Jensway

Wireless Grado headphones - GW100

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/grado-embraces-modern-tech-with-gw100-headphones

Not going to lie, I'm pretty excited about these.

I was tempted when Koss released a wireless PortaPro, but I'm even more keen on these.

Not for public transport or travel use, but just around the house and in the office.

I've always wanted a decent quality Bluetooth open-back set of cans, hopefully this is it.

APT-X as well, which doesn't hurt.

Thoughts?

grado_gw100_side__large_full.jpg

I finally got one - it's on youtube. Well worth the wait - excellent Grado sound.

I finally configured my best-guess EQ curve for the GW-100, based as usual on reducing peaks and recesses, toward achieving a real-world natural sound. This is a better result than what I got with the SR325e, and much better than my GH1 (although the wood for the GH1 naturally varies from sample to sample). The actual settings are in the HiFi Misc./EqAppReview document.

Although I haven't been able to determine the comparative fidelity vis-a-vis the other Grados (I don't have those on hand), I was able to get a pretty good handle on the deep bass quality after boosting 35 hz by 3 db. Playing the Kellogg Auditorium 16 hz sample organ pedal track, I was surprised at the amount of fundamental (including 32.7 hz doubling I'd guess) as well as the detail of the 16 hz 'beats'.

http://dalethorn.com/Photos/Audioforge/Grado_Gw100.jpg

Tonight, 7-1/2 days after receiving the GW100, the factory battery charge finally ran out. While I did quite a bit of listening in wired mode at home (and the sound is excellent), I'd guess my Bluetooth use amounted to far more than the rated 15 hours during these 7-1/2 days. The first few days were pretty intense doing various tests, with lots of outdoor listening in areas with moderate to low noise levels. As best I remember, the low-power voice warnings started about 45 minutes before the "power off" notice occurred, as the headphone shut off -- out of power. The good news is there was no distortion or interruption (other than the voice warnings at ~5 min. intervals) to compromise the sound as the power wound down.

I came across this interesting review on the 'MajorHiFi' site, and thought it would be worth highlighting here, because of the unique design of the GW100 as an open-back wireless headphone. Here are a few excerpts and a link:

"As an open-back wireless headphone, this model has almost no competitors."

"Compared to models from Audio Technica, Sony, Sennheiser, Marshall, Bowers and Wilkins, and Bose, nothing at this price point can even compete with the GW100 in terms of sheer sound quality."

"For those seeking isolation, choose any of the above and enjoy what you can.  For the rest of ya, this Grado is everything you could want in a headphone."

http://majorhifi.com/grado-gw100-review/

I added a new video to address additional questions:

A new question about the GW100's replacement earpads came up on a large headphone forum, and I thought the answer given was for the wrong earpads, so since these earpads are easy to lose when they fall off unexpectedly, I thought it would be good to post the correct replacements here and elsewhere.

Replacing any headphone's stock earpads with a different design is likely to make a major change in the sound, and the change is more likely to be negative than otherwise.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1434308-REG/grado_w_cush_replacement_foam_ear.html/?c3api=3679%2Cbing%2C81638766845622%2C4585238367528178&msclkid=790f7bcdba9d16cccb6a200730f9f6df

Well, I tooted my horn enough - here's a guy with a 20-minute review -- 20 minutes is a stretch, but his presentation is pretty good and informative.