Thorens TD 125 paired with SME 3009 tonearm.

Hi All

Currently upgrading a Thorens TD 125. It is in mint condition with original TP 25 tonearm, but have read the SME 3009 tonearm (which was a config option when it was originally sold) is better if I want to use a modern, high compliance cartridge. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

13 hours ago, Ants01 said:

Hi All

Currently upgrading a Thorens TD 125. It is in mint condition with original TP 25 tonearm, but have read the SME 3009 tonearm (which was a config option when it was originally sold) is better if I want to use a modern, high compliance cartridge. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

A high compliance cartridge (which generally means an MM cart) - modern or old - requires an arm with a low effective mass.  According to the Vinyl Engine arm data base, the 3009 Series 2 comes in 3 different effective weights:

• 3009 Series 2 improved - 6.5gm (very low)
  • 3009 Series 2 S2 improved - 9.5gm (low-medium)
  • 3009 Series 2 - 12.5gm (medium)

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, andyr said:

A high compliance cartridge (which generally means an MM cart) - modern or old - requires an arm with a low effective mass.  According to the Vinyl Engine arm data base, the 3009 Series 2 comes in 3 different effective weights:

• 3009 Series 2 improved - 6.5gm (very low)
  • 3009 Series 2 S2 improved - 9.5gm (low-medium)
  • 3009 Series 2 - 12.5gm (medium)

Andy

52 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

and the Thorens arm is about 16 g, so yes, it would be better, but what cartridge were you thinking of using?

You quoted my post with your above answer … but you really need to ask the OP what cart he's intending to use.  :)

Andy

Hi There. Thinking of using an Ortofon 2M black - compliance rating is 20, so I'm aiming to find a 3009 Series 2 improved - 6.5gm. I think that combination should put me in a good resonance range. Does that sound right to you?

19 minutes ago, Ants01 said:

Hi There. Thinking of using an Ortofon 2M black - compliance rating is 20, so I'm aiming to find a 3009 Series 2 improved - 6.5gm. I think that combination should put me in a good resonance range. Does that sound right to you?

That'll give you 9 or 10Hz resonance.   Good.

Have you seen this page?    https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php?eff_mass=6.5&submit=Submit        Very handy

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ants01 said:

The Vinyl Engine "Cart Resonance Calculator" shows the 3009 Series 2 S2 improved - at 9.5gm eff weight - is good too.

Andy

On 27/09/2018 at 6:50 PM, Ants01 said:

I have a 2M black on one here at home (Thorens 124 MK2) and it sounds pretty darn good.