Tell me about 300B tubes.

7 minutes ago, wheelz.cpw.inc said:

You seemed like such a sensible bloke up until now. :) 

Hey i get annoyed by the blue led for the power on/off because that clouds the beauty of mesh plates. Bling bling VU meters are a disaster in this context

• Like 2

I found with my 300B pre and 300B Monoblocks, that rolling the 300Bs had the least impact on the sound. Changing the input tubes to NOS had the most profound effect (including a reduction in microphonics) followed by the rectifiers. For this reason I settled on the Gold Lion 300Bs as I find them very reliable and a step above the Electro Harmonix. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Krispy Audio said:

I found with my 300B pre and 300B Monoblocks, that rolling the 300Bs had the least impact on the sound. Changing the input tubes to NOS had the most profound effect (including a reduction in microphonics) followed by the rectifiers. For this reason I settled on the Gold Lion 300Bs as I find them very reliable and a step above the Electro Harmonix. 

+1

10 minutes ago, Happy said:

Can’t....pls share the wisdom :D

The tubes are quite difficult to drive, and also quite varied in their specs....  Because you get "more change" with different power tubes often doesn't mean "good things"....  the "I can hear every little change I make" can sometimes mean things are generally bad.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

The tubes are quite difficult to drive, and also quite varied in their specs....  Because you get "more change" with different power tubes often doesn't mean "good things"....  the "I can hear every little change I make" can sometimes mean things are generally bad.

Maybe. But I’ve tried a few pairs and if that’s why probably tubes are just meant to be like that.

This has been incredibly helpful, so thanks for that. 

And let me follow up with another question:

When you say input tubes. I feel like that's not the rectifier (dunno why, just do), so are we talking about the 6n8p's or the 12at7's? 

And as a slight side note. Can someone shine some light on which direction 12ax7's and 12at7's are interchangeable? 

1 hour ago, wheelz.cpw.inc said:

Can someone shine some light on which direction 12ax7's and 12at7's are interchangeable?

They're not generally. Whilst each may work in a circuit designed for the other they're far from optimal in that application.

10 hours ago, wheelz.cpw.inc said:

This has been incredibly helpful, so thanks for that. 

And let me follow up with another question:

When you say input tubes. I feel like that's not the rectifier (dunno why, just do), so are we talking about the 6n8p's or the 12at7's? 

And as a slight side note. Can someone shine some light on which direction 12ax7's and 12at7's are interchangeable? 

Yes, there is this misconception about swapping certain tubes.

go and have a look at the plate characteristics of the ax and the at, that should really tell you why exchange one for the other either way does not make sense.

They will work and so will many others when swapped around but the designer of the amp set the operating point for a specific type of tube.

But of course this does not matter when you are talking guitar amps.........

Edited by Ihearmusic

So why are 300Bs so much more expensive than other output valves? Are the materials inherently more expensive or is it just an exclusivity premium?
Because too many people think they are the best haha. Like Penfolds wine are way over priced but not saying they are not good though.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stereodave said:

So why are 300Bs so much more expensive than other output valves? Are the materials inherently more expensive or is it just an exclusivity premium?

It looks to me more like the fact that the volume of 300B sold has got something to do with it. In the scheme of things there are not many amps that employ 300Bs at roughly 200 dollars plus a tube and even fewer  using 845's at somewhere around 600 bucks and more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ihearmusic said:

It looks to me more like the fact that the volume of 300B sold has got something to do with it. In the scheme of things there are not many amps that employ 300Bs at roughly 200 dollars plus a tube and even fewer  using 845's at somewhere around 600 bucks and more.

And they sound sooooo nice to....:wub:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ihearmusic said:

When I finally finish my Mono's you will have to come over and lend them your ears.

After all, the 300B's where your babies you gave up for adoption.

?

Absolutely, sounds good, it’s been too long.

Some changes here since you last visited also.....:thumb:

• Like 1

You might find this article about rolling 300b interesting. They essentially come up with two categories, the ‘classic’ romantic sounding 300b, and the ‘modern’, and list a few in each.

The only tube I’ve used from this list is the EML 300b XLS. It’s described as a modern sound, and I’d agree with that. It’s very clean, and is much better in the highs and lows than the previous tubes I used. They were a Chinese globe tube. I forget the brand, they were good tubes too, just not as good.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/300Bredux/redux.html

• Like 1