Sign in to follow this  
ArthurDent

CartridgeLab, a Comprehensive Phono Presentation

CartridgeLab, a Comprehensive Phono Presentation

8pm Wednesday 19th September, visitors welcome.

Willis Room, City of Whitehorse Offices
Maroondah Highway (Whitehorse Road), Nunawading
Melway Map 48 Ref G9

This month we are in for a very special and entertaining presentation. Leigh Fischer from Interdyn, who import the full range of Pro-Ject turntables and more recently Ortofon will be conducting a phono cartridge demonstration.

"CartridgeLab is an interactive demonstration tool, designed in Australia, which allows us to explore key models in the Ortofon cartridge range." A Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB Turntable is modified by fitting an Ortofon TA-110 Tonearm accompanied with a suite of eight cartridges. The headshell mounted 2M series moving magnet and Quintet series moving coil cartridges are weighted to be swappable, allowing Leigh to quickly move through the models.

We will be listening to the cartridges through a system comprising of a Pro-Ject phono stage, a Tube Box DS2 with its switchable front phono settings which allows us to explore some of the characteristics of the phono cartridges. A Rotel Pre & Power Amp combo, the RC-1592 and RB-1590 will supply plenty of power to tease out those transients as we move up the Ortofon range.

A pair of PMC Twenty 5.26 floor standing speakers will provide the sound energy to fill the Willis Room. A three way design, this flagship model from the Twenty5 series of speakers, comprises of a 6.5inch bass driver, a 2inch dome midrange and a 27mm tweeter. The Twenty5 represents the latest in a series of evolutionary stages in perfecting the company's ATL (advanced transmission line) interpretation.

"This system showcases the increased dynamic response and openness of moving coil cartridges, along with the increased resolution of more extreme stylus profiles. During the demonstration we'll explore key points of differences in cartridge design and discuss the trade-offs, benefits and - perhaps most interesting - the inevitable compromises we can encounter within the analogue world." Sounds like we're in for a very informative evening.

Nick Karayanis

Program Co-ordinator

Ken Tripp
Wise and Wonderful Webmaster
Melbourne Audio Club, Inc.

http://www.melbourneaudioclub.org.au

Edited by KenTripp

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ArthurDent
      The ATC SCM19A Active Speaker

8pm Wednesday 20th February, visitors welcome.

Willis Room, City of Whitehorse Offices
      Maroondah Highway (Whitehorse Road), Nunawading
      Melway Map 48 Ref G9

The Acoustic Transducer Company, ATC for short, is one of a handful of pro-audio companies to have crossed over successfully into the Hi Fi arena. The company was founded back in 1976 by Bill Goodman, an Australian acoustician who developed the famous 3 inch soft dome mid-range driver for professional monitor speakers. Many audiophiles would be very familiar with the domestic range of ATC speakers, with numerous reviews in many magazines.

JAG Imports will be presenting at the club the latest active speaker from the new 'Entry Series', the SCM 19A. The least expensive active floorstander in the range, this two way model stands just under a meter high and carries a 182 Watt power pack that is installed in the bottom half of the tower. The 150mm Mid/Bass driver is powered with 150 watts while the 25mm Soft Dome Tweeter receives 32 watts. The Mid/Bass employs ATC's new 'ground-breaking' Super Linear Technology, said to reduce third harmonic distortion by 10-15dB between 100Hz and 3KHz. The tweeter employs a unique dual suspension system suppressing diaphragm rocking modes.

Keep in mind that because it is an active design, a number of compromises have been eliminated from their passive twin. With the implementation of an electronic x-over in the amp module, the passive crossover network components have been removed and thus are no longer subjected to vibrations from the internal back wave of the drivers. The biamplified system is able to power the drivers without the significant power losses of a passive network. Separate active circuits can individually control magnitude and phase allowing both to be optimised, and minimising speaker cabling allows you to control the bass driver by maximising the damping factor.

The SCM19A is an important addition to ATC's extensive domestic lineup. The combination of power handling, ruggedness and lack of colouration are qualities that make ATC speakers a leading product.

Nick Karayanis , Program Co-ordinator

Ken Tripp
      Wise and Wonderful Webmaster
      Melbourne Audio Club, Inc.

http://www.melbourneaudioclub.org.au
    • By prwiseman
      Item: Pro-Ject Phono Box USB V
      Price: $150
      Item Condition: like new
      Reason for selling: no longer required
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: This unit hasn't been used as it wasn't suitable for my purposes.  

Pictures:

• By hlov
      Item:  Pro-Ject RPM 4 with Roksan Corus Blue cartridge
      Price: 450 ONO
      Item Condition: Used
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Selling my old TT in great condition, just the cover has some light scratches, it serves to its purpose of protecting the table against dust, it can't be used while playing records.

I have uploaded a couple of videos so u can have an idea of the sound quality, take in consideration that I have recorded them using a phone.

33 RPM:

45 RPM

I'm including a Roksan Corus Blue cartridge which came on the new TT I bought in here and the seller described as "looks in good condition and should have many more hours in it", I did tested and it sounds very nice. I'm also including the Pro-ject Modification kit (https://www.projectaudio.com.au/collections/accessories/products/turntable-modification-kit) which I have installed to remove noise created by the motor. 

It's a pretty decent and I believe better than the entry level ones that you can get for the same price, this model was the predecessor of the RPM 5, this is a review from What HiFi https://www.sarte-audio.com/sites/default/files/dbutiirpm4.pdf

I don't have the original box so I'll recommend pick up, The turntable will need to be adjusted and the cartridge connected as I have disconnected for clean it.
      Pictures:

• By JamesR
      Item: Pro-ject Audio Speaker Box 5 with custom stands
      Price: $270 for the pair of speakers
      Item Condition: As new
      Reason for selling: Not needed
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Bank Tranfer
      Extra Info:  This is a virtually new pair of Pro-ject Audio Speaker Box 5 (the largest of the desktop speakers) in white.  Hard to find in Asutralia, amazing little performer and unbeatable for the money.  New cost: $400, will sell for $270.  Comes with original box, protective sleeves and papers.

For those who are interested, I also have a pair of custom-made spekaer stands that sit under them and elevate them to a perfect height when used on a desk (see photos).  Additionally, these stands have been acoustically designed for added performance and include a strong wooden enclosure with the same gloss white finish as the speakers, filled with sand.  They are solid, very heavy for their size and match the speakers perfectly.  Most importantly, they provide a very noticebale performace boost.  Also, by raising the speakers to an ear-level height, the sound stage and overall presentation of the speakers is dramatically improved.  These cost me more than the actual speakers to custom build, but will sell for an additional $100 for the pair.

Pictures:

• By Julzd
      Item: Project DAC Box S USB
      Price: $160
      Item Condition: 9.9/10
      Reason for selling: Upgraded
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: In original box, would suit new buyer. Will ship at cost. Runs on optical, coaxial or USB. 
      Pictures: Generic picture below, can get pics of my unit if you want but it looks exactly the same.