AUDIO NOTE OTO LINE SE tube amp good or there is better?

olegau

Think to buy a AUDIO NOTE OTO LINE SE tube amp for my bedroom to connect to desktop Focal 1007,  89dB speakers.  This is a single end amp.   I like it has a Balance knob, I need it.  A remote control would be handy, but it does not have.

I am fun of modern classical and jazz listening on very low level at night time.

People say this is an unique sound amp but some say it is bad amp, there is much better.

Unfortunately I do not have opportunity to audit it in Melbourne.  Need advice about a good amp for classical and jazz.  what to buy?

Those speakers are 88db and drop to a min' of 4.3ohms in the impedance plot according to stereophile.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/focal-electra-1007-be-loudspeaker-measurements

The amp s 10 watts per channel.

There's a review of the amp here https://www.dagogo.com/audio-note-oto-se-integrated-amplifier-with-phono-review/

Not the best matching speakers but as Sergio says at low levels it may still sound very nice.

Edited by Muon N'
repeated myself

25 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Where did you find one to buy?

Sorry I am confuse.  Yesturday I bought a McChanson MarzE KT88 Tube Amp. I decided to start from beginning.  When I get opportunity to listen  to Audio Note I will see what is the difference between them because They are both single end. If the difference is big I will buy  the audio note later.

Is it smart desicion?:)

2 minutes ago, olegau said:

Yesturday I bought a McChanson MarzE KT88 Tube Amp. I decided to start from beginning.  When I get opportunity to listen  to Audio Note I will see what is the difference between them because They are both single end. If the difference is big I will buy  the audio note later.

Is it smart desicion?:)

Here you have two very different amps. 10 Watts V 16 Watts................

There was another Audio Note amp in the classifieds last week.....would have been worth a look also with 18 Watts.

Hope you enjoy the amp...:thumb:

• Like 2

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, Muon N' said:

Those speakers are 88db and drop to a min' of 4.3ohms in the impedance plot according to stereophile.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/focal-electra-1007-be-loudspeaker-measurements

The amp s 10 watts per channel.

There's a review of the amp here https://www.dagogo.com/audio-note-oto-se-integrated-amplifier-with-phono-review/

Not the best matching speakers but as Sergio says at low levels it may still sound very nice.

removed as not relevant

Edited by Sir Sanders Zingmore

4 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

With amplifiers having a high source impedance, such as typical tubed designs, this will tend to tilt up the speaker's response at high frequencies

?

The oto SE has a 4 ohm tap on the output transformers so the speakers would pose no problem. Considering they are going to be used nearfield in a desktop situation, I would think late night spl levels are going to be reasonably low and the amp in question doesn't need to be turned up to generate dynamics at a low output level.

11 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

With amplifiers having a high source impedance, such as typical tubed designs, this will tend to tilt up the speaker's response at high frequencies

?

As the red devil says, please explain?

The amp has an input impedance of 100kohms I think and an output impedance of 8ohms. Though not sure on the output taps but I would expect 8ohms and maybe also 4ohms.

Edited by Muon N'

8 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

@guruand @Muon N', thanks for your comments. I see now that my comment wasn't relevant to the OP's situation.

I've removed it lest it cause confusion

No worries, I thought I might be missing something.

5 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

@guruand @Muon N', thanks for your comments. I see now that my comment wasn't relevant to the OP's situation.

I've removed it lest it cause confusion

Oleg is an electronics technician of over 40 years experience so I think he has a reasonable grip on what would be required..

1 hour ago, guru said:

The oto SE has a 4 ohm tap on the output transformers so the speakers would pose no problem. Considering they are going to be used nearfield in a desktop situation, I would think late night spl levels are going to be reasonably low and the amp in question doesn't need to be turned up to generate dynamics at a low output level.

Not your average amp, that oto :thumb:

38 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Not your average amp, that oto :thumb:

I agree. Anyone looking at an integrated with efficient speakers (subject to budget) should try and audition one. In my experience I found focal to be bright so the Oto may help tame them somewhat. Also in a bedroom situation it may have enough power. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Happy said:

For late night listening my LS50s can get louder than necessary by a 300b SET 8 wpc.

What's all this "quiet, late night listening", H?

I like to listen at the same 'loud' at 12 noon ... or 12 am (if I'm ever up that late!  :lol: ).

Andy

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, andyr said:

I like to listen at the same 'loud' at 12 noon ... or 12 am (if I'm ever up that late!  :lol: ).

Andy

It’s a special breed of listening...background noise is minimal and the mood is set...

I got horns for loud music buddy....pppff door speakers

4 hours ago, Mendes said:

There was another Audio Note amp in the classifieds last week.....would have been worth a look also with 18 Watts.

Hope you enjoy the amp...:thumb:

I know but Two big boxes is too much for my bedroom.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2018 at 8:06 PM, guru said:

Oleg is an electronics technician of over 40 years experience so I think he has a reasonable grip on what would be required..

On 17/09/2018 at 10:16 PM, andyr said:

It means the volume at 7 clock, max 8.

On 17/09/2018 at 9:49 PM, Happy said:

For late night listening my LS50s can get louder than necessary by a 300b SET 8 wpc.

I agree. I have done research and think I need a single end 7 - 10W amp.  Why heat the room and waste electricity?

Now I am looking for a good quality SET kit but there are too many on the market. Which one?