SAMSUNG Q9FN or LG C8 OLED, fear of burn in.

So I'm in the market for one of these TVs and narrowed my choices down to these two. Out of the OLEDs the LG C8 is my pick due to it having the lowest input lag (I'm a gamer and this is important to me, the equivalent Sony A8F has close to double the input lag) and the other TV im considering is the high end Samsung Q9FN. I know when it comes to overall picture quality the LG C8 will be better but from what i've read and heard the Samsung is pretty darn close despite being an LCD TV. It will be used in a dark environment so the additional brightness of the Samsung is not a selling point for me. My only concern thats swaying me from the OLED C8 is the burn in and its no such issue with the Q9FN. Is OLED burn in as common and as bad as people say it is or is it blown out of proportion? If it is that much of an issue I'll just get the Samsung and call it a day.

13 minutes ago, Satanica said:

How common and how bad do people say it is? ?

You should see the youtube comment section..... There are quite a few LG OLEDs at my work that have had to have their panels replaced due to burn in, then again thats a very specific use case....

Edited by TheWretchedWorld

Samsung QLED gives you a warranty on screen burn in,  “burn out”.   QLED won’t suffer the issues that LG OLEDs suffer.  It didn’t take me long when I go shopping with the BOSS and just happen to drop in to a few JB, Myer or Goodguys and spot LG OLEDs degrading, not hard to spot!   And that’s still in the shop on display!   When they crank up the screens and run a demo file on a loop it doesn’t take long for a top of the line LG screen to see the damage.  Once the damage is noticeable it will draw your eyes towards it every time.  With large panel technology the market is rapidly changing, every manufacturer is updating there range every 6-9 mths so you can pick up a bargain.  Impressive as they are I won’t touch a LG OLED, or any other manufacturer using LG OLED panels.   if I were to spend that amount of money I’d go for the QLED....but like I said, it’s 4k flooded panels, 8K is now on the door step!  

As suggested earlier, watched some of the utube and listen to the comments, but I’ve done one better:

• Like 1

I think the burn in issues are over rated tbh.

i have had an lg OLED for around twelve months now and couldn’t be happier with it. The picture is frankly brilliant.

That being said, I took the time to run it i for a couple of months by not pumping up the settings and not having any static images on it. We now watch Foxtel  etc. with a lot of static frames etc. and I am not seeing any image retention whatsoever. But I am not using it for gaming. If you do buy an OLED I would strongly suggest running it in for a while prior to any extended gaming on it.

Having said that my parents have a Sammy Q9, it is a nice tv, I prefer the picture on the OLED, but I think the sammy would be quite good for general use and gaming. 

We are going to get a larger OLED soon, possibly the Panasonic.

I would suggest if you are gaming more than anything else and are worried about the possibility of burn in, just buy th Sammy. But if you are 70 or 80% tv and the rest gaming, an OLED will be more rewarding long term.

Good luck with your purchase, they are both very nice TV’s.

• Like 1

I have a Panasonic 2017 OLED (EZ-950).  I think one of the 'features' is something which moves those fixed images around to lower the risk of 'burn-in'.

The EZ-950 includes a Pixel Orbiter feature that intermittently shifts the pixels to prevent image retention and a Panel Maintenance feature that operates when you turn the TV off.

We are very happy with our OLED.

I don't know about the LG panels though.

Benje

The Panasonic is an LG Panel. And the LG has similar pixel rotation features. The Panasonic 2017 actually had significantly more issues with banding. Better in the 18 models I am lead to believe. But tbh apart from processing they are fairly similar in performance, which is good.

9 hours ago, Ray H said:

I would suggest if you are gaming more than anything else and are worried about the possibility of burn in, just buy th Sammy. But if you are 70 or 80% tv and the rest gaming, an OLED will be more rewarding long term.

+1

i have a older model 18 month old lg 55inch B6T and just after 12 months started noticing burn in, to be fair though at the time i wasn't aware burn in was a thing on oled tvs and as such took no care leaving static images up for long periods, to lg's credit though they replaced the panel no questions asked even when there warranty doesn't specifically cover burn in.

i believe they replaced the panel with a newer model one as the anti glare tint was blueish not red, since then no issues and i now take more car.

i love my oled and would never get anything else apart from a newer model oled, can't beat them in terms of black levels, and im sure lg has improved the technology since my older model

• 3 weeks later...

My 2016 OLED was a refurb and I have zero burn in so far. I game a lot and paut a fair few hours into the TV. But I certainly use a wide array of different viewing on it. I'd have to compare them side by side but last time I did, nothing came close to the OLED.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I may start a new thread to give insight into my ownership experience with an oled tv as a gamer/avid netflix and blu ray junkie. See if i run into issues under these real world usage conditions. Hopefully this will make people's purchase decisions easier. TV arriving on Monday.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TheWretchedWorld said:

Well to conclude this thread I bought the c8 oled.... It was too good a deal to pass up and it was significantly cheaper than the q9fn even with staff price. Something irks me about paying significantly more money for a tv with worse picture quality.

What screen size did you get? And price 

Decided I'm just gonna buy it, after further research (the whole day ?) Think I'm just gonna risk it, the reality is I got home and content insurance anyway, on top of this apparently after speaking to few people with one and others that lets say work in the industry it's apparently very rare to burn in and from what I been reading it's just a very unlucky minority who are screaming the loudest as you would expect. And yes I saw those photos videos posted by another member here who seems intent on burning oled to the ground of the LG oled in shopping centres etc and the burn in tests done under extreme use cases and the reality is we don't watch TV at it's eye bleeding brightest settings 24 hours a day and mainly stick to Netflix and apple tv with occasional news station going on and some gaming.  The rest of the stuff we do is on iPads.  So worst case I call in my home and content insurance premium, best case I get an awesome tv at substantial discount. 

Edited by JimmyiovinE
  • Like 3