Razorblade Quadratic Diffuser HIRE

Stump

2 hours ago, HdB said:

Sorry,

Is there a kit form on the market? 

There are various brand names that look the same! Current price in the USA is US  $1,249 .So local price may now be higher . Cheaper  models will vibrate and change the frequency the  Primacoustic Razorblade QRD produces.

Edited by Stump

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at the price for those things!! 

And you need multiple units as each single diffuser only goes from 850 - 3k4Hz  - this makes the Razorblades look 'cheap' in comparison!

A couple of years ago, SGR had some QD-13 kits made (350 - 4kHz) but couldn't attract buyers at about A$300 per kit/unit form - I can't remember who bought the lot as a sale item but definitely a bargain in comparison to the prices shown on these 'Pro-audio' sites 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HdB said:

Have a look at the price for those things!! 

And you need multiple units as each single diffuser only goes from 850 - 3k4Hz  - this makes the Razorblades look 'cheap' in comparison!

A couple of years ago, SGR had some QD-13 kits made (350 - 4kHz) but couldn't attract buyers at about A$300 per kit/unit form - I can't remember who bought the lot as a sale item but definitely a bargain in comparison to the prices shown on these 'Pro-audio' sites 

I think you get what you pay for.If you make them out of cardboard you will not get the result .Before I bought X2 Razorblade QRD I could not find anyone who has used them.In my quest for room treatment I bought them and although costly they do the job.Maybe thats where it better to hire before you buy.Talking with a Acoustic Engineer he spoke of audiophiles with deep pockets changing equipment all there life  where the one thing they didn't change was there room..... 

Stump

Yes, I think a big part of the price is the quality of the room acoustic advice that comes with it in the pro-audio world and this can indeed be well worth the cost.

As you can see from your own units, if you are handy with your hands and have the necessary equipment, you could build these, or their 'bigger brothers' (QD-11, 13, 17, etc) yourself as the materials are readily available but they do take some effort to get everything setup and they are quite heavy too. 

Not the easiest things to make - I struggled with the consistent 6mm rebate (grooves) in the top/bottom/back panels (by1/4" router bit)  and I'll get this done at the timber suppliers next time.

Tim Perry's 'leanfusers' (see Arqen Audio) are a lot simpler to build but if using the high density styrene foam, it does absorb some of the sound energy, so this type of build is a combination absorber and diffuser - it still works very well.

It still surprises me that there's an extreme reluctance of the hifi fraternity to embrace anything to do with room acoustics and assume that a dsp will solve all problems - strange really  ....

• Like 1

Anything can be made just like the factory with the right tools and know how.Accustic Fields even sell you the plans.Look what people spend on cables yet no interest in room acoustics .I am going ahead and ordering 4X   AQ1000S Removable Acoustc Baffle - Black .I first seen them used at a HIFI Show couple of years ago and even with the landed price I dont think I could match the quality finish at the price..

1599191049_HIFI--AQ1000S-1C1.jpg.e141a80e1fee802d215d8400f5a12083.jpg712506468_AQ1000S-P.jpg.4ad0dfa17471a5995eb901621e1ca0fd.jpg

https://www.soundboxacoustic.com/shop/sound-absorption/aq1000s-removable-acoustc-baffle/?attribute_color=Black-XK268-4

2 hours ago, HdB said:

It still surprises me that there's an extreme reluctance of the hifi fraternity to embrace anything to do with room acoustics and assume that a dsp will solve all problems - strange really

I think to most people that room acoustics:

Seems like a lot of effort / poor aesthetics (and expensive at retail)

Is almost impossible to do a good A vs B test of / difficult to predict the behaviour of

Comes with some stigma to do with the risk of "over treating a room" / a stigma of "crazy audiophile"

Edited by davewantsmoore

16 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

I think to most people that room acoustics:

Seems like a lot of effort / poor aesthetics (and expensive at retail)

Is almost impossible to do a good A vs B test of / difficult to predict the behaviour of

Comes with some stigma to do with the risk of "over treating a room" / a stigma of "crazy audiophile"

So what is the downside?

?

Edited by Stump

There's the SNA audio show here in Melbourne this next weekend - I wonder how many exhibitors will use any room acoustic products in an attempt to get a 'better sound'  -  not just for the small rooms, but the big ones too?

I might be pleasantly surprised ...

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 10:54 PM, HdB said:

There's the SNA audio show here in Melbourne this next weekend - I wonder how many exhibitors will use any room acoustic products in an attempt to get a 'better sound'  -  not just for the small rooms, but the big ones too?

I might be pleasantly surprised ...

I found most rooms using Vicoustic - treatments from basic up to there $2500 each panels.That was more then last years and I think it toned down a lot of BOOM which was a complaint between rooms from previous 2 shows.

Stump