Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Ants01

Thorens TD 125 paired with SME 3009 tonearm.

Recommended Posts

Hi All

 

Currently upgrading a Thorens TD 125. It is in mint condition with original TP 25 tonearm, but have read the SME 3009 tonearm (which was a config option when it was originally sold) is better if I want to use a modern, high compliance cartridge. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ants01 said:

Hi All

 

Currently upgrading a Thorens TD 125. It is in mint condition with original TP 25 tonearm, but have read the SME 3009 tonearm (which was a config option when it was originally sold) is better if I want to use a modern, high compliance cartridge. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

 

A high compliance cartridge (which generally means an MM cart) - modern or old - requires an arm with a low effective mass.  According to the Vinyl Engine arm data base, the 3009 Series 2 comes in 3 different effective weights:

  • 3009 Series 2 improved - 6.5gm (very low)
  • 3009 Series 2 S2 improved - 9.5gm (low-medium)
  • 3009 Series 2 - 12.5gm (medium)

 

Andy

 

Edited by andyr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, andyr said:
  • 3009 Series 2 improved - 6.5gm (very low)
  • 3009 Series 2 S2 improved - 9.5gm (low-medium)
  •  3009 Series 2 - 12.5gm (medium)

and the Thorens arm is about 16 g, so yes, it would be better, but what cartridge were you thinking of using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

and the Thorens arm is about 16 g, so yes, it would be better, but what cartridge were you thinking of using?

16g would make it too heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

16g would make it too heavy.

I think that was the point of switching to the SME for high compliance carts, yes.

 

To clarify, I was saying it would be better to use the SME.

Edited by aussievintage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aussievintage said:

I think that was the point of switching to the SME for high compliance carts, yes.

Pardon mate, missunderstood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, andyr said:

A high compliance cartridge (which generally means an MM cart) - modern or old - requires an arm with a low effective mass.  According to the Vinyl Engine arm data base, the 3009 Series 2 comes in 3 different effective weights:

  • 3009 Series 2 improved - 6.5gm (very low)
  • 3009 Series 2 S2 improved - 9.5gm (low-medium)
  • 3009 Series 2 - 12.5gm (medium)

 

Andy

 

 

52 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

and the Thorens arm is about 16 g, so yes, it would be better, but what cartridge were you thinking of using?

 

You quoted my post with your above answer … but you really need to ask the OP what cart he's intending to use.  :)

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

 

You quoted my post with your above answer … but you really need to ask the OP what cart he's intending to use.  :)

 

Andy

 

 

You are correct Andy!  :baby:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi There. Thinking of using an Ortofon 2M black - compliance rating is 20, so I'm aiming to find a 3009 Series 2 improved - 6.5gm. I think that combination should put me in a good resonance range. Does that sound right to you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ants01 said:

Hi There. Thinking of using an Ortofon 2M black - compliance rating is 20, so I'm aiming to find a 3009 Series 2 improved - 6.5gm. I think that combination should put me in a good resonance range. Does that sound right to you?

That'll give you 9 or 10Hz resonance.   Good.

 

Have you seen this page?    https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php?eff_mass=6.5&submit=Submit        Very handy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


18 hours ago, Ants01 said:

Hi There. Thinking of using an Ortofon 2M black - compliance rating is 20, so I'm aiming to find a 3009 Series 2 improved - 6.5gm. I think that combination should put me in a good resonance range. Does that sound right to you?

The Vinyl Engine "Cart Resonance Calculator" shows the 3009 Series 2 S2 improved - at 9.5gm eff weight - is good too.

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S2 improved = removable headshell , effective mass 9.5grams

 

Series II Improved = fixed headshell, effective mass 6.5 grams

 

Very confusing from SME.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/09/2018 at 6:50 PM, Ants01 said:

Hi There. Thinking of using an Ortofon 2M black - compliance rating is 20, so I'm aiming to find a 3009 Series 2 improved - 6.5gm. I think that combination should put me in a good resonance range. Does that sound right to you?

I have a 2M black on one here at home (Thorens 124 MK2) and it sounds pretty darn good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Resonance calculations aside, I have had Shures, Ortofons, ATs, Stantons, and probably others I have forgotten, also different weighted headshells, on my SME 3009 arms (series II and improved), and all seem to work great.   It's a great versatile arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...