High end equiptment in low end set ups

I can't see speaker cables or interconnects so I think it is an advertising photo shoot rather than an actual setup. There was one the other day for Dutch and Dutch speakers were the guy was sitting there holding a Michael Jackson album in front of the speakers and nothing connecting the speakers, no leads , nothing. Great look as long as you don't look to hard.

You know strangely enough that sort of speaker positioning can work out OK, depending on your room.

In my own audio room if I fire the speakers out of the corner like that I get amazing imaging with excellent depth front to back and deeper bass, though I do prefer to point the speakers more directly at the listener rather than cross them in front of the listener. One of our experienced SNA members MarkT prefers to cross his expensive ATC-100 active monitors about one meter in front of the listening position. I have heard his system and it works, the speakers tend to disappear which is something we all want to achieve.

I have also seen one reviewer in HiFi News UK magazine recommend crossing the speakers in front of the listener, so maybe don’t knock it until you hear the depicted system.

Steve.

Edited by Steve M

14 minutes ago, guru said:

I can't see speaker cables or interconnects so I think it is an advertising photo shoot rather than an actual setup.

Possibly.

4 minutes ago, Steve M said:

You know strangely enough that sort of speaker positioning can work out OK, depending on your room.

In my own audio room if I fire the speakers out of the corner like that I get amazing imaging with excellent depth front to back and deeper bass, though I do prefer to point the speakers more directly at the listener rather than cross them in front of the listener. One of our experienced SNA members MarkT prefers to cross his expensive ATC-100 active monitors about one meter in front of the listening position. I have heard his system and it works, the speakers tend to disappear which something we all want to achieve.

I have also seen one reviewer on HiFi News UK magazine recommend crossing the speakers in front of the listener, so maybe don’t knock it until you hear the depicted system.

Steve.

That is one tight sweet spot.

9 minutes ago, Steve M said:

In my own audio room if I fire the speakers out of the corner like that I get amazing imaging with excellent depth front to back and deeper bass, though I do prefer to point the speakers more directly at the listener rather than cross them in front of the listener. One of our experienced SNA members MarkT prefers to cross his expensive ATC-100 active monitors about one meter in front of the listening position. I have heard his system and it works, the speakers tend to disappear which is something we all want to achieve.

I have also seen one reviewer in HiFi News UK magazine recommend crossing the speakers in front of the listener, so maybe don’t knock it until you hear the depicted system.

Steve.

What you suggest is how a mate has his setup done, but with the angles of those speakers pictured I think It's way off ideal.

Nothing an adjustment to the angles (directions) but in the same position can't fix though, as you suggest.

Oh, and some more cable too, nice spotting, Guru.

Edited by Muon N'

6 minutes ago, crisis said:

Possibly.

That is one tight sweet spot.

Yes agree with that for the system you have shown, as my own room room and MarKT’s described above are large and has a spread across 6m x 8m, so probably works better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

What you suggest is how a mate has his setup done, but with the angles of those speakers pictured I think It's way off ideal.

Nothing an adjustment to the angles (directions) but in the same position can't fix though, as you suggest.

Oh, and some more cable too, nice spotting, Guru.

Yep, you ‘get’ what I am on about.

Steve.

21 minutes ago, Steve M said:

that sort of speaker positioning can work out OK

*nods* .... a corner is a reasonably good plan.    The pic would be quite extreme 'toe in' from what you can see of the listening position....  but crossing speakers quite far in front of the listening position is fine (often good), assuming they have a flat off-axis response.

27 minutes ago, Steve M said:

Yep, you ‘get’ what I am on about.

Steve.

The depth of the sound stage was the main advantage, or the most notable one I noticed with my mate's setup.

1 hour ago, guru said:

I can't see speaker cables or interconnects so I think it is an advertising photo shoot rather than an actual setup.

As the wood floor has no rug, I would tend to agree with you, g, that it must be a 'photo shoot' pic - rather than a pic of an audiophile's setup.

But I can see some very thin cables in 3 places (certain no 'python thickness' spkr cables that someone with that level of equipment would probably buy!):

1. in between the 2x 3-level racks.
  2. between the right-most, 3-level rack and the Mac monobloc on its right.
  3. and on the RHS of that monobloc, there seems to be a balanced cable plugging into (vertically) the amp.

Andy

6 minutes ago, andyr said:

As the wood floor has no rug, I would tend to agree with you, g, that it must be a 'photo shoot' pic - rather than a pic of an audiophile's setup.

But I can see some very thin cables in 3 places (certain no 'python thickness' spkr cables that someone with that level of equipment would probably buy!):

1. in between the 2x 3-level racks.
  2. between the right-most, 3-level rack and the Mac monobloc on its right.
  3. and on the RHS of that monobloc, there seems to be a balanced cable plugging into (vertically) the amp.

Andy

Commonly called "kettle cords", generally used to generate those pretty blue lights. Given you ocassionally see setups slightly similar in hotel rooms at hifi shows in an attempt to minimise crap sounding rooms, it is possible someone might have seen them set up like that and thought why not. I have my own speakers pushed into corners, 5 cm's off side and rear walls and 45' on an angle and that works. Possiblely something similar in October depending on the room.

6 minutes ago, guru said:

Commonly called "kettle cords", generally used to generate those pretty blue lights.

Hah - of course!  :thumb:  Well then that proves it is a photo shoot for Vogue/whatever - as, otherwise, those 'kettle cords' (to go with all that expensive Mac gear) would be replaced by 50mm diameter "audiophile" power cords.  :lol:

Andy

10 minutes ago, andyr said:

Hah - of course!  :thumb:  Well then that proves it is a photo shoot for Vogue/whatever - as, otherwise, those 'kettle cords' (to go with all that expensive Mac gear) would be replaced by 50mm diameter "audiophile" power cords.  :lol:

Andy

Either that or it's zaphods new system as "kettle cords" are de riguere.

5 minutes ago, guru said:

Either that or it's zaphods new system as "kettle cords" are de rigeur.

:lol:

Actually, I have made up a few "extra special" power cables using ZB's favourite RG213.  I currently have one on each 3-channel amp box - their central cores are very thick!  See pic:

1529159949_PowerCable.thumb.jpg.22c6df158438b58915914585ccbb8caa.jpg

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

:lol:

Actually, I have made up a few "extra special" power cables using ZB's favourite RG213.  I currently have one on each 3-channel amp box - their central cores are very thick!  See pic:

1529159949_PowerCable.thumb.jpg.22c6df158438b58915914585ccbb8caa.jpg

Andy

And?

That's something I would be reluctant to do given it looks like you have removed the braid shield and outer insulation and just relying on the insulation around the centre core which I would find not suitable for insulation just by it's material nature. I'm sure it works and has a particular sound that could be appealing but .......

Edited by guru

7 hours ago, guru said:

That's something I would be reluctant to do given it looks like you have removed the braid shield and outer insulation and just relying on the insulation around the centre core which I would find not suitable for insulation just by it's material nature. I'm sure it works and has a particular sound that could be appealing but .......

The central PE insulation is rated over 1000v.  Then I've used teflon tubing over the cores, at the ends (under the heatshrink), where they're stripped.

7 hours ago, Mendes said:

And?

And they work!  :)  (I've never bothered to do a shootout with a kettle cord.)

Andy

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, andyr said:

The central PE insulation is rated over 1000v.  Then I've used teflon tubing over the cores, at the ends (under the heatshrink), where they're stripped.

And they work!  :)  (I've never bothered to do a shootout with a kettle cord.)

Andy

Jez Andy,

all that hard work when a $2.50 AS approved kettle cord can do the job...  ?

And you have never ever done a AB comparison!   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

I think you’re all underestimating the transformative effect of a random slab of redgum in a corner.  $100k of gear shoved in the corner of a small room = pretty damn nice sound.  $100k of gear shoved in the corner of a small room + random slab of redgum = Audio nirvana.

And .....the photographer got it all in one shot!   ?