Brendon Foster

Full, rich, forward presentation. Recommendations please....

14 hours ago, Brendon Foster said:

So today one of the SNA forum members kindly came over to my place with an Accuphase e260 with DAC40 module. What a beast of an amp! Never heard my speakers sound so engaging at mid-low volume. Two issues however prevented me from pulling the trigger. When increasing the volume (never got past 10.30 on the dial) the treble on my usually incredibly smooth speakers became a little hard and shouty, and the bass became a tad muddy. Despite this, the speakers sounded, rich, powerful, musical and was no doubt an improvement on my own Peachtree Nova 150, especially in the DAC section.

The search continues but I'm getting closer. Still dying to try out Parasound, Hegel and Moon... Anyone in Perth with the above that want to bring some great up for a listen and a beer?

I'd suggest the Parasound Halo will not be to your liking as I found a bit uncivilised and harsh, but it's certainly forward. I never got to try the Hegel (really wanted to) but was assured $ for $ the Moon Neo Ace was more powerful and also better at low volume, apparently to the zero negative feedback design in all Moon amps. Some other manufacturers including Accuphase I believe, use this design principle/topology (is that the right use of the word?).

I'd suggest the Parasound Halo will not be to your liking as I found a bit uncivilised and harsh, but it's certainly forward. I never got to try the Hegel (really wanted to) but was assured $ for $ the Moon Neo Ace was more powerful and also better at low volume, apparently to the zero negative feedback design in all Moon amps. Some other manufacturers including Accuphase I believe, use this design principle/topology (is that the right use of the word?).

Thanks for your input blybo. TBH I don't mind if an amp isn't particularly civilized, I'm looking to capture the energy of a front row seat in the performance. However it needs to do this while retaining iron grip and control of 4 x 12" drivers. Interestingly, with my Peachtree, I can turn the music up seriously loud and it never loses its composure in the bass or treble. Just gives very even handed presentation of the music as high as I can stand to listen to it, but in all instances compared to the Naim, Roksan and Accuphase amp's it sounds thin by comparison with less fluidity and ease of reproduction. All of those amps that I like though sound great at low volume but seem to become hard edged when turning up the dial.

I'm starting to wonder if these amps are pushing the compression drivers on my spatials to reproduce frequencies they haven't been asked to perform before. Maybe the compression drivers need further running in with these amps? Maybe my Peachtree rounds of some of the frequency extremes...

Any other spatial owners here had similar experiences?@luc

Perhaps you should try moving up the Accuphase line.  As good as the 200 series is, the 300 and 400 series are better. 
More expensive too of course but that goes without saying.
Hi Cafad, I have definitely considered this but unfortunately my cabinet prevents me from moving up the line due to the height and space for cooling. If it wasn't for that I would have a lot more options and I would probably be looking at the luxman range of gear.

On 28/09/2018 at 1:08 PM, Onslo said:

I was describing the ME preamp George, as you say a perfect match for an ME power amp.

It is an opamp based pre with an Alps blue pot. Nothing exotic.  

Ive taken the top off a couple of preamps to show an ME 14 which is a good simple preamp and a better preamp with a stepped attenuator from Pass Labs. I know which I prefer.

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

That’s not what my ME14 looks like inside... might be time to rethink 

9 hours ago, Brendon Foster said:

Any other spatial owners here had similar experiences?@luc

Sorry but you guys are talking in rarefied air a place I never go too. I turn my amp on and play music and I don't think along the lines your discussing or worry about it.

My speakers sound great with a 17watt 46 year old Sansui driving them and the same with 45w pure class A Weston. Easy speakers to drive as far as I'm concerned. 

I'm luckier than most in that I have a dedicated listening room that's been acoustically modified to the best of my budget so I'm not dealing with the strictures of a normal living room and it makes a huge difference and I'm sure it's why I don't fuss too much about my gear as it just sounds great in my room. You can have all the power and finesse of top amps and cables and a great front end but if your room is full of reflections and hard surfaces ect ect then your behind the 8 ball.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

Plenty of people here have said that the biggest improvement to SQ they've heard have been when they've treated their rooms. Maybe you should look into to that at some stage.

10 hours ago, Brendon Foster said:
15 hours ago, Cafad said:
Perhaps you should try moving up the Accuphase line.  As good as the 200 series is, the 300 and 400 series are better. 
More expensive too of course but that goes without saying.

Hi Cafad, I have definitely considered this but unfortunately my cabinet prevents me from moving up the line due to the height and space for cooling. If it wasn't for that I would have a lot more options and I would probably be looking at the luxman range of gear.

Luxman will roll off sooner than your Peachtree. I demo’ed a class A Luxman and didn’t even bother bringing it home for a proper demo. Lovely for soft Muzak etc but not a rock amp. 

As @Luc has mentioned it’s my room that makes my treble harsh at high volume and it’s been that way regardless of speaker or amp. Being a family room I’ve just done things like soft furnishings, rug etc to try and tame it. 

On 04/10/2018 at 8:12 PM, Brendon Foster said:
On 04/10/2018 at 10:43 AM, audio_file said:
Roksan Caspian M2.
Sugden A21A Signature.

Have searches alerts on pretty much every site or there for a Caspian but seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo!

https://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/roksan-caspian-m2-series-integrated-amplifier.html