cattylink?

On 01/10/2018 at 10:05 PM, Al.M said:

If they have used original Scanspeak drivers and sorted crossover design etc it could be a good deal. The tweeters are about $330 and woofers $370 each so $1400 worth to a DIYer but to a speaker manufacturer much less so with cheap Chinese labour costs quite possible. $600 delivery from China so all up $3k for floorstanders and what can you get for that elsewhere? 

Pictures of Scanspeak drivers below with the Illuminator woofer of particular note

C5182302-1B54-4CD9-BA35-B177A0ECBC71.jpeg

53BE042C-F38C-4B71-AA0A-F69DDB07A2D8.jpeg

22D14254-6340-4EE8-AD2E-9226F8BBCB06.jpeg

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/250855-system-audio-ranger-master-speakers/