Any Teresa Teng fans -- recommended recordings

Hi Everyone

Ive just discovered Teresa Teng Wikipedia and I'm well on the way to becoming a rabid fanboy.

Are there any other fans on SNA?

Do you have any recommendations for particular box sets or audiophile recordings? Do you know of any collections of her singing in English? I've got Cds with a few scattered English songs but it would be good to have them all in the one place.

I realize saying "I've just discovered Teresa Teng" is like saying "I've just discovered The Beatles (or Miles Davis, or Bach)" :blush: I've just come back from Singapore and Thailand and couldn't find anything by her (I couldn't make it to the Adelphi or Bangkok) so I have to rely on buying by mail order. One issue I have is that all the CDs/LPs have the song titles in Chinese or Japanese without romanisation so I can't find which records have the songs I most like. As she has hundreds of releases (if you include the compilations) I can't just buy them all.

Thanks in advance

ES

The only album I have seen which is a compilation of English songs by Teresa Teng is this:

https://www.yesasia.com/global/20-teresa-teng-east-meets-west/1044522755-0-0-0-en/info.html

You can find more albums by Teresa Teng on the Yesasia site - I have bought from them before and they are quite reliable.  My two favourite Teresa Teng albums (in Chinese) are https://www.audiophilereferencerecordings.com.au/teresa-teng-15th-anniversary-greatest-hits.html (which is good compilation of her best songs) and her Poems album (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandan_youqing).  

I don't think that '20 East meets West' album has any English songs. They should be all Chinese cover version of some English songs. I think I have only heard her singing English songs in some live concert recordings (eg. 1982 in HK, 1985 in Tokyo). Tidal or Spotify have a large collection of her albums and should be helpful for finding out what you like.

I only have some of her Chinese CDs.

According to google search, there’s only been one English album that she has ever released called “The Way We Were”.  Combination of studio and live recordings. See screenshots below showing album cover and song list. 

Assuming you cannot read Chinese. If you need more info, let me know and I can find out more about her discography and let you know. 

F29F9298-A677-47AE-8ACF-436716706210.jpeg

37721161-E209-45C9-88EB-83D91840C607.jpeg

Edited by att23
Deleted photo

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/10/2018 at 11:21 AM, att23 said:

I only have some of her Chinese CDs.

According to google search, there’s only been one English album that she has ever released called “The Way We Were”.  Combination of studio and live recordings. See screenshots below showing album cover and song list. 

Assuming you cannot read Chinese. If you need more info, let me know and I can find out more about her discography and let you know. 

F29F9298-A677-47AE-8ACF-436716706210.jpeg

37721161-E209-45C9-88EB-83D91840C607.jpeg

Thank you! That album has never appeared on any of my searches.

ES

On 02/10/2018 at 11:34 AM, att23 said:

Just wondering, is language barrier the main reason that you are only interested in her very limited English songs? Aren’t you missing out all her other fabulous releases? 

@att23 No, just laziness. I would like her English tracks in one place if possible. I would listen to her singing anything in any language. Also, I grew up with the songs she has recorded in English such as You Don't Have to Say You Love Me and Flashdance (What a Feeling) so those have extra importance to me in English as opposed to in Chinese, Japanese or French.

If I could drag myself into the 21st century I could make custom playlists (or use those of other people) from digital files that would avoid the issue of course.?

ES

After much searching...

There's also this. Similar but not identical track list. Described as a DSD recording. I've only found it listed on a site last updated in 2009 and even then it was out of stock.

ES

374-361-large.jpg

Edited by everyones_shadow
Almose certainly not a true DSD recording given the age
  • Like 1

@everyones_shadow if you do not mind listening to Chinese songs and since you can enjoy Teresa Teng then i can recommend the below. they are great female vocalist and easily available from streaming service like Tidal or Deezer. Or you can try listening to them on You Tube to get a taste.

1. Tsai Chin

2. Sandy Lam

3. Priscilla Chan (Not Mark Zuckenberg's wife!) 

On 18/10/2018 at 7:22 PM, jgunner said:

@everyones_shadow if you do not mind listening to Chinese songs and since you can enjoy Teresa Teng then i can recommend the below. they are great female vocalist and easily available from streaming service like Tidal or Deezer. Or you can try listening to them on You Tube to get a taste.

1. Tsai Chin

2. Sandy Lam

3. Priscilla Chan (Not Mark Zuckenberg's wife!) 

Hi @jgunner

I'm not sure whether to thank you for this. You may have opened a floodgate that sweeps away all my spare time and money.