Hi all

I’m curious does anyone in these forums have Arcam with Dirac Live ? Just curious on what their thoughts are on it and what they compare it too. I like the processor and I’ve read in some forums the bass management has been fixed. I’ve never used Dirac and I’m intrigued on what all they hype is about ( not on Arcam but Dirac )

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 4:26 PM, franin said:

I’m curious does anyone in these forums have Arcam with Dirac Live ? Just curious on what their thoughts are on it and what they compare it too. I like the processor and I’ve read in some forums the bass management has been fixed. I’ve never used Dirac and I’m intrigued on what all they hype is about ( not on Arcam but Dirac )

Mate ;on the bass management issue after much speculation they have decided that dirac live filters are best inserted into the signal path before  bass management occurs [like for example datasat and emotiva do]

When you think about the consequences for re routed bass from speakers its now logical.. 

Dirac is unique in that it uses a combination of FIR and IIR filters in a very clever algorithm and can also use impulse response to help your speakers :)

https://www.dirac.com/live-home-professional-audio-info

Should mention they are working on a new beta test dirac 2.0 version presently that is even better[it combines pairs of speakers rather than individual ones in its calculations ]  and is more intuitive for the user ;)

Edited by cwt

Yes mate ;on the bass management issue after much speculation they have decided that dirac live filters are best inserted into the signal path before  bass management occurs [like for example datasat and emotiva do]
When you think about the consequences for re routed bass from speakers its now logical.. 
Dirac is unique in that it uses a combination of FIR and IIR filters in a very clever algorithm and can also use impulse response to help your speakers [emoji4]
https://www.dirac.com/live-home-professional-audio-info
Should mention they are working on a new beta test dirac 2.0 version presently that is even better[it combines pairs of speakers rather than individual ones in its calculations ]  and is more intuitive for the user [emoji6]

That's good to know. Do you think they will apply it to the Arcam products later down the track ?

7 minutes ago, franin said:

That's good to know. Do you think they will apply it to the Arcam products later down the track ?

Bet on it Frank :)  https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2989980-arcam-beta-testing-dirac-livea-2-0-a.html#post56484542  

Arcam don't change models like the Japanese do ; its a British thing :cool:

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1

Mate ;on the bass management issue after much speculation they have decided that dirac live filters are best inserted into the signal path before  bass management occurs [like for example datasat and emotiva do]

Interesting. How is this better than, say, the approach that NAD uses of DL filters on the (post bass management) signals?

@franin  As you know, I know Anthem well but recently switched over from an Anthem-MRX-710 to a NAD T58V3 with Dirac Live.  Some thoughts on the NAD T758V3 and Dirac Live in this post and subsequent posts:

There is a beta version of Dirac Live which I have yet to test, but they mentioned improved usability.  The current version is as usable as ARC; in fact some aspects are better e.g. guiding user to setting the right volume level of subs.  In ARC, a user has to be guided to use Quick Measure to do this.

I did not consider Arcam because it was even more expensive than Anthem.

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Interesting. How is this better than, say, the approach that NAD uses of DL filters on the (post bass management) signals?

Just reread what I posted and should have said after ; not before ;sorry . The bloke that picked up on Arcams practice @ avs [markus767] currently recommends the NAD 758V3 as it too has the dirac filters in the correct post BM position :) The good thing about the NAD was it was fixed a lot quicker than Arcam after they became aware of it :thumb:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2895049-nad-758-v3-2.html#post55028350

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1

I have to say the NAD M17 V2 looks very good. Its a module design so I believe they shouldn't have a problem updating there hdmi 2.1 when need be.   But then again if my memory is correct I remember Integra had module design and there was no upgrades for it later down the track.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, franin said:

I have to say the NAD M17 V2 looks very good. Its a module design so I believe they shouldn't have a problem updating there hdmi 2.1 when need be.   But then again if my memory is correct I remember Integra had module design and there was no upgrades for it later down the track.

Modular design was not a factor in my decision to go NAD.  It was value for money AVR for Atmos and Dirac Live.  I suspect that when I next decide to upgrade, it will be as cheap to get a new one as it is to upgrade?

• Like 1

Just now, franin said:

Yes mate ; been burnt by a Integra dtc 10.5 myself so very wary :winky: That said I am more confident with Emo's hdmi 2.1 upgrade path as the NAD M17 has an older architecture/chassis and the 2.1 involves a lot more than just a new pcb board . Emo has a history now of hdmi upgrades from hdmi 1.4 to 2.0 now 2.0b and its new designs will integrate 2.1 as promised by the CE . Just have to wait as with all things Emo .. The RMC1 is sooo close not to mention the RMC2 ..

Ile restrain the comments about dual differential circuitry :aww:

It really comes down to how many channels you need ; inputs etc as Snoopy said ; the 758 is the cheapest dirac option and if you need more hdmi ports theres switchers and splitters available.

Yes mate ; been burnt by a Integra dtc 10.5 myself so very wary :winky: That said I am more confident with Emo's hdmi 2.1 upgrade path as the NAD M17 has an older architecture/chassis and the 2.1 involves a lot more than just a new pcb board . Emo has a history now of hdmi upgrades from hdmi 1.4 to 2.0 now 2.0b and its new designs will integrate 2.1 as promised by the CE . Just have to wait as with all things Emo .. The RMC1 is sooo close not to mention the RMC2 ..
Ile restrain the comments about dual differential circuitry :aww:
It really comes down to how many channels you need ; inputs etc as Snoopy said ; the 758 is the cheapest dirac option and if you need more hdmi ports theres switchers and splitters available.

I just need 7.2.4 any more speakers will be a waste. Mind you I still have 2 height speakers sitting on the wall doing nothing.

I thought the NAD M17V2 was a new release, just shows how out of touch Ive been with everything.

27 minutes ago, franin said:

I just need 7.2.4 any more speakers will be a waste. Mind you I still have 2 height speakers sitting on the wall doing nothing.

In that case you get to use its bi-amp tri-amp crossover options to use those 16 channels overkill :) This XMC2 is the 1's replacement [7.2.4] that is dual differential input to output for the LCR and balanced xlr out only [ no unbalanced crap to fit in the chasis]  

xmc2_rear_cedia2018.jpg

In that case you get to use its bi-amp tri-amp crossover options to use those 16 channels overkill [emoji4] This XMC2 is the 1's replacement [7.2.4] that is dual differential input to output for the LCR and balanced xlr out only [ no unbalanced crap to fit in the chasis]  

xmc2_rear_cedia2018.jpg&key=ba20359d653b113fea572090e20889dd84586da20f411ba5938c1a8f0a344faa

Oh okay.. looks good. I've never had emotiva when is the ETA on these units?

4 hours ago, franin said:

Oh okay.. looks good. I've never had emotiva when is the ETA on these units?

The RMC1 is 1st of the rack ' 11th November this year ; but this is Emo so give a little leeway :cool:

Here's some reporting from Cedia by Sound and Vision
It includes pricing as follows:

• RMC-1 $4,999
  • XMC-2 $2,999 available January 2019
  • RMC-2 $3,799 after XMC-2 later in 1Q19

Guest vagabond
6 hours ago, cwt said:

The RMC1 is 1st of the rack ' 11th November this year ; but this is Emo so give a little leeway :cool:

The year is flexible.

22 hours ago, franin said:

Just to add Frank; I look to the problems Emo are having getting their hdmi 2.0b card to interface with the XMC1 . Its mostly fine now but the brand new Panasonic chipset in the board isn't liking the older generation Texas Instrument dsp's and adsp switching SOC  in the main board .. The hdmi board was and is designed for the next gen pre pro's  as they have different cutting edge analog devices sharc processors to interact with  ;)

That said we wont need 2.1 HDMI's 8k throughput for ages and NAD has  very good 2ch analog stages ; nice too if they lost the old composite/component analog inputs etc they might fit a few full size xlr's in rather than the small mini jobs :blush:

Edited by cwt

I sent them an email after our conversation just asking if there will be any future update they didn’t want to let me know , but they did write there is going to be future hardware /software module update in the near future.

33 minutes ago, franin said:

I sent them an email after our conversation just asking if there will be any future update they didn’t want to let me know , but they did write there is going to be future hardware /software module update in the near future.

Hmm; a good chance those modules are the vm300 etc that they mention for the US ? The audyssey is getting the boot ;) The Marantz/denons hdmi 2.1 upgrade is a year or more away I think .  Would be nice of them to keep prospective buyers in the loop for what are not cheap pieces :rolleyes:

The M17 V2 will be available this spring for $5,999.

So it’s only just been released over here. I will see how I go to be honest Anthem AVM 60 is quite good and ARC works really well in my too. But Dirac is definitely something I want to try.

Funny thing is I went into two stores to hear the Arcam and they wanted to sell them but they couldn’t be bothered turning them on. Like it was hard work for them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, franin said:

So it’s only just been released over here. I will see how I go to be honest Anthem AVM 60 is quite good and ARC works really well in my too. But Dirac is definitely something I want to try.

There is not enough difference between ARC and Dirac Live to justify switching away from the AVM60. I switched because I wanted an Atmos AVR with either ARC or Dirac Live and the NAD T758V3 was significantly cheaper than the MRX-720.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

There is not enough difference between ARC and Dirac Live to justify switching away from the AVM60. I switched because I wanted an Atmos AVR with either ARC or Dirac Live and the NAD T758V3 was significantly cheaper than the MRX-720.

Oh okay. The way some AVS members go on about Dirac they make it like the best thing to hit the home theatre market.