TEAC R2R 4-track running sloooowww

RTR001

Hey all, I'm hoping someone on here may have some experience with old TEAC 4-track machines...

I have a a TEAC A-3440 in really lovely condition but at the moment it's running slow and I can't figure out why. The speed of this machine on high should be 15ips but it runs at more like 3 1/2. I've replaced all the belts for the correct replacements, checked that the capstan and motor spin freely. I've cheeked the feed motors and they run freely as well. Everything works perfectly except for the slow speed.

Any ideas would be appreciated

20180916_120446.thumb.jpg.009c9a766f599da70cecba4cddd9d70f.jpg

Just a couple of questions so I will be able to address some possible causes.

1. Was the deck running okay before? (If so, I would expect this to be a recent and sudden problem).

2. Does the left reel offer a small or large amount of resistance when turned by hand when the machine is in the PLAY mode?

This machine uses a d.c. servo motor connected to the capstan via a belt.  The belt may be stretched, however this fault normally manifests itself as slow and varying tape speed.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Sorry for the slow reply guys.

On 23/09/2018 at 4:56 PM, hiya said:

Also check to make sure there is no tape delamination and the heads are clean and shiny and capstan is clean

Nothing like that. Everything is clean as a whistle.

On 23/09/2018 at 11:57 AM, Monkeyboi said:

Just a couple of questions so I will be able to address some possible causes.

1. Was the deck running okay before? (If so, I would expect this to be a recent and sudden problem).

2. Does the left reel offer a small or large amount of resistance when turned by hand when the machine is in the PLAY mode?

This machine uses a d.c. servo motor connected to the capstan via a belt.  The belt may be stretched, however this fault normally manifests itself as slow and varying tape speed.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Thanks Alan,

The deck was running well but went into storage for a while and now it only runs at a super slow speed. Both left and right reels offer very little resistance when the brake is manually disengaged (I'm assuming this is what you meant?), they spin quite freely and smoothly.

The capstan and motor spindles are very clean. The old belt had turned to tar so I had them out and cleaned them thoroughly with isoprop. A new belt was sourced specifically for this model and fits beautifully. I've eye-balled it running and there is no slippage etc from what I can tell.

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 7:47 AM, RTR001 said:

Thanks Alan,

The deck was running well but went into storage for a while and now it only runs at a super slow speed. Both left and right reels offer very little resistance when the brake is manually disengaged (I'm assuming this is what you meant?), they spin quite freely and smoothly.

The capstan and motor spindles are very clean. The old belt had turned to tar so I had them out and cleaned them thoroughly with isoprop. A new belt was sourced specifically for this model and fits beautifully. I've eye-balled it running and there is no slippage etc from what I can tell.

Okay, that points to a possible power supply or the servo control board issue.  You'd need the service manual and at least a multimeter to start troubleshooting.  No doubt it's fixable and I don't suspect it to be expensive.

If your knowledge of electronics is poor, I suggest taking it in for repair.

Cheers,

Alan R.

On 27/09/2018 at 10:39 AM, Monkeyboi said:

Okay, that points to a possible power supply or the servo control board issue.  You'd need the service manual and at least a multimeter to start troubleshooting.  No doubt it's fixable and I don't suspect it to be expensive.

If your knowledge of electronics is poor, I suggest taking it in for repair.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Thanks mate. My knowledge of electronics is average. I have a couple of multimeters etc but I'm no repair tech. 

• 1 month later...

the motor pulley for the capstan has 2 positions, one for 50 hx and one for 60 hz. from memory there is also a switch for the reel table motors. are both of these correct? ( the 50 hzposition is the slightly larger motorpulley)

it wouldnt make that much difference but who knows?