Sign in to follow this  
Stephen0804

New TT Advice?

10 minutes ago, rantan said:

@Stephen0804

That looks like a good deal. May I ask from whom you bought it?

Thanks.

from audiotrends.com via email correspondence, its also where i got my previous turntable

I had a 1Xpression III with 2M Red. (hated the Red but really liked the TT).

Owned two 2Xperiences (still have one). A significant step up on the 1Xpression. The Black won't be wasted on the TT. I've used carts with much more resolution and detail on it with great effect. 

ENJOY!

36 minutes ago, Citroen said:

I had a 1Xpression III with 2M Red. (hated the Red but really liked the TT).

Owned two 2Xperiences (still have one). A significant step up on the 1Xpression. The Black won't be wasted on the TT. I've used carts with much more resolution and detail on it with great effect. 

ENJOY!

good to know that for the future if i decide to upgrade the cart further.

On 30/09/2018 at 10:27 AM, Stephen0804 said:

not to keen on Rega not that ive ever tried one, and from what i can tell they dont do ortofon carts

I think you'll find a Rega arm will have no problem with a Ortofon cartridge.  

1 minute ago, Rocketfrogs said:

I think you'll find a Rega arm will have no problem with a Ortofon cartridge.  

im sure it would fit an ortofon cart but i was referring to the fact that vaf the store being mentioned dont sell ortofon carts yet, as i prefer to get the turntable and cart from the same store

Ahhh...I see what you meant. However you can get some great deals on cartridges if you shop around (i.e, 2juki etc) and Rega arms are a breeze to set up.

A thought bubble best deleted.

Thanks @Wimbo:thumb:

Edited by rantan

59 minutes ago, rantan said:

Don't wish to hijack but it seems the OP has found his 'table so....................

I am considering  the purchase of a new 'table and I am also thinking of something slightly different, maybe a MoFi Ultradeck or an Elac Miracord 90,both of which I can get at very favourable pricing  (due to having a contact at the distributors for these brands) but I am open to most other suggestions beyond Rega.

Thank you.

SOTA Star Saphire mate.  Talk to Cam:thumb:

Hows it going @Stephen0804 with the 2Xp?  I just upgraded to one as well from a Project Classic and loving it so far.  I few things I was a bit puzzled about though - a single button which controls speed & power on - I'm not sure I like having to hold the button down for 3 seconds to stop the turntable.  With the classic I use to flip the record while the platter was still spinning (one less thing to do besides moving the tone arm & antistatic brushing/dust cleaning.   On the 2XP without a felt mat and the record clamp too I'm not so confident in doing that so I hold the power button down for 3 seconds between flips.    I got the orange MC cart with mine for around the same price so you did well there with the black cart. 

Edited by mrbrown66

On 13/10/2018 at 5:38 PM, Stephen0804 said:

im sure it would fit an ortofon cart but i was referring to the fact that vaf the store being mentioned dont sell ortofon carts yet, as i prefer to get the turntable and cart from the same store

Hi Stephen, thought I'd chime in to let you know we are an Ortofon reseller. We also support VanDenHul, REGA and Soundsmith.

Very happy to help you out if you're thinking of changing anything, arm or cart or just an alignment and tune up.

The Soundsmith entry level is an amazing cart and pushes the performance of the the 2M Black. We have both on the floor to audition. We'll trade in too.

:)

Cheers for now,

Simon

3 minutes ago, VAF said:

Hi Stephen, thought I'd chime in to let you know we are an Ortofon reseller. We also support VanDenHul, REGA and Soundsmith.

Very happy to help you out if you're thinking of changing anything, arm or cart or just an alignment and tune up.

The Soundsmith entry level is an amazing cart and pushes the performance of the the 2M Black. We have both on the floor to audition. We'll trade in too.

:)

Cheers for now,

Simon

ok thanks, that's good to know

ill keep that in mind for future installments/upgrades

1 hour ago, mrbrown66 said:

Hows it going @Stephen0804 with the 2Xp?  I just upgraded to one as well from a Project Classic and loving it so far.  I few things I was a bit puzzled about though - a single button which controls speed & power on - I'm not sure I like having to hold the button down for 3 seconds to stop the turntable.  With the classic I use to flip the record while the platter was still spinning (one less thing to do besides moving the tone arm & antistatic brushing/dust cleaning.   On the 2XP without a felt mat and the record clamp too I'm not so confident in doing that so I hold the power button down for 3 seconds between flips.    I got the orange MC cart with my for around the same price so you did well there with the black cart. 

only just got my 2Xperience yesterday so haven't set it up yet, will let you know how it goes after i play a couple records :D

After finally setting it up on Saturday and updated the settings on my Devialet 220 Pro (so that it knows im now using an Ortofon 2m black) i took it for a spin.

First up was my 33-1/3 LP album Anthropocene by Peter Oren, the first thing i noticed was that with the same volume setting that i used on my previous turntable the music is a bit louder. After which i noticed the lack of absolutely all background hum (at least to my ears), as the first track "Burden of Proof" started i was struck by the clarity of the acoustic guitar followed by Peter Oren's awesome vocals. I then skipped to his third track "Falling Water" which is my favorite track on the album, and noticed once again the clarity of the acoustic guitar followed by the vocals but this time was shocked when the bass hit, not by the loudness of the bass but the clarity and precision of the bass with no muddiness at all.

Next up was my new copy of my 45 full size LP album Battle Lines by Bob Moses, the first track "Heaven Only Knows" again the clarity of the vocals was on point followed by synth and bass which again was impressive for clarity and precision, i was then greeted with some pretty awesome sounding percussion. I let it continue to play without paying to much attention, when about two thirds into track 2 "Battle Lines" i was captivated by the introduction of the electric guitar and as such turned the volume up (as you do :D) it wasn't so much the guitar itself but the sounds around it like the guitarist knocking on the body of guitar and bumping the other strings etc. Its hard to explain but i was captivated nonetheless, and continued with the remainder of the album.

While writing this i listened to the same track by Bob Moses from my cd rip on my pc but could not hear the same level of detail in the guitar riff that i heard on the 45 LP,  the first time to me that vinyl has sounded noticeably better than its digital counterpart.

so in conclusion by upgrading my turntable and cartridge i have noticed a perceivable difference in both a lower noise floor/background hum with increased clarity and decreased muddiness in bass.

Edited by Stephen0804

19 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Isn't it great when you spend a bit, but get paid back with full enjoyment like this?  Congrats.

definitely worth it :)