Sign in to follow this  
Snoopy8

Review of M18PSU – Gieseler Kraftwerk 12V 4A PSU

My good buddy and marriage breaker @Snoopy8 brought round the new PSU today. 

Quality power supplies have made a significant difference in my system - my phono stage and ultrarendu both really benefitted from better PSUs, so I was keen to check this one out on the Gross.

I’ve been listening to a  jack de Johnette / Ravi Coltrane album all week so was keen to see how it fared.  Jack’s trademark rapid cymbal work hit hard, fast and exciting while still sounding like wood on metal. Nice and open staging and really great tone on the Sax. 

Then something completely different - Purcell’s Dido and Aeneas. we a/b’ed some superb and very extended individual soprano and massed female voice - tonally sounded the best I’ve heard this album, and we got a nicer front to back layering of voices - more depth than Im used to. 

This isn’t night and day difference, it’s a matter of degree and i can easily live with the standard power supply. But the improvement all round is there so it’s hard to resist. 

I am very keen to hear the newer silmic PSU which Clay will no doubt have to outsource to China to meet the orders. 

Well I've just posted my review of the Fein DAC in comparison to Chords latest and greatest - you'll find the post under "Fein DAC impressions'. 

The Kraftwerk power supply took the Fein from a really solid and great sounding DAC to absolutely terrific. It made a huge and substantial difference which is easy to hear, and is a dead set bargain when paired with a Fein DAC.

Can't recommend it enough. Don't umm and ahh if you're on the fence. Just grab one and you'll hear the difference.

I have received my Kraftwerk PSU from Clay recently and have been testing it with my dad's Klein DAC III and my GroB. I haven't had it for long, though I can say that the PSU has made some immediate differences to the sound of my Klein DAC III and my GroB. From my initial impressions, the PSU have resulted in a more spacious sound in that everything seems more evenly spaced out and there is an overall improvement in the tightness of the sound and better definition I guess you could call it. Though I should say it's early days yet, I'm thinking of getting a second one so I don't have to switch the PSU between DACs.

@Gieseler Audio Here's a question for you, is it currently possible/feasible to produce a Linear PSU for a MassDrop x THX 789 amp, which appears to take it 24VDC 1.8A. I'll get the plug measurements shortly.

Hi Richard,

yes that would be no problem.

I will PM you tomorrow with the details.

Cheers Clayton,

Take your time with it as I've got to source the amp first! Didn't think I'd be buying another LPSU after the first one but looks like it now!

I received one of Clay's Kraftwerk PSUs on Monday, but due to a super-busy week at work and being on the cusp of man-flu with the associated headaches, I didn't get time to listen to the PSU properly until tonight.

Warning - wanky audiophile words ahead - viewer discretion is advised.

Well, for me, the biggest difference is the additional clarity and separation. It's a clear step up. Pretty amazing really! When you go back to the stocker, the sound stage depth and width flattens a bit, and you are immediately aware of a more 2D sound.

It's intoxicating - I can see this being a very late night.

I note that the Klein III with the stock PSU is fantastic, and a noticeable improvement over the original Klein, so to achieve yet a further performance improvement with the Kraftwerk is the icing on the cake. It takes an already superb product to another level. 

Clay, you are a good man. Whilst I loved the Klein, the III plus the Kraftwerk is just sublime and it is bringing me so much enjoyment. Thank you!

I am well and truly Gieselerised!

52E789DD-A2E9-4EED-AA67-FCDD10A21F97.jpeg

Edited by pete_mac

I don't know if anyone else has both a GroB and a Klein DAC III but for me at least, the Kraftwerk PSU does more for me on the Klein DAC III than on the GroB. Well, it's MUCH more obvious on the Klein DAC III than on the GroB is what I'm trying to say.

More impressed as time goes on, just played the English Patient CD and in one track there is a mandolin playing through sections of the music which you could always hear. Add in the Kraftwerk PSU and you can here a second string instrument play alongside the Mandolin that we have never heard before. 

In another track for the first time we can hear the musician clearly breathing in and out as they are playing solo. Hearing this amount of detail is not unusual on some recordings, but not on this CD.

As I said previously the Kraftwerk PSU is the best bang for buck investment I have made in HiFi. The only slightly negative thing I have noticed is it takes a good five minutes after the PSU is switched on for it to sound it’s best, not a problem if your patient or if it is left on full time.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

I just received my Kraftwerk PSU this morning & connected it to my GroB. I wish it had rained all day, that way I might have some excuse for the 9 hours I’ve been listening to music. Run in schmunin, this has certainly exceeded my expectations straight out of the box. Superlatives abound.

Does anyone know if it's okay to have the Kraftwerk 'work' 24/7? lol bad pun.

Clay's  post on someone asking the same question

Has anyone heard a Gieseler power supply with a Qutest?

37 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Has anyone heard a Gieseler power supply with a Qutest?

I believe there's an issue with the high current /low voltage (5V) creating intolerably high heat - Clay might be able to better explain the situation. 

A few other Chord models are 12V so PSU's don't have same problem. 

evil is correct, due to the low 5v output trying to get anything more than 1A causes heat issues with any of my current linear designs.

A 5v at 5A unit is certainly possible but it would need to be a new dedicated design & based on a switcher which I’m not keen on.

16 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

based on a switcher which I’m not keen on.

A ssss... a ssssww... a ssssss.... sorry Clay, I just couldn’t force myself to say it! Hehe ;)

8 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

evil is correct, due to the low 5v output trying to get anything more than 1A causes heat issues with any of my current linear designs.

A 5v at 5A unit is certainly possible but it would need to be a new dedicated design & based on a switcher which I’m not keen on.

I see. I thought the new Kraftwerk might work. 

The base model Kraftwerk set to 5v will power a Qutest but will run hot so not ideal.

With the Qutest you would be better off trying it with a USB battery power bank.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/cygnett/cygnett-chargeup-pocket-8000mah-power-bank-with-integrated-lightning-cable/342074/

You could try it as a test & see how it compares to the standard supplied SMPS unit.

However I think the general consensus is that a linear PSU does not make much difference with the Qutest.

For a small improvement the iFi unit is supposed to be quite good.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iFi-iPower-5V-Audio-Power-Supply-AUTHORIZED-DEALER-/132481695739

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Hi Clay
Any thoughts on combining the kraftwerk and klein/fein/gross into a single box? Not sure if there's space inside the current dac cases to squeeze the psu parts.. but sum the prices, save on psu cases, less cable requirements and clutter for customers. Everybody wins?

Edited by custom_made

59 minutes ago, custom_made said:

Hi Clay
Any thoughts on combining the kraftwerk and klein/fein/gross into a single box? Not sure if there's space inside the current dac cases to squeeze the psu parts.. but sum the prices, save on psu cases, less cable requirements and clutter for customers. Everybody wins?

Sorry I disagree, not everybody wins if it is all in one box, yes for some it becomes more convenient. But the way it is now if you are a GroB, Fein or Klein lll dac owner then you have the current model, add on the Kraftwerk PS and you have the latest upgraded model because of the PS upgrade.

If there is a new combined model all in one case, if that is indeed possible, then everyone who presently owns a Grob, Fein or Klein lll then becomes the owner of the old model, even if they also own a external Kraftwerk, thus the secondhand value for those DAC owners is lowered. 

Plus as it is now Clay can now sell two options, the existing models become the entry level GroB, Fein, Klein lll DAC still at the existing price point or the prospective purchaser can buy the Limited Edition that comes with the Kraftwerk PS. If and or when the owner of the entry level DAC decides to or can afford to upgrade to the 'Limited edition' then all they have to do is buy the impressive PS.

Once you have it all in one box then the entry level price point shifts much higher because the RRP will have to go up accordingly to pay for the extra parts and labour, and when initial purchase prices go up that usually means less sales.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

Yes, you're probably right from a business standpoint. Might be better to keep it as is.. but that clean one box solution though.. :sweat:

maybe for the next generation of dacs?

Edited by custom_made

Hi custom-made,

thanks for the suggestion, I will think about it.