TV size vs. room size?

Is there a general rule to say what the biggest tv/projector can be out in a certain sized room. Our lounge is 4m wide by 3.5m deep, closed with one door at rear. We sit right against the back wall so have about 3 m to the tv. Currently have a 42 inch Panasonic (6 years old). Looking at getting something 4K smart. What sort of size do you think should go in the size room.

That's a fairly small room, but similar to ours in that we are about 3m from the TV (our room overall is 4.5 x 5.5m but the TV sits on a unit so is about 50cm from the front wall and we sit about a meter from the back wall).

We currently have a 51" plasma that's starting to show it's age and we're considering upgrading later this year. I thought I would be happy with 55" but the more I think about it 65" seems to be the real sweet spot. Not too large as to be over-imposing or make FTA broadcasts look utterly terrible, but big enough to be a noticeable step up from the 51" and make watching movies at night a more involving experience.

Of course, if we do get a 65" I'm certain that within a month I'll be completely used to it and wished I'd gone even bigger. But that's always the case :)

OLED @ 65" being way out of our budget, we'd be looking at something like the Sony X9000F or Samsung Q8FN once the end of year sales start dropping prices sub-$2500.

On a practical note, remember that TVs in the store always appear smaller than if they were in your room, due to the open space and all the other TVs being around.

You could try cutting a piece of cardboard to size (55", 65", 75") and see what might look 'right'. Also have a look at the below site for a basic visual comparison between TV sizes...

https://tvcalculator.com/

Edited by ~Spyne~

Thanks @frankn Some good info there.

6 minutes ago, ~Spyne~ said:

That's a fairly small room, but similar to ours in that we are about 3m from the TV (our room overall is 4.5 x 5.5m but the TV sits on a unit so is about 50cm from the front wall and we sit about a meter from the back wall).

We currently have a 51" plasma that's starting to show it's age and we're considering upgrading later this year. I thought I would be happy with 55" but the more I think about it 65" seems to be the real sweet spot. Not too large as to be over-imposing or make FTA broadcasts look utterly terrible, but big enough to be a noticeable step up from the 51" and make watching movies at night a more involving experience.

Of course, if we do get a 65" I'm certain that within a month I'll be completely used to it and wished I'd gone even bigger. But that's always the case :)

OLED @ 65" being way out of our budget, we'd be looking at something like the Sony X9000F or Samsung Q8FN once the end of year sales start dropping prices sub-$2500.

Yeah I was thinking 65" as a decent step up. I have ours wall mounted so that gives a bit more room. There's no advantage in going projector in this size room is there?

Edited by blakey72

go with what feels right size wise. especially in a non dedicated room ala typical lounge room setting you want something that fits in...

we sit at 2.8m from our telly and its a 50"plasma  if it went kaput. we'd likely just replace with a 55" :)

as spyne says 65" tellys which would have been considered huge some years ago are getting more common.

Just now, blakey72 said:

There's no advantage in going projector in this size room is there?

could certainly do one, if your room is conducive to it... easily get much larger screen for your money.

you could keep the telly you have for day to day fta tv and such and drop a 100" screen in front of it for larger screen experience. projector firing off back wall :)

avantage is larger screen disappears out of view when not needed into neat cylinder up on the ceiling.