The iPhone Xs and Xr release

https://www.9news.com.au/technology/2018/09/13/03/35/apple-unveils-new-iphone-apple-watch-series-4

This is now getting ridiculous for just a phone.   But, each to there own.   One of the models can now have a dual sim.  512GB RAM. Waterproof and nothing else,  not even a word on 5G support!   However I haven’t looked at the specs.

Edited by Addicted to music

am due for an upgrade, tend to do the S's

so went 5s, 6S, which is what I have, skipped the 7, 8 and X so pleased to see the Xs

now to decide whether worth going for Xs or Xs max

its definitely all about eXceSs I do think :D 

good point on the 5G maybe should wait for that ? ...

dual sims ? which one ? 

the piggy in the middle XR is also worth a consider

"The more interesting phone, at least in terms of offering something new, is the iPhone XR. Sitting in between the XS and XS Max in terms of size and keeping the same general design, it's less expensive than either of them thanks to its LCD screen, aluminum frame and single rear camera. Unlike its pricier siblings, it comes in six different colours: white, black, blue, yellow, coral and red.

While Apple's push for more and more expensive phones has kept it profitable in a market where people are upgrading less frequently, it was the presence of the less expensive phone that caught the attention of analysts following the briefing. If Apple can get more budget-conscious people from an older phone to an XR, it will open them up to the company's world of new and lucrative services and apps. Of course "less expensive" doesn't mean "inexpensive". The XR will start at $1229 for a 64GB model when it launches in Australia on October 26."

https://www.theage.com.au/technology/apple-unveils-three-new-iphones-including-bigger-pricier-xs-max-20180913-p503e1.html

46 minutes ago, :) al said:

good point on the 5G maybe should wait for that ? ...

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

,  not even a word on 5G support!  

Not surprising considering 5g hasn't even started being rolled out and the 5g Standard was only just finalised in June.

There's a chance that the 2019 iPhone might be 5g compatible but realistically I can't imagine the 5g network becoming large enough to worry about till 2020.

Considering my 6 Plus is now 4 years old I'm not sure whether stretching it out another year won't be pushing things a little bit too far..... :unsure: 

Edited by Martykt
  • Like 1

Guest Eggcup The Daft
1 hour ago, Martykt said:

There are other phone manufacturers other than Apple..... ??? :unsure: 

Yes. You can still even buy phones that are wired to a wall socket and don't have Facebook. How cool is THAT?

8 minutes ago, blybo said:

Which 1 has dual sim? This is a very attractive feature for me. The dual sim in the iPad Pro offers good value for me in my OS travels but I don’t want to carry my iPad everywhere

I believe they all do... from what can make out ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martykt said:

Not surprising considering 5g hasn't even started being rolled out and the 5g Standard was only just finalised in June.

There's a chance that the 2019 iPhone might be 5g compatible but realistically I can't imagine the 5g network becoming large enough to worry about till 2020.

Considering my 6 Plus is now 4 years old I'm not sure whether stretching it out another year won't be pushing things a little bit too far..... :unsure: 

going to forget about 5G for now... that might have to be purchase some 3 years from now :D

• Like 1

WOW 12MP camera..... I remember them, I used to have one of those in my phone in 2007

I have a 23MP 4K camera in my current Sony Xperia....

Dropping the ball a bit on the phone front Apple.....

But that being said I do like Apple's approach to customer service, if you break your $$$$ iPhone they just give you a new one... This keeps their customer base satisfied and happy but doesn't affect their bottom line financially as each iPhone costs less than $US100 to be manufactured by robots at Foxconn.

28 minutes ago, aasza said:

But that being said I do like Apple's approach to customer service, if you break your $$$$ iPhone they just give you a new one... This keeps their customer base satisfied and happy but doesn't affect their bottom line financially as each iPhone costs less than $US100 to be manufactured by robots at Foxconn.

Do they give you a new phone these days? I remember back in my iPhone 4 days they gave you a refurbished one.

That was what ultimately made me stop buying Apple. I took such good care of my phone and battery, but when it needed repairs they insisted on replacing it with another phone that was very obviously abused by the previous owner. The battery life was terrible.

13 minutes ago, silencer13 said:

Do they give you a new phone these days? I remember back in my iPhone 4 days they gave you a refurbished one.

my replacement was brand new when they swapped my 7S for another ...

15 minutes ago, silencer13 said:

That was what ultimately made me stop buying Apple. I took such good care of my phone and battery, but when it needed repairs they insisted on replacing it with another phone that was very obviously abused by the previous owner. The battery life was terrible.

Sounds about right.....

I've never owned an iPhone as I dislike the inconsistency in their cost to feature ratio....

If I paid $1300+ for a phone I would want it to be the 'bees knees' as far as features, performance, looks and reliability wise... Apple has not demonstrated this when it comes to phones. IMO

But I am not Anti Apple full stop as I agree their macbooks and mac desktops are great products (my early 2000's powerbook G4 still works to this day)

Edited by aasza
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, aasza said:

WOW 12MP camera..... I remember them, I used to have one of those in my phone in 2007

depending on sensor size.... less pixels can be a good thing. better light capture capability. why sony/canon and like bring out two cameras these days the low res version and the high res version. the low res version even if having about the same MP as your phone its each individual pixles will be MASSIVE vs the little phone pixels :)

1 minute ago, aasza said:

If I paid $1300 for a phone I would want it to be the 'bees knees' as far as features, performance, looks and reliability wise... Apple has not demonstrated this when it comes to phones. IMO

I use mine as a work horse. and while the first one i had ...had a battery issue the replacement has been totally fine. as have every other iPhone i have had going back to the iPhone 5s I first bought. 

theres probably more features on the phone i have now that i dont use. and likely be features on the new one i will be unlikely to use. 

its not so much about the features but usability. am sure there will be some new features will take to duck to water though :)

4 minutes ago, :) al said:

I use mine as a work horse. and while the first one i had ...had a battery issue the replacement has been totally fine. as have every other iPhone i have had going back to the iPhone 5s I first bought. 

theres probably more features on the phone i have now that i dont use. and likely be features on the new one i will be unlikely to use. 

its not so much about the features but usability. am sure there will be some new features will take to duck to water though :)

The day Apple allow me to insert an external micro SD into an iPhone and not have rely on iTunes (give me drag and drop functionality) and not store all my Cloud data and Biometrics on Chinese servers 

I would seriously consider buying one.....

Edited by aasza
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, silencer13 said:

Hmmm.... if they really do swap for a brand new one, I might consider getting an iPhone.

Wonder if there's any way to confirm this.

to be honest I was quite expecting my phone to go in for repair or something. but no was swapped on the spot.

it possibly depends on the issue. they are under no compulsion under law I suspect to do anything like this. as only requirement is to repair unless there is something that can be classified as a major failure and in which case will have to take them to ACCC