Power Conditioners - What do you notice?

Hi,

This question is for those who use power conditioners in their stereo setups.

What do you notice when using them? Is the improvements night and day? Subtle?

Do you notice it more on amps? turntables? DACs?

What is a good starting point? Is it worth trying to borrow one first to see if any benefits can be found?

2 minutes ago, soundbyte said:

Beat me to it.

Read post #2.

I did a lot of testing on a high end regenerator with several pieces of equipment and those are the conclusions I reached.

In short, if the mains power in your area is decent (most areas of Sydney are excellent), then spend your money elsewhere.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Highwaystar said:

Hi,

What do you notice when using them? Is the improvements night and day? Subtle?

Do you notice it more on amps? turntables? DACs?

What is a good starting point? Is it worth trying to borrow one first to see if any benefits can be found?

I don't like spending money on hifi unless its for a good reason, nor just to have a flash gizmo, but for me regeneration worked so I spent the money, it might not for you. But if you don't try you will never know.

There are plenty of believers and more than likely an equal number of non believers ... hi Zaph ? 

No harm in trying to borrow or get a loan from a shop of a conditioner or better still a regenerator. If it doesn't make a difference for you then give it back, but if it does then start haggling a good price. I found a regenerator made a real difference in my system and when I recently quizzed Zaph about why it did with me in another thread like this one, even he said in some cases with Tube amps, which I have, they can make an improvement ... isn't that right Zaph?

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TerryO said:

I don't like spending money on hifi unless its for a good reason, nor just to have a flash gizmo, but for me regeneration worked so I spent the money, it might not for you. But if you don't try you will never know.

There are plenty of believers and more than likely an equal number of non believers ... hi Zaph ? 

Hi. I suggest you read my post again. 

I was quite clear in when and how regenerators may be helpful. 

5 hours ago, TerryO said:

No harm in trying to borrow or get a loan from a shop of a conditioner or better still a regenerator. If it doesn't make a difference for you then give it back, but if it does then start haggling a good price. I found a regenerator made a real difference in my system and when I recently quizzed Zaph about why it did with me in another thread like this one, even he said in some cases with Tube amps, which I have, they can make an improvement ... isn't that right Zaph?

cheers Terry

Correct. Valve amps, due to the fact that they may not use regulation (particularly in filament supplies) can be sensitive to mains supply variations. SS equipment frequently uses regulation in sensitive areas and is generally far less sensitive to mains supply variations. 

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago I was unsure about this, and even a bit skeptical, and decided I’d see for myself. I picked up a Giggawatt PF-1 power strip, which is their entry level model.

For me it made a huge difference, and I think it’s one of the biggest bang for buck improvements I’ve made in my system. All my gear is valve, perhaps something wasn’t happy on the wall power.

I’m still using it, and will probably one day upgrade.

• Like 2

Hi

In my system the PS 10 made a big improvement , now my system sounds as good at 5pm as it does night listening (affects of good whisky excluded) and this only with source equipment as the PS 10,can’t handle my big mono blocks but the PS 20 will.

• Like 5

I have had an isotek aquarius in my system for a few months now and it has made my system sound like it did at 2.00am but now I can enjoy that sound at any time of the day but not to say it will have as larger effect on a set up in an area which already receives reliable power.

Regenerator (eg. P10) improvement night & day. All components seem so alive sounding especially on leading notes it’s quite a change.
- an analogy is a bit like comparing a new AA battery response to a have used one.

Mains conditioner (eg. Isotek Sigmas) a noticeable improvement. Far more ‘body’ to the sound.

And that’s with a relatively stable suburban mains power to the house.

Most noticeable in conjunction with decent power cords first on preamp, dac, pwr amps, CD player transport.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am using a Cawsey power box.  Made an instant and very noticeable improvement, everything just seemed to come 'alive'. More weight, body, lower noise floor leading to more detail and layered sound stage. On both SS and Valve amps.

Pick one up 2nd hand on SNA and give it a try. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 19/09/2018 at 4:11 PM, TerryO said:

CCleaner Happy Wheels VLC

cheers Terry

Edited by seraniz

I’m power conditioned to the hilt, 3 in total. My system is extremely quiet, but I’ve never taken them out of the system in 3 years to know if it would make a difference or not. 

We recently moved into a new house and I have a constant and distinct buzzing coming through my speakers and presumably my mains and could never put my finger on what was causing it.
I tried unplugging everything in the house and it still remained. One day i decided to use the bus and the stop is just down the road from me, as i passed the first powerpole i was stopped in my tracks by the same buzzing sound. When i looked up the same sound was coming from a grey box about 600mm by 800mm which was attached to the pole about 3m off the ground.
I'd love to know if a conditioner would stop the interference i can hear...

2 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

We recently moved into a new house and I have a constant and distinct buzzing coming through my speakers and presumably my mains and could never put my finger on what was causing it.
I tried unplugging everything in the house and it still remained. One day i decided to use the bus and the stop is just down the road from me, as i passed the first powerpole i was stopped in my tracks by the same buzzing sound. When i looked up the same sound was coming from a grey box about 600mm by 800mm which was attached to the pole about 3m off the ground.

Unlikely. The grey box is a power supply for the cable TV system in your area. Most of them do it. You can thank Murdoch for not caring. A few questions:

* I note you have an ME750. Does the buzz still occur when only the ME750 is connected to your speakers?

* Is it an aluminium chassis ME750, or steel (powder coated)? 

* Does the amp make any noise (speakers disconnected)?

* Any TV/radio transmission towers in your local area?

3 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

Not good, Topshelf.  Have NFI where Mortdale is - but if it's in/near Melbourne, I could lend you a couple of things to try out, to see whether they kill that buzz.

Andy

Hi Trevor,
I really should update my profile. I moved the ME750 on last year and now have a different pre and amp combination.
I am really confident it's that grey box but how is it polluting my signal? The pre is tube based mono's solid state.
From memory there was no interference with the ME750+24.

Not good, Topshelf.  Have NFI where Mortdale is - but if it's in/near Melbourne, I could lend you a couple of things to try out, to see whether they kill that buzz.

Andy

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the offer, Mortdale is about 17k SW Sydney so probably a bit far. I've a couple of days off this weekend and may try a few things i really do have that 10pm onwards thing where everything sounds better...
I've also remembered the ducted aircon causes more background noise when running. it's an old house but looks like the wiring is 80's. Anyway not wanting to hijack this thread but i know I'd be a great candidate to try a conditioner which is why this thread really interests me.

1 hour ago, TOPSHELF said:

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the offer, Mortdale is about 17k SW Sydney so probably a bit far.

True!  But, surely, 17ks from Sydney ... is still Sydney!  :lol:

Anyway not wanting to hijack this thread but i know I'd be a great candidate to try a conditioner which is why this thread really interests me.

Not necessarily.  I see a power conditioner being most applicable if your suburb has way OTT voltages - like Murray at Altona Meadows.  (His Thor conditioner keeps the output voltage to 230v.)

IME, the buzz from your speakers could be due to various other things - solved by, for instance, an isolating transformer for all your source gear (expensive to put an isolating transformer on your power amp).

Or smaller isolating transformers plus hash filters on each item of source gear.

Andy

Edited by andyr

Hi Andy,
I suppose one day the way Sydney is growing i may live in the inner south west lol!
I might get the power checked, i know i have two circuits coming in so i may try turning one off and just leave the power plugs on and see if i can narrow it down. I am hoping for a cost effective solution.....

9 hours ago, TOPSHELF said:

Hi Trevor,
I really should update my profile. I moved the ME750 on last year and now have a different pre and amp combination.
I am really confident it's that grey box but how is it polluting my signal? The pre is tube based mono's solid state.
From memory there was no interference with the ME750+24.

The grey box is not polluting your system. 

Perhaps if you tell us what equipment you presently have, we can offer some possible solutions. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

@TOPSHELF  I had a problem with a constant buzz in the speakers that is heard at very low volume with one amp. Turn the music up and it is enough not to hear the buzz.

Always thought it was this amp as had another Class D amp which was completely quiet.

Recently tried plugging the buzzing amp into different power points on my powerboards and wall.

Straight to the wall I get a buzz I can hear from 3m away. Plug it into my Balanced transformer and its louder. Plug it into my Isotek powerboard and can not hear it unless I put my ear to the speaker.

I still go straight to the wall when using this amp as it sounds better. :)

One day I will clean up all my power cabling and try all the components into different places on the power boards etc.

I take it I have a ground loop problem with amp depending on where I plug it in.

I recently put another Class D amp in and straight to wall, I get a very faint buzz. Got to be very close to speaker to hear it.

This is my setup

P1180823.JPG

Edited by rocky500

Hi All, thanks for all the suggestions. Pre is a Tron meteor it takes 2 x 12aux7 and 1 x 6922/ EC88. Amps are Tron convergence SS monos and i also have a Tron 7 phono the buzz is similar to yours in that it kind of gets lost in the music as you turn it up.
I am going to try your suggestion of trying a different power plug in the room and and will unplug everything including the aerial!