Cheap phono preamp review - with photos

On 10/01/2019 at 4:07 PM, PeterCam said:

I just bought one of these and have spent an afternoon playing LPs. $49 via Amazon. My DIY valve preamp is in need of a repair and this is a stop-gap while I get around to it...

$49 is good value as a stop-gap, and to keep as a future backup.

• 2 months later...

I am actually thinking of buying this next week, volume is weak on my stereo and if I turn up the db too high on the initial stereo there is a little noise and snap crackle pops etc

I am only using it for the line channel and actually using a mixer as the main output so I can mix my PC devices with quality audio especially through the headphones :)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro2-Phono-Turntable-Stereo-Audio-Line-Preamp-pre-amp-Pre-amplifier-Adapter/111691436437

This one is a surpricingly good cheap phono based on a cloned toshiba 2SC1815 JFET. Using battery seems to help it's performance rather than using cheap switch mode power supply. I've been using for more than a week now and quite pleased with it's performance. Good enough for my office listening setup. It's dead quiet when nothing playing, no hum or hiss whatsoever. 

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/68/2sc1815-1149989.pdf

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/68/2sc1815-1149989.pdf

20200131_093534.jpg

Edited by mloutfie

9 hours ago, Jarrahn said:

Any issues with it running at full volume? It looks great except for the volume pot. I would be very tempted to buy and bridge the volume as I don’t trust potentiometers....

Running at full volume, J ... basically means that the pot internals are out-of-circuit.  :)

It's running at < full volume that brings the pot's sound into the picture.

What do you use for volume control if you don't like pots?

Andy

Edited by andyr

On 02/02/2020 at 7:07 AM, Jarrahn said:

Any issues with it running at full volume? It looks great except for the volume pot. I would be very tempted to buy and bridge the volume as I don’t trust potentiometers....

The issue would be that you might have too much gain for whatever is downstream.  You could replace it by 2  fixed resistor voltage dividers, even switched for different gain.

btw.  I do not wholly subscribe to the paranoia over pots  altering the sound (other than the level).  There are many pots that, while perhaps not the quality of ALPS et al, are still fine for most audio work.  They MAY wear out faster, but while working, I doubt you'll hear any difference.

On 02/02/2020 at 5:42 PM, andyr said:

Running at full volume, J ... basically means that the pot internals are out-of-circuit.  :)

It's running at < full volume that brings the pot's sound into the picture.

What do you use for volume control if you don't like pots?

Andy

Stepped attenuator or relay circuit generally. 

On 03/02/2020 at 8:59 AM, aussievintage said:

The issue would be that you might have too much gain for whatever is downstream.  You could replace it by 2  fixed resistor voltage dividers, even switched for different gain.

btw.  I do not wholly subscribe to the paranoia over pots  altering the sound (other than the level).  There are many pots that, while perhaps not the quality of ALPS et al, are still fine for most audio work.  They MAY wear out faster, but while working, I doubt you'll hear any difference.

I don't think they alter the sound, but change the soundstage and channel balance, definitely. matched resistors do a much better job!!

Thanks, I think I might go out and get one!