Sign in to follow this  
amdan

US power board

14 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

Try Gumtree! https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-server+power+board/k0

These look interesting - mega Elsafe boards at https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lansvale/other-electronics-computers/xmas-lights-power-boards-electrical-server-racks-computer-cabinet/1206376918! If you have the 15A supplies to drive 'em :)... though at the price he's asking you'd call out a sparkie, run dedicated RCD's and drop routes direct to earth with the change :P 

Yep. They're the ones I use on my bench. VERY well built and cheap as chips. Gotta be around $500.00 worth. Those 15 Amp sockets are not cheap. All hand wired internally. 

Nice catch. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

15 hours ago, HdB said:

Good info - thanks

Those Sydney Tools units, or similar, are available from Middy's, L & H, and indeed our local Bunnings - sometimes under the Arlec or  HPM name - I haven't seen any made as flat packs like the ubiquitous power strips but no doubt, they're probably available, complete with the RCD, etc, protections. 

The reasons why I suggest that particular type of board, is because it uses a standard 3 pin outlet and is internally WIRED, rather than with several bent bits of brass. Most (all?) flat boards use the bent brass approach. I do not regard any (that I've pulled apart) highly at all. The only exception has been the Elsafe types, which use a different type of construction, where bits of bent brass are not used. All (that I have examined) use hard wired connections. They are far superior to all other types that I've seen. 

32 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Yep. They're the ones I use on my bench. VERY well built and cheap as chips. Gotta be around $500.00 worth. Those 15 Amp sockets are not cheap. All hand wired internally. 

Nice catch. 

Props where due, you've been consistent on this. They're a solid product. $500 minus $39 buys a lot of sparkie time to reticulate properly :D 

Haven't pulled apart a Cabac unit though they weigh a ton... any mileage here?

26 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Props where due, you've been consistent on this. They're a solid product. $500 minus $39 buys a lot of sparkie time to reticulate properly :D 

No need. Just get the sparkie to wire a couple of 10 Amp plugs to the ends. Of course, a couple of 15 Amp outlets would be a better, though inaudible, solution. 

Haven't pulled apart a Cabac unit though they weigh a ton... any mileage here?

I haven't seen one. I'll look around. Do you have a link?

2 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

No need. Just get the sparkie to wire a couple of 10 Amp plugs to the ends. Of course, a couple of 15 Amp outlets would be a better, though inaudible, solution. 

I haven't seen one. I'll look around. Do you have a link?

I'd call the sparkie over, put in two dedicated 20A RCDs, two good-quality 20A sockets and win forever on contact area, run the earths direct to stake and end the debate. Put a Thor DRM95 on one of the rails if feeling 'interesting' about it all. But sure, for a sub $50 argument running it to a 10A plug works too - would offer that depending how a home is wired that could run afoul of AS 3108 (table 6.1), max points, particularly if on a 16A breaker and a bunch of other considerations. Again, I'm not a sparkie, all should seek independent advice. 

Cabac, https://www.cabac.com.au/products/data-and-av/server-racks-and-accessories/power-rails/power-rails/50155505, turn up on Kogan occasionally.

1 hour ago, rmpfyf said:

I'd call the sparkie over, put in two dedicated 20A RCDs, two good-quality 20A sockets and win forever on contact area, run the earths direct to stake and end the debate. Put a Thor DRM95 on one of the rails if feeling 'interesting' about it all. But sure, for a sub $50 argument running it to a 10A plug works too - would offer that depending how a home is wired that could run afoul of AS 3108 (table 6.1), max points, particularly if on a 16A breaker and a bunch of other considerations. Again, I'm not a sparkie, all should seek independent advice. 

Agreed with all the above.

Oh, I know those things. I have a PR20V for my soak test/battery charging bench. Picked it up for $20.00 at the local markets. Had to beat the guy down. I would have paid much more. Very well constructed thing. Hand wired, of course. I love the way the sockets are spaced well apart. Brilliant. How much does Kogan move them for?

12 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

How much does Kogan move them for?

May have seen them for $60 or so once upon a time (10-outlet strip).

3 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

May have seen them for $60 or so once upon a time (10-outlet strip).

That's a good price for such a quality item. 

On 12/01/2019 at 11:03 AM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

The reasons why I suggest that particular type of board, is because it uses a standard 3 pin outlet and is internally WIRED, rather than with several bent bits of brass. Most (all?) flat boards use the bent brass approach. I do not regard any (that I've pulled apart) highly at all. The only exception has been the Elsafe types, which use a different type of construction, where bits of bent brass are not used. All (that I have examined) use hard wired connections. They are far superior to all other types that I've seen. 

There is also an Australian Rack company that makes their own certified power boards. They wave solder the outlets & current reset directly to a 16A double-sided PCB

Edited by Gee Emm

49 minutes ago, Gee Emm said:

There is also an Australian Rack company that makes their own certified power boards. They wave solder the outlets & current reset directly to a 16A double-sided PCB

Link? (Interested).