HOT TIPS AND WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE 2018 AUSTRALIAN RECORD FAIR

Posting this up on various Social media outlets today, as part of a series of interviews I'm doing with this year's Sellers. You'll find ones from Scott @ VinylRulesMusic, and from new seller Murray (ThirdDrawerDown) on Facebook and Instagram already....

IMG_7436.jpg

Q:  Jon, you're co-organiser of this year's Australian Record Fair this year, but also a record Seller.
What's your vinyl background?

Jon:  I'm an old hand at vinyl, but a 'new' Seller.
I had some crates on consignment for a SNA member in 2016, skipped 2017 entirely, and 2018 will be the first time I've been at any Fair in 2 years, selling my own stuff and some more consignment items.

Q: What are you bringing along?

Jon: Well, nothing like I've ever sold before.
I've spent the best part of 6 months building this stock up and preparing it just for this Fair.
As I don't do any other Fairs or markets, apart from selling double-ups to my very loyal online mailing list, the Australian Record Fair visitors get to see all the stuff for the first time and get first dibs. I'm bringing 7 full crates and I'm selling another 7 crates on consignment for an SNA member (a different one to the 2016 fella). So about 1000 records all up, none of which we wanna lug back home!

Q: The big question then: what exactly is in the crates?

Jon: My own stuff is heavily geared to more recent secondhand pressings, from every genre. I've got loads of Classic rock, some Metal, some Trance, a heap of Indie, a sprinkling of rap/soul, vintage and modern jazz, and some classical titles. I'm pretty heavy this year on Bowie, Pink Floyd, Miles Davis, Beatles, Pearl Jam and a host of other popular Indie/grunge artists (think The Church 1st presses/Pumpkins/Faith No More represses etc), lots of MOFI titles, Speakers Corner too, Soundtracks, Japanese OG pressings, coloured vinyl of all kinds and so on. All of these newer s/hand titles are in immaculate condition and almost all the discs are unplayed and NM in every case.

Q: How about the consignment wax?

Jon: That's an interesting lot right there!  I really didn't know what to expect when they turned up, sight unseen, two weeks ago. We've pulled some super hard-to-find Aussie classics in the $400 range, down to some Prog Rock rarities in the $100-200 range, and loads of runs of lesser artists that you just don't see much of these days. Anything we didn't think worthy of this fussy Record Fair crowd we dumped into $2 boxes, and we have about 4 crates of that. The rest are $5, $10 and $15 records that are clean, quite rarely seen, and will please a lot of people looking for something different. There's also nearly an entire crate of very clean, little-played Australian World Record Club titles (which tends to the Classical tip of course) and we have priced those down to $2 each - so there has got to be a bargain or two in that little lot for someone!

Q: And the best of the bunch for hungry buyers?

Jon: From my crates, probably the Barnes & Noble and the Friday Music, Limited Edition releases. I've been stockpiling these for 6 months from wherever I could find them, and I have all kinds from all sorts of genres. I also love the Soundtracks this year - there is only half a crate worth, but most are either coloured limited editions, sealed newies or harder to find modern presses that I've specifically tailored for this Fair. I think those are going to go quick!
I also happen to have 4 new copies of the single best sounding pressing of Meat Loaf's 'Bat Out of Hell', ever released on vinyl. No, it's not an AUS, or UK or even a US 1st press either! :)
From the consignment bunch...hmmm, I'd say the OG's that were hiding in there were the real surprise. You'll see them displayed on the wall behind our table in easy-access frames, so wander over and have a good look and feel.

Q: Anything else to note?

Jon: We're going to be kicking back in the Candyflip Record Cabana, inside the Main Record Room, for 3 days and we'd love you to join us on the couch, spin some tunes on the stereo, dig the crates at your leisure and chat with us about whatever it is that rocks your world. We'd also love to fix you a cocktail to go with it, but unfortunately that's against the law. Still, Adelle and I look forward to meeting you.  :welcome:

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Yeah is gonna be MAD! Hopefully proper manners will prevail by the hordes as if I see an arm reaching over into the bin im currently flicking through i'll lop it off  ??

You bring a knife to a gun fight?  lol

I can feel the tension already...

2 hours ago, Kaynin said:

You bring a knife to a gun fight?  lol

I can feel the tension already...

Only need a knife. Don't call me the mad butcher for nothing. Prepped for some crate digging ?

fullsizeoutput_604.jpeg

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Only need a knife. Don't call me the mad butcher for nothing. Prepped for some crate digging ?

fullsizeoutput_604.jpeg

This forum now needs a new Reaction Type called "Scared Shitless".

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only need a knife. Don't call me the mad butcher for nothing. Prepped for some crate digging [emoji23]
fullsizeoutput_604.jpeg.4eaf4ce250f3f227c307ce5bc350fe9d.jpeg
With both hands full, how do you plan to dig?

Tubular "Chopper" Bells.....

34 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

With both hands full, how do you plan to dig?

Have you seen the tongue in my avatar? Comes in handy in situations like these. So if you see a snail trail along the tops of the creates you'll know ive been there 

Na kids, just jokes....im really just a gentlemen who wouldn't hurt a fly and usually runs at the first sign of trouble ?