FS: Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista pre-amplifier

Item: Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista pre-amplifier
Price: Price drop to $1125
Item Condition: Very Good
Reason for selling: Different direction
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, EFT
Extra Info:

For sale is my example of the classic Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista pre-amplifier. It's a terrific performer, and I'll be sad to see it go.

Much is known about the MF shift into nuvistors in the late-1990s and beyond, but for completeness...

The pre-amp has 5 line-level inputs, and a phono board (MM). Plus, it's own power supply. One of only 500 made, I brought it in from the UK, this one carries the number 243. Sadly, this one has no remote, or original packaging. It has a couple of scratches on the body of the power supply (see picture). The pre-amp unit is in very good cosmetic condition.

AQ input covers not included in the sale.

About the MF Nu-Vista pre...
What is the nuvistor..?

"(It) was/is the missing link between valves and trannies, a 'sub-miniature triode' that's all-tube, only teensy-weensy. Like the up to the first joint of your little finger.

And it is a tube, not a transistor, only one encased in metal. The 6CW4 nuvistor triode is roughly equivalent to a Lilliputian ECC88, the '88 being one of the most highly regarded pre-amp tubes in use today. Now, imagine if you could enjoy the bliss of an ECC88 without the size, the fragility, the heat - you know, all of the stuff which transistors offer while throwing away the sound."
(Home Theatre Review: https://hometheaterreview.com/musical-fidelity-nu-vista-preamp-reviewed/)

Of the sound, the same reviewer said:
"At the risk of upsetting those who think nuvistors are crap (and a couple of my valve-lovin' heroes do think that nuvistors horrible), I have to say that I've never heard a more harmonious blending of warmth detail, silent running richness, seemingly unlimited dynamic capabilities total control. I reverted to favourite torture tests like Willy DeVIlle's 'Assassin Of Love', B.B. King's take of 'Don't Get Around Much Anymore', Jeff Beck's 'Ain't Superstitious' and Big Daddy's 'With A Little Help From My Friends' to hear if there really was more on offer. And sure enough, I was able to listen the performances and explore their sonic spaces as if using a 3-D computer sim with perfect 'virtual reality'. Think of one of those museum 'tours' on CD-ROM, or some state-of-the-art computer game. Only this is a sonic world not limited by a 19in screen.

But the sound! Life-like vocals with all of those little clues: the sound of tongue touching teeth, breathiness, smooth 'S' sounds. Bass with just the right resonance, yet no overhang. Acoustic guitars with woody ambience. Brass with punch and sparkle. But most of all, a sense of effortlessness which allows music to flow, yet with enough control to keep it in check...as required. The Nu-Vista is, if you'll forgive this rather sordid analogy, both your slave and your dominatrix..."

Pictures:

20180908_092935.jpg

20180908_093018_001.jpg

20180908_093046 (1).jpg

20180908_093152.jpg

20180908_093121.jpg

20180908_092957.jpg

20180908_093248.jpg

20180908_093302.jpg

Edited by PMAAMP
Updated location
  • Like 1

Hi.

I'm possibly interested in your MF, but I have a few questions. Hopefully your answers will help to sell even if I don't buy.

Are you the original owner? If so how many 1000s of hours would you say the tubes have on them? A set of original nu vista replacement tubes are $700 from mf's AU distributor, verified today.

What would p postage be to Perth 6000?

Thanks.

B.

Hi Brendon - many thanks for the message. Apologies for the slow reply = work.

Happy to answer the questions as best I can. I'm not the original owner. I've had the MF for under a year. Unfortunately, I don't know much about its history, except that it's previous owner also wasn't the original. Therefore, I can't estimate the number of hours on the Nu-Vista tubes. All I can say is that I've put about 600 hours on it.

It sounds terrific, but I realise that doesn't answer your question.

I can get a quote for postage/courier.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Cheers
Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, unfortunately I've decided that it's the speakers that need to be upgraded first. Good luck with the sale though.
Thanks Brendon & no worries. All the best with the speaker search!

Cheers
Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...