Panasonic th 75fx780a user feedback

Anyone who has experience with Panasonic th 75fx780a?

I really want to have this tv but cant find proper review on this unit.

I returned my Sony x9400e coz i cant stand the blooming and banding tho, yeah abit fuzzy with movie pics here.  Black leve,colorl and contrast were good tho.

It would have a different panel than the EX models I would think, if only because the EX models were 3D capable, where the FX models aren't as far as I can find out .

3D capability isn't something Panasonic has been advertising as a major feature, even on the EX models, so it wouldn't surprise me if the FX model has it as well, but just not mentiioned.

I doubt there would be too much difference between the EX and FX models if you put them sided by side, both will look good out of the box, but my EX ended up looking spectacular after I calibrated it......the colours don't need much altering, but the Grey Scale Tracking was way out pre calibration, once fixed it can look like a much much more expensive TV, with amazing gradients and shadow detail.

1 hour ago, Johnny_Boy said:

I would imagine it’s very similar to last years model the EX780 which was highly rated. 

Should be some info out there 

Thank you Johnny boy.  I jsust want to play it safe.  Dont want to get it without feedback or review from others, my sony x9400 was almost perfect in terms of black level(with the help of local dimming) and how much i paid for it. but since coming from pana vt30 plasma, wasnt very familiar with issies with LED tvs and how bad they are.

Ill probably wait a bit when more user and pro reviews starts to come out. 

Tnx JB

28 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

It would have a different panel than the EX models I would think, if only because the EX models were 3D capable, where the FX models aren't as far as I can find out .

3D capability isn't something Panasonic has been advertising as a major feature, even on the EX models, so it wouldn't surprise me if the FX model has it as well, but just not mentiioned.

I doubt there would be too much difference between the EX and FX models if you put them sided by side, both will look good out of the box, but my EX ended up looking spectacular after I calibrated it......the colours don't need much altering, but the Grey Scale Tracking was way out pre calibration, once fixed it can look like a much much more expensive TV, with amazing gradients and shadow detail.

Thank you Tweaky!

I have read the forum where you shared ur settings and experience about ur pana ex.  I wish i had come across to this site before i bought my sony(which i returned and still waiting for prices to go down on pana), i would have get the EX and benefit from ur settings. I tried looking for ex now but cant find any. Back then it was only whirlpool and avforums checked, and mybe some members are more of sony and sammy fans, that pana ex didnt get much praise.

Is there blooming at all? Especially from crappy source like FTA?

Tnx again Tweaky.

Well Panasonic TV's are not sold in the USA, so no surprise that you wouldn't have found any info on them at the AVS forum, unless it was from a Canadian.

I think that situation is about to change given the great reviews Panasonics OLED TV's have been getting.

3 hours ago, Tweaky said:

Well Panasonic TV's are not sold in the USA, so no surprise that you wouldn't have found any info on them at the AVS forum, unless it was from a Canadian.

I think that situation is about to change given the great reviews Panasonics OLED TV's have been getting.

Ide say Mark meant the UK avforums Tweaky ; which prompts me to mention the OLED review to at least get a viewpoint  of the new HCX processor used in the LED models too :)

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-tx-65fz952-fz950-review.14474

1 hour ago, cwt said:

Ide say Mark meant the UK avforums Tweaky ; which prompts me to mention the OLED review to at least get a viewpoint  of the new HCX processor used in the LED models too :)

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-tx-65fz952-fz950-review.14474

Thank you for the link cwt.

Yeah avforums is uk, thats what i meant.

I asked my wife if we can get 65" so i can get this instwad, coz i think 75" is a bit big anyway, but nope shes used to 75" now and im not throwing that much money for 77" oled.  Haha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tweaky said:

I meant the avforum in UK Tweaky:)

Why did Panasonic left US anyway?

So amazing how peoples preference in how they want their tv should look like.  When i had my VT30 in 2011, my dad bragged about his sony LCD n my bro with his sammy, when we watched movies in those units I would just smile and secretly tell my wife that their tv is ****?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, howze said:

Another happy 65 ex780 owner here,  used @Tweaky calibration settings and its stunning (any chance on a 4k calibration I could offer beer money?)

I haven't noticed any blooming or light bleeding, great blacks and great colors.

Thank you howze.

Im hoping Fx780a will be at least as good and no blooming.  

Do you think this is the tecjnology they are using now for their LED local dimming?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.androidauthority.com/panasonic-announces-1000000-contrast-ratio-lcd-733904/amp/

Edited by Marknm

4 hours ago, Marknm said:

Thank you howze.

Im hoping Fx780a will be at least as good and no blooming.  

Do you think this is the tecjnology they are using now for their LED local dimming?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.androidauthority.com/panasonic-announces-1000000-contrast-ratio-lcd-733904/amp/

You can watch a technical description of the new Panasonic FX range Vincent from HDTVTEST did a while back.

Basically it's a none 3D panel that is very similar to the EX models, just the max brightness has been increased from the EX 500 nits to 600 nits for the FX models........It's all moot anyway, TV manufacturers are using max brightness specs like amp manufacturers use watts specs, you need to take it with a grain of salt.......Max brightness does not a make a great TV, quite contrary, it's usually eye achingly bad for long term viewing. 

Mid range or entry level Panasonic LCD televisions generally use edge lit IPS panels which do a reasonable job only  in controlling shadow details in dark scenes.  Samsung's mid range edge lit VA panels or Sony's very competitive 900 F series (with full array local dimming) provide better contrast and local dimming.

15 hours ago, Tweaky said:

You can watch a technical description of the new Panasonic FX range Vincent from HDTVTEST did a while back.

Basically it's a none 3D panel that is very similar to the EX models, just the max brightness has been increased from the EX 500 nits to 600 nits for the FX models........It's all moot anyway, TV manufacturers are using max brightness specs like amp manufacturers use watts specs, you need to take it with a grain of salt.......Max brightness does not a make a great TV, quite contrary, it's usually eye achingly bad for long term viewing. 

thank you @Tweaky

Yeah I know, I dont get why people are so into the brightness level,  I think you only need a certain level of brightness for a TV.  But depends on where you put your Tv I guess.  I don't need a very bright TV, its mainly for Watching movies and sports I can shut my windows + curtains and lights off at night.

3 hours ago, pc9 said:

Mid range or entry level Panasonic LCD televisions generally use edge lit IPS panels which do a reasonable job only  in controlling shadow details in dark scenes.  Samsung's mid range edge lit VA panels or Sony's very competitive 900 F series (with full array local dimming) provide better contrast and local dimming.

I had Sony X9400E good colors, and black level.  But the blooming and banding were killing me, so I returned it.

I think FALD is good, if they can ensure no lights escapes when the area has to be black is good.  But this seems to be the reason why there is blooming coz they can noly shut zones, not at individual pixel level like the OLED.  If Pana is using the same technology as the above link provided, then that seems to be a lot better dimming tech as i its close to or at the individual level of pixel the shutting of lights.  The above commenters mentioned, and from other posts Ive read that there is no or close to none blooming in pana EX model.  I have read a reveiw as well about the EX that its dimming system is something other manufacturers wished they have.

55 minutes ago, Marknm said:

I have read a reveiw as well about the EX that its dimming system is something other manufacturers wished they have.

That's whats different about the EX models mark compared to other edge lit zone models  ; they use a patented honeycomb structure to isolate the zones better :) At least what I put it down to on my tweaked 65 B)

22 hours ago, cwt said:

That's whats different about the EX models mark compared to other edge lit zone models  ; they use a patented honeycomb structure to isolate the zones better :) At least what I put it down to on my tweaked 65 B)

I thought they stopped using the honeycomb tech since ex models?

Have you came across with this link?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10874/panasonic-develops-ips-panel-with-10000001-contrast-ratio-1000-nits-brightness

Interesting technology, i thought thats what they've been using with ex since its edge lit.  I couod be wtong tho.

4 hours ago, Marknm said:

I thought they stopped using the honeycomb tech since ex models?

Have you came across with this link?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10874/panasonic-develops-ips-panel-with-10000001-contrast-ratio-1000-nits-brightness

Interesting technology, i thought thats what they've been using with ex since its edge lit.  I couod be wtong tho.

Its entirely possible since theyre playing up the panel structure letting more light through and a new panel driving system[ according to the US site]

Yes have seen this link ; if it eventuates it takes years for this type of r&d to turn up and costs to come down:whistle:. And its aimed at the pro market because of cost atm . Its a pixel by pixel backlighting system not a zone one like the EX models..

The company plans to offer displays featuring the new technology for various professional applications, such as video production, medical, automotive, engineering and so on. Given the positioning, it is obvious that the price of IPS displays with enhanced contrast will be well above that of mainstream monitors.

Edited by cwt

On 11/09/2018 at 8:33 PM, cwt said:

Its entirely possible since theyre playing up the panel structure letting more light through and a new panel driving system[ according to the US site]

Yes have seen this link ; if it eventuates it takes years for this type of r&d to turn up and costs to come down:whistle:. And its aimed at the pro market because of cost atm . Its a pixel by pixel backlighting system not a zone one like the EX models..

How far off do u think ur ex from an oled re overall pic? @howzementioned no blooming, how about u @cwt ? Even dimming on? Dimmimg on made the blooming worst in sonyx9400e.

1 hour ago, Marknm said:

How far off do u think ur ex from an oled re overall pic? @howzementioned no blooming, how about u @cwt ? Even dimming on? Dimmimg on made the blooming worst in sonyx9400e.

Ime glad you said overall and not just black levels Mark as the dynamic range is very good . And once approximately calibrated with tweaky's settings I don't want for inky blacks :) Yes dimming on a low 22 no blooming , whether that's down to the separate adaptive downlight control for blacks [ which is  also adjustable] ? .. Did the 9400 have something similar ? 

Edited by cwt

12 hours ago, cwt said:

Ime glad you said overall and not just black levels Mark as the dynamic range is very good . And once approximately calibrated with tweaky's settings I don't want for inky blacks :) Yes dimming on a low 22 no blooming , whether that's down to the separate adaptive downlight control for blacks [ which is  also adjustable] ? .. Did the 9400 have something similar ? 

Sony x9400e has low med and high adjustments.   Blooming starts at low, specially if you look at it off axis.  I watched footy last night on my pana vt30, the pictyre was soo good that 9400 looked like like a very cheap tv(which wasnt btw hence i returned it coz i dont believe its worth the money). Im confused now wether to get 65fz950 or the fx.  Thats why im asking u the overall pic quality.  I had the vt30 prpfessionally calibrated, but the sony i did it myself using xrite display pro +hcfr. I manage to get a really good result with 4k, but the blooming really annoys me. Based on theory, oled should have blooming.  I wouod like the 75 byt worried about the blooming.  Tnx for ur repky @cwt

13 hours ago, howze said:

Not that I've noticed, if you find a YouTube clip that your tv struggles with I'll see of my phone can capture it ok on my end

Sorry @howze didnt quite get your message.  I dont have the x9400e in possession now btw.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/09/2018 at 7:30 PM, howze said:

Another happy 65 ex780 owner here,  used @Tweaky calibration settings and its stunning (any chance on a 4k calibration I could offer beer money?)

I haven't noticed any blooming or light bleeding, great blacks and great colors.

^^ What he said!! ^^

I've sort of said [NO I DID SAY come searching old posts ] I'd do separate calibration settings for different  HDR-10/ REC 2020 and/  BT1886 Gamma settings .

That was the plan....I got hit in the head with a ladder atop of a truck backing out of a driveway.....fractured skull was the result, and I was sort of scatty, would sort of being the polite way I was thinking, for several months after that event.....hence, it never happened.

To be honest, they are the only two settings worth worrying about, other than REC709, which I have already posted.

The HDR-10/ REC2020  calibration is going to be a slog of a job to do, if only that the ChromaPure software I use for calibration, doesn't have those test patterns built in.....To do a full calibration from scratch with the inbuilt test patterns takes around 6 to 7 hours.....having to use outboard test patterns, well add around another 3 hours I reckon....it's why I've avoided doing it........... You could also say that this amount of time to do the job correctly, is why ISF certified techs ask the prices they do to calibrate.

They aren't ripping you off, it just takes time to do, as for every setting you change, you have to go back and measure how it has effected another setting...PITA, but the only way to get the result.?

Calibrating to BT1886 Gamma should not take that long, and it's something I might tackle first.

Anyway, it's School Holidays here ATM, which means I'm not going anywhere while the obese rug rats are a loose.

Time to calibrate, then post settings.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1