Panasonic th 75fx780a user feedback

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, TerryO said:

Please do let us know how Tweaky's custom tune up works, as I have not given up on buying a 75" FX, I just gave up on waiting an extra long time for a damaged box to arrive.

Christmas sales are just around the corner so I'm still interested in buying one, especially if the tube up works.

cheers Terry

No Worries Mate ,

Will  Let you know by 25th and will post some photos a well.

Cheers ,

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gillmaverick said:

One photo of  SUITS ex Netflix showing how good blacks are on the Pana. 

20181221_203613.jpg

Is that using my calibration settings?

If they were, the Blacks look a bit crushed, you should be able to differentiate hair and texture on the suit .

BUT...you have stated that this is a NETFLIX photo grab........Totally different than a Bluray Disc screen capture....................video compression might be the culprit.......you might need to try different settings in the MPEG/ remastering settings on the TV when using NETFLIX

30 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

Is that using my calibration settings?

If they were, the Blacks look a bit crushed, you should be able to differentiate hair and texture on the suit .

BUT...you have stated that this is a NETFLIX photo grab........Totally different than a Bluray Disc screen capture....................video compression might be the culprit.......you might need to try different settings in the MPEG/ remastering settings on the TV when using NETFLIX

Na Mate ,

I have not entered your settings yet. Only 26 hours on it. I will wait a couple more days before entering yours. This was netflix 4k screenshot taken from my phone.  Where are these settings Tweaky ?. I will try a bluray and will post a screen grab later today. Your posts regarding Panasonic tvs calibration potential was the main reason I bought this tele and I have been very happy so far. There is no color bleed , ghosting etc. Only negative I have is that the screen is very reflective due to being glass. Really appreciate your help Tweaky. 

Thanks Mate.

The MPEG settings appear in the general settings as you scroll down......Could be general compression by the Iphone as well...?

Now I'm on holiday's " Officially" and in the hope that I'm not called in because 'Those left in charge' don't screw up, I will have time to do theses calibrations.

I will be doing some pre calibration and after calibration photos this time........I intended to do so last time, but lost photo ID when I decided to DUMP Photoshop and Lightroom....no big deal.

This time it will be a immediately obvious when you see a before calibration and after calibration shot , and WHY I chose the particular Movie / Scene to emphasis the benefits of calibrations.

I'll post what movies and scenes from those movies I'll be using as test subjects that show before/after calibrations, shortly.

It will give all that are following this post, and owners of this specific EX model TV, some reference to how MY TV ends up looking , both pre and after calibration compared to theirs.

• Like 2

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:12 PM, Marknm said:

Congratulations on ur purchase gill. 

Please let us know what u think.  

Im more curious about how bad is haloing in med to max dimming. N how good is the contrast.

Tnx

Hi Mark ,

Just updating your question Mate. I see no banding or blooming on my set at Mid auto dimming setting and the blacks are very good. No too far away from Oled.

Cheers

12 hours ago, gillmaverick said:

Hi Mark ,

Just updating your question Mate. I see no banding or blooming on my set at Mid auto dimming setting and the blacks are very good. No too far away from Oled.

Cheers

Thank you for that Gill.

I had a look at it in harvey norman today, but they wont go down lower than 3.5k. So im happy to wait til feb. Hopefully it will be a lot cheaper then.

So r u going to use tweakys setting?

CES will be on from the 8th to 11th of Jan.

That's when all the manufacturers release or at least show , their new TV's.

That also usually means discounts , in earnest, start around April- May, just to get rid of current stock before the new models that hit the shops usually around June.

By the way, I posted my latest settings at the UK based AVforums, and a few that have tried them on the FX models have reported that the whites seem to have a Orange cast to them.

Since only two colours can cause that , RED and Yellow, you'd need to drop both the settings under RED-Sat in Colour management, and Y-Sat in More detailed settings under colour management .....this might/should sort the problem......that's if you have/perceive it

CES will be on from the 8th to 11th of Jan.
That's when all the manufacturers release or at least show , their new TV's.
That also usually means discounts , in earnest, start around April- May, just to get rid of current stock before the new models that hit the shops usually around June.

By the way, I posted my latest settings at the UK based AVforums, and a few that have tried them on the FX models have reported that the whites seem to have a Orange cast to them.
Since only two colours can cause that , RED and Yellow, you'd need to drop both the settings under RED-Sat in Colour management, and Y-Sat in More detailed settings under colour management .....this might/should sort the problem......that's if you have/perceive it
Thanks Tweaky ,
I have just entered your new settings and I like them better than your old ones. I had to bump the backlight as It was too dark in my living room. Now this photo is taken by my Samsung S7 and please ignore the reflections. Stunning picture.
Cheers20181230_112808.jpeg
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys ,

I have just spent a couple of hours calibrating my Pana TH-75FX780A for REC709 , Gamma BT1886 with HCFR and I1Display Pro Meter and I am stoked with the end result. I have finally calibrated Greyscale , Gamma and Color with Delta error < 1.5 for everything. Been practicing a lot and now I can post my end result. Hopefully will help owners of  Pana 75FX780. I am an Amateur but am proud of what I have achieved. TV looks stunning. 

My settings after calibration are below :-

To get the BT1886 option to show in the Gamma settings, you need to have 3 other setting set just so.

These are Adaptive Backlight set to- MIN....Ambient Sensor set to -OFF and Contrast Control set to - OFF]

Menu > Advanced setting > Gamma >  BT1886 will be at the very bottom, choose that.

My Settings are for a living room with Ambient light.I have windows all over therefore had to bump the backlight to get desired FL reading.

Backlight - 43

Contrast - 92

Brightness - 0

Colour - 50

Tint - 0

Sharpness - 0

Colour Temp - Warm 2

OK, scroll down to ADVANCED SETTINGS > White Balance

WHITE BALANCE.....you have a general WB and then under that you have More Detailed Adjustment.

This is for first lot of controls.,,,if no value given for a control leave it at zero.

R-Gain 0

G-Gain 0

B-Gain + 2

R-Cutoff +5

G-Cutoff 0

B-Cutoff +2

More Detailed Adjustment.

100 IRE R-Gain -4, B-Gain +20

90 IRE R-Gain -3, B-Gain +11

80 IRE R-Gain -3, B-Gain +4

70 IRE - All 0

60 IRE B-Gain -4

50 IRE R-Gain +2, B-Gain -6

40 IRE R-Gain +2, B-Gain +2

30 IRE All 0

20 IRE R-Gain +1

10 IRE B-Gain -17

NEXT is GAMMA...you should have already set this to BT1886, so the setting below are for More Detailed Adjustment under Gamma.

100 IRE +11

90 IRE +11

80 IRE -3

70 IRE -4

60 IRE -3

50 IRE -9

40 IRE -12

30 IRE -11

20 IRE -9

10 IRE -15

Nearly done folks ?

Colour Management

R-Hue -5

R-Sat -2

R- Lumi -2

G-Hue +7

G-Sat +17

G-Lumi +4

B-Hue -1

B-Sat +5

B-Lumi +3

.......There was no error in other colors and everything else was within limit...........I know every panel is different and these settings might not suit everyone , I am hoping that for atleast the 75FX780 Pana these would improve the picture quality. 

Cheers ,

Gill

Edited by gillmaverick
  • Like 3

I see that both your settings for the 75FX780a and my settings for the 65EX780a only seem to work with the 75" and 65" models of the EX/FX range, as these are the only sizes that use VA panels.

Anybody that might want to transfer either of our settings to other 'None' VA panels, should expect different results.

26 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

I see that both your settings for the 75FX780a and my settings for the 65EX780a only seem to work with the 75" and 65" models of the EX/FX range, as these are the only sizes that use VA panels.

Anybody that might want to transfer either of our settings to other 'None' VA panels, should expect different results.

Hi Tweaky ,

Yes both our settings work with VA panels of Pana EX65 , Pana EX-75 and Only Pana FX-75. Rest of the Panasonic range are all IPS panels So our calibrated settings would most probably not suit that entire range. Your settings improved the picture on my FX-780. I reckon panels used in your EX 65 , 75 and the new FX75 are all same. Guessing by the model number 780 might be the number designated to the panel type as the rest of the range is different numbers.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!!!

Thank you so much for the input.  I have decided to go OLED instead as i can't stand the loss of contrast and some blooming in general for LCD when viewed from an angle.  I bought Pana 65FZ950 2 weeks ago, and couldn't be happier.  I think I know what i wanted from my TV viewing coming from Pana Plasma, I cant compromise contrast and cant stand blooming.

by the way, 75fx780 was so tempting for 2990 + 20% off in ebay.  I got my OLEd with 20% off as well.

Again, Thank you so much for your help.

Edited by Marknm
  • Like 1

On 09/04/2019 at 8:11 PM, Marknm said:

Hi guys!!!

Thank you so much for the input.  I have decided to go OLED instead as i can't stand the loss of contrast and some blooming in general for LCD when viewed from an angle.  I bought Pana 65FZ950 2 weeks ago, and couldn't be happier.  I think I know what i wanted from my TV viewing coming from Pana Plasma, I cant compromise contrast and cant stand blooming.

by the way, 75fx780 was so tempting for 2990 + 20% off in ebay.  I got my OLEd with 20% off as well.

Again, Thank you so much for your help.

Great choice, I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase!

I would have gone OLED too, but I opted for the bigger size instead.

How much was the TV BTW?

On 12/04/2019 at 4:33 PM, Wags69 said:

Great choice, I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase!

I would have gone OLED too, but I opted for the bigger size instead.

How much was the TV BTW?

Hey Wags, yeah very happy.

I got mine for 2990 on ebay, 20% off included.

Im sorry i thought i replied to ur messge earlier.

Congratulations - fantastic edge lit LCD HDR with a VA panel and brilliant local dimming algorithm which matches many full array sets. I'm not surprised that Panasonic has re-run this premium model since 2016; they bombed out by switching to IPS panels in 2018 so its no surprise that the 2019 LCDs are all VA panels. I hope the features and quality of the 780fx can be reproduced in these new models.  

• 3 weeks later...