Power Regenerators. Are they worth it? Do they contribute anything to the HI FI System?

Jake123

Considering a power regenerator. 

What are the current views on this?

Any comments would be helpful. 

Thanks 

Great thread. No problem with issue being contentious or not. Helps next level of understanding and helpful in going into any trial of mains power modifiers with ears open!

I agree with most of what Zaphod has already outlined in his dissertations, but earlier in the year decided to explore the regeneration option as I was having quite a variation in SQ through the day. Our place was at the end of a SWER line and the 1 phase transformer was on a pole near the house. Btw, I have two seperate circuits for the audio.

I managed to get a used Ps Audio P10 regenerator a few months ago at a good price and put the sources - tuner, CD, turntable and found an improvement in the clarity and definition of the replay. I use a valve phono stage.

Later I connected the valve Mono blocks. I was very pleased with the result- deeper bass and expansion of the sound stage and imaging. Had it on the carpet floor first. The impact improved considerably with isolation under the unit- used a $ 109 Auralex platform on a high end state of the art rack- an Ikea Lack table![emoji2]

Also found an improvement when I replaced the standard power cord with a “better” one (better connectors any way) that I had. This was repeatable. I can’t figure out why there is a difference, because the regenerator is supposed to construct a new AC sine wave- so should be “independent” of the incoming power.

I also powered my ESLs early on in the piece, but found the negatives outweighed the positives and put the ESLs back on the wall plugs!
Might try again in time and assess.

I still find there is a variation through the day but not as significant as previously. It appears that the incoming mains power ranges from 225v to 245v during the day. I have set the regenerator at 235v but is delivering about 231v.

By the way, I had to re-adjust / “voice” some of my room “treatments” as well - placed some $6 polyester batts on the wall behind the speakers!

My recommendation as many others have stated would be to get something on a trial basis.

My experience of using the regenerator has been positive. If it works for you then the judgement on the cost effectiveness/ music enjoyment value will also need to made!

Cheers
  • Like 2

I have a P10 and yes it has improved the sound, no question it’s all in the listening .

my system is high end system and I still derive a benefit. I used to have a noticeable sound degradation at peak power useage time during early evening , Now it sounds the same day and night . The only way you can prove it to your self is to bang a regenerator in your system (on demo) and give it a try.  I have also had good results from medium to high end power cables  , it’s personal results that count. 

• Like 3

how does one quantify if their power source is noisy or not?

i plugged my multimeter into the power strip which my audio system is connected to and noticed that the reading fluctuates consistently between 243V to 245V regardless if the system is on or not

is this normal?

those with power conditioner and power regenerator - have you guys done such a test and if yes, what do you notice?

thanks for sharing

13 hours ago, jgunner said:

First off: It shouldn't matter, because good quality equipment will be immune to small power supply problems. 

Second off: You require some pretty serious test equipment to continuously monitor and log your mains power over a period of time (24 hrs ~ 1 week). This type of equipment is well beyond the abilities of amateurs and resides pretty much in the domain of power engineers (the guys employed by power companies).

i plugged my multimeter into the power strip which my audio system is connected to and noticed that the reading fluctuates consistently between 243V to 245V regardless if the system is on or not

is this normal?

Absolutely normal. The fluctuations are trivial.

those with power conditioner and power regenerator - have you guys done such a test and if yes, what do you notice?

thanks for sharing

As I have stated before: I noted zero difference when using a power regenerator with a high end, well designed SS amp. I noted small improvements with a (allegedly - because it was REALLY expensive) high end, poorly designed valve amp. 

• Like 1

Guest rmpfyf
16 hours ago, jgunner said:

With very fast and very accurate data acquisition. There are kits power engineers use, though if you're interested there's also stuff that can be installed in your switchboard at a reasonable rate that will log this (particularly if you have solar PV at home). The equipment isn't as obtuse or rare as suggested, you just need to know what you're acquiring. Some modern smart meters, properly interfaced and configured, can do it too. 

Don't stick a multimeter into a wall for this. 

is this normal?

That's beyond normal and pretty good actually, the allowable tolerance is wider than that. You need to be looking at a few other things over a longer period of time to make absolute judgements as to whether there's a problem or not though. It's the realm of 'set, forget and check later' equipment. 

Depends where you live and what your mains issues are relative to your equipment's ability to deal with variable power quality. To be fair, mains quality across Australia is (considerably) more variable than for other developed nations. 

This

2 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I noted small improvements with a (allegedly - because it was REALLY expensive) high end, poorly designed valve amp. 

Is a one-sided statement borne of an intransigent perspective (no offence Zaph). One of the most invested audiophiles I know is long on valve amps and similarly responsible for network modernisation and power quality at one of Australia's most significant electricity distributors. He is like some that believe we have real power quality problems in some parts of Australia, and it's up to networks and regulators to make this better. 

Any device that ultimately makes noises we like to hear is sensitive to power quality. Whether the equipment/circuits/whatever you need to diminish the effect of these sensitivities are inside your amp/DAC/streamer/box/whatever or in another box/power strip/equipment in your distribution/whatever doesn't really matter. Just be aware. So long as it's there, so long as you know what does what, and so long as you're not paying for something you don't need and wouldn't otherwise want, you're fine.

On 27/09/2018 at 4:39 PM, sloper said:

Unless you really have crap power 240v you are trying to make up for a poorly designed power supply in your equipment

Thats a good way of looking at it. 

After abit of discovery, trial and error, i found the best solution to be just that.  I've built power filtration in to all my supplies :D

Some time back, a friend who shares the hobby brought over a PS Audio Dectet for me to try with my gear (its a DIY setup with remote power).

Prior to the test, I was with the "impression" that running an amplifier board with a 70db PSRR rating didnt warrant the purchase of a power conditioner.  To my surprise, the difference with the dectet in the system was evident.

I cannot currently comment on the difference between a regenerator vs conditioner in my setup, but if theres more to be gained through regeneration (and i could justify the cost of it in my system), i'd consider it.

• 7 months later...

Excellent review by the respected and long term reviewer, Roy Gregory of the Audioquest Niagara power conditioner here.

I experienced the same results in my system. Highly recommended.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/audiouest-niagra-7000-power-conditioner/?utm_source=Default+Hi-Fi%2B+List&utm_campaign=d9e2cff1cd-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_04_24_09_49_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ff6dfd0295-d9e2cff1cd-162250529

• 2 years later...

Old thread. I don't know about sound, but I have found some equipment, including supposedly very good equipment, fails if too much voltage is supplied to it. I've measured the voltage at our house at the socket, and it is generally 245-247V (which is well within tolerance for a notionally 230V supply).

I had terrible problems with a Bryston integrated amplifier. It kept blowing fuses. Someone passed on technical advice they'd been given from Bryston, which was to use a step-down transformer.

I bought a Tortech transformer designed to step-down from 240v to 220. This solved the problem. I've measured the voltage after step-down, and it's about 224V. The Bryston is rated at 230V, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is just double US 110V, which would be 220V.

I had a similar problem with the Audio Research Ref 5 pre-amp, which is supposedly a 240V unit; it simply gave off an error message that repeated attempts to repair have not addressed. 

I bought a Tortech power transformer for it, and the problem appears solved.

I would recommend the Tortech transformers (Australian made).

The voltage measurer I use is also a great and very safe toy, because it just uses a plug.  You can purchase it here; https://reductionrevolution.com.au/products/power-mate-lite-pml10a 

image.png.8c3df9d93ed12b4605b76f798d7b4591.png

• Like 4