anewmission

Floorstanders or bookshelf for surrounds?

I have doing abit of testing going back and forth with bookshelf speakers and floorstanders as my surround speakers. I cant tell which i prefer.

What do you think?

I did the same back during my HT days, reckon the floorstanders work better as one doesn't so much need rear subwoofers then.

More important I think is to get timbre matching the same (i.e. speakers with the same/similar drivers and design principles) as the extra bass you get from the rear floor standers may or may not work to your benefit due to room acoustics.

Hi @anewmission

In the end it is you who will have to live with whatever you purchase, and as @Tubularbells  said more important I think is to get timbre matching the same.

JJ

Yeh, i thought about timbre matching too but that's less important than full range in the rear imo.  So go timbre matched full range.

I wasn't under the impression that a lot of LF information was sent to rear speakers? That being the case I typically chose higher quality standmounts vs floor standers ($$$ wasted on cabinetry and extra drivers that weren't needed).

Also, the flexibility of being able to buy a stand that puts the speaker at ear height as opposed to whatever you get stuck with for a floorstander).

The gold standard for surround music is 5 matching speakers. If you do a lot of multi channel music, then get surrounds which match the fronts.

There are some 4 channel music releases e.g. Chicago Quadio which will benefit from matching fronts and surrounds but there are not that many around. And sub recommended to be off.

For movies, I doubt getting floor standers will improve the experience.

Yeh its confusing. I feel like floorstanders rounds out the room more. But during movies its kind of nice have the sound of sirens or a helicopter coming from up high or just where you wouldnt expect

56 minutes ago, anewmission said:

But during movies its kind of nice have the sound of sirens or a helicopter coming from up high or just where you wouldnt expect

You do not need floor standers to achieve that.  Any decent surround and ceiling (for Atmos) speakers will do.  The key is to have a good AVR with sufficient power and good room correction software.  By the way, what are you using for an AVR?

-------------

As I mentioned earlier,  surround floor standers may be of benefit for multi channel music. But overkill for movies.  

At the moment im just using a cheap yamaha avr/dsp pre outs into some power amps. Doesnt have atmos or dtsx