Sign in to follow this  
amdan

US power board

7 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Perhaps a visitor, who had a child that stuck their finger in between the pins of the US power plug. Those things are not allowed in Australia. For good reason. They're junk. Australia builds the best, safest mains power stuff on the planet.

ZB is Donald Trump your uncle by any chance? 

1 minute ago, Decky said:

ZB is Donald Trump your uncle by any chance? 

I don't understand your meaning. I despise Trump as a liar, a charlatan and extremely ignorant. I trust that you are not attempting to cast me in the same light?

I detest charlatans. I thought that would be obvious.

On a more realistic matter, I trace my roots back to Ireland, Scotland and England. Trump's roots are in Germany. 

And, if you have anything of value to explain why any sane person would want to use a clearly unsafe, unsuitable mains system in their home, feel free to do so.

17 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Trump's roots are in Germany. 

Funny....I thought they were in Slovenia...

8 hours ago, guru said:

I could tell you why they paid the first of numerous amounts so quickly and it had nothing to do with pressure exerted as Trevor alluded too. Leased premises, no ownership, some scrappy old Toyota hi ace vehicles, etc but best you keep on suspecting what you want.

Put your money where your mouth is Guru and explain, otherwise it's your usual antagonistic waffle.

business continuity insurance pays out very quickly so you can get back in operation in a new location with in 24-48 hours

Just saying,,,,:)

Edited by sjay

On 02/09/2018 at 10:22 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I don't understand your meaning. I despise Trump as a liar, a charlatan and extremely ignorant. I trust that you are not attempting to cast me in the same light?

I detest charlatans. I thought that would be obvious.

On a more realistic matter, I trace my roots back to Ireland, Scotland and England. Trump's roots are in Germany. 

And, if you have anything of value to explain why any sane person would want to use a clearly unsafe, unsuitable mains system in their home, feel free to do so.

Saying something like: "  Australia builds the best, safest mains power stuff on the planet." reminds me a bit of Trump - that is all. Charlatan or not - making unsubstantiated statements like that is definitely  his specialty.

I do not even know what 'the best "means in that sentence TBH. 

Edited by Decky

Saying something like: "  Australia builds the best, safest mains power stuff on the planet." reminds me a bit of Trump - that is all. Charlatan or not - making unsubstantiated statements like that is definitely  his specialty.

There are standards for such things and ours are considered the best. Seems to be changing rapidly of late though with floods of poorly made and uncertified products coming in.

Just now, Decky said:

Saying something like: "  Australia builds the best, safest mains power stuff on the planet." reminds me a bit of Trump - that is all. Charlatan or not - making unsubstantiated statements like is definitely  his specialty.

American 117VAC mains equipment lacks the high grade insulation and safety standards that apply to Australian made stuff (as opposed to the Chinese stuff manufactured to Australian standards). It's not an uninformed opinion. It is a simple fact. US 117VAC mains stuff should not be used in Australia, because it is unsafe and probably illegal.  

For example: I've examined some VERY expensive, imported Australian standard mains plugs. There is no doubt that they are very well constructed, from, arguably, inappropriate materials (gold plating is daft for mains stuff). However, for about 15 Bucks from your local electrical wholesaler (NOT Bunnings!), you can buy the equally excellent HPM, or Clipsal 15 Amp mains plugs.

On 02/09/2018 at 10:28 PM, guru said:

I don't know where you get your beliefs from but keep on believing it.

I was recently flooded.   The electrical  inspector subcontracted by my insurer came to asses damaged (audio and computer) cables and a damaged freezer.    I asked him directly about this issue and we talked quite extensively about it as he seemed to have been around the block a few times....  he initially didn't quite understand until I pointed him to my power board with international power sockets, and some USA plugged cables, and he gave me the knowing "uh-huh, you're one of those people eh?" looks.

We he said, boiled down to:

• If you were a business - read your policy very carefully.
  • If you are a home owner - then your policy likely isn't detailed enough to specifically exclude this (non-compliant electrical devices)
  • If you are in the business of selling said devices - then you are liable for 'everything', and an insurance company could come after you to recover the cost of some guys house burning down if they were able to work that out (and your own policy would not cover you)

On 03/09/2018 at 6:28 AM, andyr said:

being illegal power cords in the house

It is not 'illegal' to possess or use non-compliant electrical devices (only for a business to sell them) ... however as an inspector he said would report non-Australian certified plugs if they were found at a claim site, with the inference being that the insurer should find a way to avoid paying via any 'if you do dumb stuff' type clauses.

On 03/09/2018 at 9:13 AM, guru said:

I could tell you why they paid the first of numerous amounts so quickly

... but will you?   It would be genuinely interesting.    If the answer is no... then?   (would you behave like that in real life?)

1 hour ago, Decky said:

If you have been involved in certifying 240V product 'safe' in Australia, you would know it is no small feat.

It is also time consuming and expensive.

Something a LOT of importers choose to bypass. Illegally I might add.

I wouldn't use a USA plug, if my life depended on it. Coz maybe it does.

Edited by Gee Emm

27 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

It is not 'illegal' to possess or use non-compliant electrical devices (only for a business to sell them) ... however as an inspector he said would report non-Australian certified plugs if they were found at a claim site, with the inference being that the insurer should find a way to avoid paying via any 'if you do dumb stuff' type clauses.

So did the inspector report that you were using non-Australian power components?

Guest guru
44 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

I was recently flooded.   The electrical  inspector subcontracted by my insurer came to asses damaged (audio and computer) cables and a damaged freezer.    I asked him directly about this issue and we talked quite extensively about it as he seemed to have been around the block a few times....  he initially didn't quite understand until I pointed him to my power board with international power sockets, and some USA plugged cables, and he gave me the knowing "uh-huh, you're one of those people eh?" looks.

We he said, boiled down to:

• If you were a business - read your policy very carefully.
  • If you are a home owner - then your policy likely isn't detailed enough to specifically exclude this (non-compliant electrical devices)
  • If you are in the business of selling said devices - then you are liable for 'everything', and an insurance company could come after you to recover the cost of some guys house burning down if they were able to work that out (and your own policy would not cover you)

... but will you?   It would be genuinely interesting.    If the answer is no... then?   (would you behave like that in real life?)

the reason the claim the payment was made so quickly by the insurance company was in order to start the cleaning process of millions of dollars worth of equipment, assumption of ownership had to be processed and given the caustic action of water and smoke pollutants combining in all of that equipment, the equipment collection, by the company tasked with cleaning all of it, started hours after the fire. the insurance could action the payout and minimise the damage to equipment it was eventually going to be responsible for or they could sitting on their arse and write the whole lot off. as it turned out, the reclaimed about 90% of the stock and resold it, thus dramatically reducing the overall claim. once the fire investigators saw the cctv footage of the fire starting by a tv in standby and eliminated arson, there was nothing left to discuss. there was no discussion by any parties as to avoiding payout by laying blame on cables or connectors. 

don't question my behaviour.

17 hours ago, frankn said:

So did the inspector report that you were using non-Australian power components?

Heh.  No.  It was not relevant to the cause of the damage (flood).

While my listening room equipment racks and a significant number of computer server racks was standing in 30cm water .... all of the electronic devices were above the water line (except the freezer in my garage) .... so none of them needed to be claimed.

There were 2x power cables running across the floor (under water) to the rack of servers carrying the best part of 10 amps each....  the servers were chuffing away as usual when I found (and was standing in) the flood.    Was an eyebrow raising moment.

I may have briefly considered (were all human) pushing a few amps or speakers into the water .... but I didn't go through with it - as the damage to my house was quite extensive, and I didn't want to risk "claim denied"  (and also I'm a nice guy).

Edited by davewantsmoore

20 minutes ago, guru said:

payment was made so quickly....

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, guru said:

don't question my behaviour.

It seemed reasonable considering the intentionally unhelpful comment.

At least someone is bringing some helpful facts to a largely religious and dogmatic discussion.  Thumbs up Dave!

35 minutes ago, Decky said:

At least someone is bringing some helpful facts to a largely religious and dogmatic discussion.  Thumbs up Dave!

Wouldn’t take it as gospel.  Just because of @guru  and @davewantsmoore  case have been successful doesn’t mean that everyone else will receive the same treatment.  We are all different here with different insurance companies and not all policies are the same.  What might have applied here may not apply to others.   

Whats important is that if you are using US style plugs and you are using them for either 120v or stupid enough to use 230V with them, bring it up to your insurance company and see if they will cover it.   To assume that just becuase 2 cases have successfully paid out and it will apply to everyone else is irresponsible.