Sign in to follow this  
KenTripp

CartridgeLab, a Comprehensive Phono Presentation

CartridgeLab, a Comprehensive Phono Presentation

8pm Wednesday 19th September, visitors welcome.

Willis Room, City of Whitehorse Offices
Maroondah Highway (Whitehorse Road), Nunawading
Melway Map 48 Ref G9

This month we are in for a very special and entertaining presentation. Leigh Fischer from Interdyn, who import the full range of Pro-Ject turntables and more recently Ortofon will be conducting a phono cartridge demonstration.

"CartridgeLab is an interactive demonstration tool, designed in Australia, which allows us to explore key models in the Ortofon cartridge range." A Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB Turntable is modified by fitting an Ortofon TA-110 Tonearm accompanied with a suite of eight cartridges. The headshell mounted 2M series moving magnet and Quintet series moving coil cartridges are weighted to be swappable, allowing Leigh to quickly move through the models.

We will be listening to the cartridges through a system comprising of a Pro-Ject phono stage, a Tube Box DS2 with its switchable front phono settings which allows us to explore some of the characteristics of the phono cartridges. A Rotel Pre & Power Amp combo, the RC-1592 and RB-1590 will supply plenty of power to tease out those transients as we move up the Ortofon range.

A pair of PMC Twenty 5.26 floor standing speakers will provide the sound energy to fill the Willis Room. A three way design, this flagship model from the Twenty5 series of speakers, comprises of a 6.5inch bass driver, a 2inch dome midrange and a 27mm tweeter. The Twenty5 represents the latest in a series of evolutionary stages in perfecting the company's ATL (advanced transmission line) interpretation.

"This system showcases the increased dynamic response and openness of moving coil cartridges, along with the increased resolution of more extreme stylus profiles. During the demonstration we'll explore key points of differences in cartridge design and discuss the trade-offs, benefits and - perhaps most interesting - the inevitable compromises we can encounter within the analogue world." Sounds like we're in for a very informative evening.

Nick Karayanis

Program Co-ordinator

Ken Tripp
Wise and Wonderful Webmaster
Melbourne Audio Club, Inc.

http://www.melbourneaudioclub.org.au

Edited by KenTripp

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By KenTripp
      Lucie Audio

8pm Wednesday 18th July, visitors welcome.

Melway Map 48 Ref G9

When it comes to choosing or designing a loudspeaker there are two rules to consider: Rule #1; There is no such thing as a perfect loudspeaker. Every design is a series of compromises. Rule #2; One has to accept that there will be compromises and decide on a design which reduces these compromises.

This month's presenter has developed a speaker system which further reduces the compromises associated with the conventional passive loudspeaker. Rick Bond from Lucie Audio will be demonstrating his speaker system which utilises active crossovers with room equalisation by means of his DSP pre-amplifier. "Our pre-amp is built around the capabilities and feature set of the MiniDSP 2x4HD processor board. This gives us the power to process the stereo audio stream in real time to perform room corrections and digital crossover functions. Correction technology is powered by Dirac Research AB, world leaders in this field".

The process maps out the frequency and impulse response characteristics of the speakers in the room in a 3D grid around the listening position. After completing a frequency sweep with a microphone connected to the computer, a desired frequency response curve and an optimised impulse response are measured; the data and a set of filters are generated to map the two together. This data is then uploaded to the unit and stored in one of four configuration slots. This provides great flexibility in that up to four combinations of tonal response, crossover parameters and optimal listening position can be stored and readily recalled via the unit's remote control.

"To get the best from the MiniDSP hardware, we developed an active analogue volume control board. Maintaining volume control in the analogue domain provides the best approach to the gain structure".

Rick will be demonstrating his system with two sets of book shelf speakers and a matching subwoofer. He has developed these two distinct speakers to cater for the tastes of the listener. The Lucie Model One Loudspeaker is a 6.5" Point Source design. The full range driver is sourced from Dayton Audio for its zero crossover distortion. Excelling at delivering the nuances in the midrange, this design is recommended where primarily acoustic music is appreciated in a small to medium, focused listening environment.

The Lucie Model Two Loudspeaker is a traditional two-way compact speaker with drivers from SB Acoustics and Scan-Speak. Recommended and pre-set crossover slopes from the DSP Pre-Amp are set at 6db per octave and centred at a fairly high 4kHz. First-order crossover slopes are chosen for their phase neutrality, made possible by the smooth and extended response of both drivers. This bass reflex (ported) design has a greater power handling and more driver excursion, better suited to bass-heavy music. The system extends the response well below the frequency of the cabinet, giving exceptional performance for a fairly compact enclosure.

Cabinet materials are chosen for their high density and sustainability. Narrow grain carbonised Bamboo or Baltic Birch ply are laminated, no veneers are used, precision CNC cut then hand assembled and finished. Due to the laminar sheet construction inner wall profiles are able to be uniquely contoured to minimise internal reflections and cabinet resonances.

This will be Rick Bonds first public presentation at an audio event. A relative new-comer to the HiFi scene, this young man has developed a complete active system that puts DSP technology within the reach of many audiophiles.

Nick Karayanis
      Program Co-ordinator

Ken Tripp

• By hlov
      Item:  Pro-Ject RPM 4 with Roksan Corus Blue cartridge
      Price: 450 ONO
      Item Condition: Used
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Selling my old TT in great condition, just the cover has some light scratches, it serves to its purpose of protecting the table against dust, it can't be used while playing records.

I have uploaded a couple of videos so u can have an idea of the sound quality, take in consideration that I have recorded them using a phone.

33 RPM:

45 RPM

I'm including a Roksan Corus Blue cartridge which came on the new TT I bought in here and the seller described as "looks in good condition and should have many more hours in it", I did tested and it sounds very nice. I'm also including the Pro-ject Modification kit (https://www.projectaudio.com.au/collections/accessories/products/turntable-modification-kit) which I have installed to remove noise created by the motor. 

It's a pretty decent and I believe better than the entry level ones that you can get for the same price, this model was the predecessor of the RPM 5, this is a review from What HiFi https://www.sarte-audio.com/sites/default/files/dbutiirpm4.pdf

I don't have the original box so I'll recommend pick up, The turntable will need to be adjusted and the cartridge connected as I have disconnected for clean it.
      Pictures:

• By hlov
      Item: Pro-ject RPM 4
      Price: 450 ONO
      Item Condition: Used
      Reason for selling: Upgrade
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      I have uploaded a couple of videos so you can have an idea of how it plays.

Video 33 RPM

Video 45 RPM

Selling my old TT in great condition, just the cover has some light scratches, it serves to its purpose of protecting the table against dust, it can't be used while playing records.

I'm including a Roksan Corus Blue cartridge which came on the new TT I bought in here and the seller described as "looks in good condition and should have many more hours in it", I did tested and it sounds very nice. I'm also including the Pro-ject Modification kit (https://www.projectaudio.com.au/collections/accessories/products/turntable-modification-kit) which I have installed to remove noise created by the motor. 

It's a pretty decent and I believe better than the entry level ones that you can get for the same price, this model was the predecessor of the RPM 5, this is a review from What HiFi https://www.sarte-audio.com/sites/default/files/dbutiirpm4.pdf

I don't have the original box so I'll recommend pick up, The turntable will need to be adjusted and the cartridge connected as I have disconnected for clean it.

Cheers,

H

Pictures:

• By MuBh
      Item: Pro-Ject Tube Box S - MM/MC phono preamplifier with tube output stage 
      Price: $330 (RRP$456) + postage ($30) anywhere within Australia, local pickup welcome.
      Item Condition: Excellent, As new
      Reason for selling:Received it as a gift, I already have a highend phono stage.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (sending to a friend or 3%) , Bank Transfer
      Extra Info: see below
      Pictures: see below

I received this as a Xmas gift in 2017. Its an amazing tube phono amplifier, very musical compared to other phono stages, in that price range. 

Check out the manufacturers link - 
      http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=tubeboxs&lang=en

I only played it for a few hours, so the condition is like brand new. Being a curious audiophile, I compared it to the Rega phono stage. Please have a listen to it on my YouTube link - 

https://youtu.be/_z0TJtwiTt0

• By KenTripp
      Convenors Request Night with gear by Ray Goh

8pm Wednesday 16th May, visitors welcome.

Melway Map 48 Ref G9

This month's meeting will be a music request night with the club Convenors providing the musical program. Each Convenor will present to the club a selection of music from their favourite CDs. It could be a track from one of their 'desert island discs' or a recent purchase.

To ensure that we get through as many different tracks as possible, I've requested that each piece of music be no more than 5 minutes long. This will get us through plenty of CDs before the coffee break.

Equipment on the night will be provided by Ray Goh from the Hi Fi Exchange. At the time of this write-up, Ray was still finalising the equipment selection. With so much gear to choose from, his new shop is an Aladdin's cave of classic old gear looking for a new home. Whatever gear he puts together for the night, I'm sure it will be a thoroughly satisfying musical presentation.

This would be a good opportunity for all members to discover some new music at this meeting. I'm sure your music Convenors will do their best to present a most enjoyable night.

Nick Karayanis
      Program Co-ordinator

Ken Tripp