SOLD: FS: Price Drop! Sanders Magtech Stereo Power Amp

SOLD

Item: Sanders Magtech Stereo Power Amp
Price: $4,500 AUD
Item Condition: 8/10
Reason for selling: To fund the next step for me - monoblocks
Payment Method: Paypal or Bank transfer only

Extra Info: 

Price now dropped from $5,500 to $4,500 - still includes extra fuses (SR blue, Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme and generic standard ones - worth $700!!)

Does this amp really need any introduction? Just incase your answer is yes:

The Absolute Sound:

This no-nonsense amplifier was designed to drive any loudspeaker impedance, particularly full-range electrostatics, which can have an impedance of less than 1 ohm in the top octave. The Magtech “sounds as if it had infinite power into anything with total stability,” said REG. The fully regulated power supply is unusual. Delivering 500W into 8 ohms and 900W into 4, and fully stable driving capacitive loads, it is the perfect choice for electrostatics.

NB. For the record, this amp has been on their recommended amplifier list, since they reviewed it in 2014.

Dagogo:

I can strongly recommend this amp for most users, perhaps with the exception of those with 100 dB-plus efficient speakers. It is much better than other powerful solid-state amplifiers I have heard and is also inexpensive at $5000, factory direct or through a few dealers.

Stereotimes:

Although Apogee Stage loudspeakers are nominally rated at three ohms they can dip much lower. The Magtech appeared to have no care in the world; easily handing everything I threw at it. I was particularly impressed that at loud levels I could detect no discernable movement of the Apogee’s midrange tweeter ribbon (MRT). Lesser amplifiers can clip and cause the ribbons to dance with reckless abandon.

The Sanders Sound Systems Magtech amplifier deserves more than just name recognition. It is well worthy of consideration in any system where its power would be appropriate for the loudspeakers in use. But don’t take my word for it.

VXM:

OK, stop reading, like RIGHT NOW, go to Sanders Sound Systems, give Roger your $5,000 for his Magtech amp, hook it up, and then come back and start reading this again.

See what I mean?

It was all rather like establishing a great friendship.  The longer the Magtech and me hung out, the better it got, with the Magtech showing me new possibilities in musical enjoyment.

This is one really, truly recommended component.  Do not even think about spending more than five grand on an amp until you audition this piece of gear.

And if you own ribbons, or some power mad whatevers, it’s end of story.  Just buy the damn thing and live happily ever after.

The internet is awash with positive feedback and reviews for one of the most powerful, transparent, neutral and cool running amps in existence - for sane money!

Want to drive those Electrostats with amp crushing impedance dips? Or how about those fiendishly inefficient exotic speakers with monster bass drivers? The Magtech can drive speaker loads down to 1/3 of an Ohm!

With a damping factor of >600 into an 8 Ohm load, the Magtecg will control any drivers you put in it's path, all whilst staying cool.

Too much techno-babble? This amp will comfortably drive anything you put in front of it, without breaking a sweat, or your speakers ?

Really a marvellous amplifier that's never missed a beat and bought me many evenings of happiness.

Condition:

I'm the first owner, I've had all of the caps replaced and amp boards inside replaced, courtesy of Mr Sanders himself, so this is essentially a new unit. He's a great guy to deal with and I've never had such good customer service from any other brand, full stop.

I've rated it an 8/10 as there are a few tiny marks here and there (that are very tough to photograph they're so small, but I want you to know) in-line with a few years use. Nothing visible from sitting position.

NB. This amp has only ever been fed electricity from an Isotek Aquarius Evo III - I've looked after it well.

Freebies!:

As a free bonus I'll chuck in:

• the original fuses,
  • Hi-fi Tuning Supreme upgrade fuses
  • AND I've recently upgraded the fuses to Synergistic Research's premium fuse, the BLUE!

I'll chuck all of these in, so not only do you get a lovely upgrade for sound (if you're into that kind of thing ?) you also get three sets of fuses, with a value to the tune of $700 AUD. You can't say fairer than that can you?

What you need to know:

1. I'm a trustworthy seller - check my feedback on here. You're welcome to come over and have a listen (unless you know what this thing is capable of and don't need to).
  2. I can courier it - but you cover the costs, including insurance (I won't send it without).
  3. Packing and packaging: I do have the original foam shapes to protect the Magetch in shipping; just not the original cardboard box it came in.
  4. If you do need it couriered, I will get a custom, double walled box made (that's fit for purpose) especially for the Magtech 
    1. I'll even include wooden bracing and will do this at my own cost
    2. I have more than half a decade of experience, working in the packing and dispatch department of a warehouse that sold sensitive electronic equipment.
    3. I will send photos of the construction of packaging, to ensure your confidence in the safety of the Magtech
    4. I personally packed my system in the UK and it got to Western Australia without any damage.
  5. Any other questions? Fire away I'm happy to answer them. 

I am a serious audiophile and appreciate packages getting where they're meant to, and in perfect condition - thanks for looking.

Martin

Martin's Magtech.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, h.powell@qlab.com.au said:

I have a set of 3.7’s Maggie’s and could probably appreciate a power amp such as this. I would like to ask why you found it necessary to replace the caps in this amp?

Thank you

The ad says the fuses were upgraded. If you don’t like the very expensive fuses you can always put in some cheap generic fuses. This is a bargain for someone who wants a powerful amplifier. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, h.powell@qlab.com.au said:

Thanks for the feedback on the fuses but my question was about the cap replacement and why you found this necessary?

Hi Powell,

to to clarify that wasn’t me replying about the fuses.

Re: your question, the amp developed a fault with the biasing on one of its rails a few years ago (I think this is the right terminology, I’m not an engineer). I spoke to Roger Sanders and he explained that the amp had slipped into higher than normal class A bias and that if I wanted he could send out replacement amp boards, so I took him up on that offer. It was then that I found a couple of the caps had leaked and so he replaced (all of) those for me too.

An engineer carried out the replacements for me.

Thank for asking, you have reminded me about the amp boards being replaced also. I may go back and update the advert to reflect this - I only mentioned the caps in the first place as I believe in transparency.

For the record I’ve not had another issue since the work.

I just reread my advert and realise I talk about the power of this unit and there’s so much more to it than that, it’s not a brute, it’s capable of delivering delicate musical information as well. Especially with the posh fuses ?

Martin

Edited by realysm42
  • Like 1

On 29/09/2018 at 11:08 PM, h.powell@qlab.com.au said:

I have a set of 3.7’s Maggie’s and could probably appreciate a power amp such as this. I would like to ask why you found it necessary to replace the caps in this amp?

Thank you

I use a Magtech to drive 1.7r and it does it with ease.  I also use it to drive 1.8 ohm ribbons with 11” Elton drivers x2  all in parallel with ease...

The Magtech originally was produced with 100v 10,000uf in the original design.  The amp modules have 10 pairs of OnSemi output devices, 4 are Thermaltrak and have thermistors to monitor temperature.of the transistors silicon die and are strategically placed on the module.    The issue the OP had was that some production of Thermaltrak devices had developed a thermal runaway causing the module to bias itself heavily into class A...  OnSemi are aware of the issue and Roger had no issue in sending brand new amplifier modules, not one but 2 new ones at his cost.  

In reference to the caps,  Roger had 120V 8200uf custom made...

why this value? 2 reasons:

The Magtech was designed with 100V rail voltage,  so any increase in mains voltage will resulted in exceeding the 100Vdc of those supply caps.   So he specified 120VDC...  theres no manufacturer  supplying 120VDC 10, 000uf into the space required in the dimensions of the Magtech space....  I’ve enquired and checked!  So to fit 120V caps the next best thing is to use 8200uf and not 10,000uf.

The OP basically got 2 new amp modules and all the latest caps replaced which are used in the current production for reliability...   delivered to him at Rogers expense! 

The Magtech are a up to date with the latest modern production techniques with serviceability in mind.  The pcbs are all connected with high quality gold plated pin plugs, so  that you can’t get it wrong. 

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 months later...