A small upgrade in speakers: the Martin Logan CLX, a true work of art!

Just dropped off the car for a service at Yarra Honda Hoddle St... 

Walked up Smith St to have some brekkie. Ended up in an awesome cafe, bloody great "Smith St stack" - eggs, bacon, shrooms, tomatoes, hash browns, toast, sausages the lot! In the background there's jazz tunes playing through wall mounted speakers. Although not very high-End I may point, I would like to say I'm enjoying the music! 

That's what it's all about, the music! 

Regardless of price, system, design, make and so on... If the music is right, it can totally engaging in whatever form you choose. 

I walked into this cafe around 9:45, now it's 11:30am and I'm still here. 

It's Chris Botti playing his marvellous trumpet, what great music. 

I think we all get too far carried away with fancy stuff and end up listening to our systems (guilty party including me!) without actually listening to the music. This is probably the simplest form of enjoyment and just loving it! 

It also reminds us of how lucky and fortunate we are having our systems, and helps us to better appreciate what we've got! So stop complaining and just enjoy what you've got! 

Cheers to the music!

RJ

Edited by Big Dog RJ
Hoddle St, not huddle St... Stupid smart phone
  • Like 1

G'day Maties,

Have a small question that's been bugging me, thought I'd get some feedback from the experts.

Ordered a pair of Mullard M8080 tube's, miniature triodes used for the input gain stage in the CJ monoblocks. Arrived on Mon and have been sounding superb! Very quiet, with a high level of musicality just the way CJ intended to be.

This time round, I thought I'd go a slightly different route so instead of ordering from CJ directly, I thought I'd give another supplier a shot. This is probably the only tube company that actually carries this particular tube from Mullard (m8080) also knows as the 6C4 premium. This company is the Tube Store, based in the US. 

I tried many others, including Upscale Audio and so on, none of them offered the Mullards, other than of course CJ! 

Anyway, my only worry is:

The serial numbers and tube type are clearly marked on the tube itself but not the Mullard brand / logo...? 

The little white boxes they come packed in, in fact have Mullard printed on it but no where in the tube itself... 

Whereas, the ones I order through CJ directly, have everything clearly marked, including "made in Great Britain". 

Does this mean I received a Chinese knock off? Or some Mullard fakes? Nothing against Chinese, I think they make some wonderful gear, it's just that I thought I was paying for a premium tube, which is supposed to be made in the UK but it doesn't state this anywhere. 

Am I being too pedantic and should just sit back and enjoy the music, and stop worrying about it... I don't know. 

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated. Best, RJ

Edited by Big Dog RJ

I think you're fine. Thetubestore is not a rip off merchant. They have a reputation and I doubt they'd ever sell knock offs. I've been buying tubes from there for ages. Their matched tubes are nicely matched too, based on my measurements of them.

That's an affirmative Con! 

Thanks for your message. 

In fact I received a reply from TubeStore this evening confirming something I didn't know. According to the chappy, stated that not all genuine tubes would have the brand/logo on them. It is the internal structure, grids, construction etc.,  that confirm the tube. The two must be identical when matching, plus in specs... That's when everything falls into place nicely. 

In fact it's very easy to copy brands & logos, hence by just looking at the tubes there's no way of telling the difference.

So now I've finally placed both the Mullards in and they sound superb! 

I tried only one at a time just to be safe. All is perfectly working. 

I'm not sure if there's any significant differences between the tubes ordered through CJ or these guys, everything just sounds right. Extremely quiet no background noises, hiss, farts, etc. whatsoever. 

Looks like I've found a tube supplier! 

Cheers, and trust you're enjoying your music through the wonderful soul of tubes. 

RJ

• Like 1

For what it is worth I to have purchased some excellent matching NOS tubes from the Tube Store, 

I have one question if you don’t mind RJ, how do you find the CLX’s compared to the 15a’s?

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO

G'day Terry,

Thanks for confirming, yes I do now understand more about NOS tubes, and the very reason why Logos & brands may not be clearly marked as intended...

Re. To the CLX's & Ren15A, this was probably one of my hardest decisions in terms of finalising speakers. After nearly three different sets of top three speakers to choose from, my final third list of three were actually the Ren15A, Avantgarde Duo XD & the CLX's. 

Price range were almost similar, with minor differences in the custom finish you choose.

Since I've had immense pleasure in listening to recorded music throughout the decades mostly with full range panels, such as Apogee Divas, Maggies (from the MGIIIa to the MG20.1), Quads (EDL63 - 2905), ML's (CLS IIz), and various iterations of Infinity's back in the day, my preference is with full range panels. Not only does the passion start with panels but also the fact that my choice in amplification has always been with tubes as the main amplifiers, having mixed and matched between ss & tubes with preamplifiers.

I know what dynamic drivers are capable of doing in terms of LF thump and slam but that's not what I'm after in terms of recorded music. I prefer the definition, following the bass lines, experiencing the speed and agility of LFs, and most of all the musicality of that whole performance. Inbetween those panels as my personal reference systems, there were many other fantastic dynamic types that I sold off to well respected customers. Systems such as Genesis, Paradigm, Energy, Sonus Faber and Infinity were some that I really enjoyed and will always be memorable.

At the end of the day, after going full circle, I eventually find myself with full range stats. It's just a personal preference.

The Ren15A's are very fine stat hybrids, and not just ordinary hybrids... These are a true Masterpiece series manufactured by a highly acclaimed speaker manufacturer, Martin Logan. They are not for the faint hearted and wow can they do serious bass! At the same time, the Ren15A can also deliver that sheer brilliance in transparency and realism with a sense of effortlessness. The LF integration along with DSP and other cleaver digital software, have made the LF transition more seamless compared to the past hybrids. Also with the introduction of ARC (Anthem Room Correction) software, further improvements can be done to fine tune the room to speaker interaction, which is very critical in order to achieve  a full coherent balance.

When I first auditioned the Statements, which I still do once a year in Feb, I'm still amazed at how far ahead these mammoth full range stats are, of course utilising bass towers. Then I listened to the Neoliths, and figured out ML have finally found a solution to the mighty Statements in a much smaller package that can actually fit through a standard door. However, the Neoliths are no small affair! They're huge! And equally require a very large room to freely open up and allow it's magic.

Then there's the new Masterpiece series, which are all superb in every way designed and meet many user requirements to suit various budgets. Out of this line up there's the Ren15A, and boy does it remind me so much of the Statements. That dynamic power, which happens in an instant with no strain whatsoever, and the level of realism it delivers, along with the added weight and heft, is remarkable! Hats off to ML able to capture all the virtues of the Statements and arrive at a far more meaningful solution.

Therefore, if I was a person who extensively listened to full orchestra's, big ensembles, big band stuff and liked it loud and proud, of course with the fine level of detail from stats, the Ren15A or the Neolith would have been my preference.

Since I can't have it all, and most of my music tastes are in the category of small Jazz ensembles, vocals, strings, piano and double bass performances, I have found that the CLX's deliver the "Truth in Sound", just as their logo implies.

If I was spoilt rotten and had the means of owning two separate speaker systems, that second one would be the Ren15A's without a doubt!

I'm very curious to learn more about your system and assuming that you currently have Ren15A's?

I'm sure you'll be extremely pleased with the level of performance that deliver and enjoy every moment of fine recordings on these SOTA hybrid systems from ML.

To summerise; I would say both are equally superb in every regard of high quality stat design. It's a matter of personal taste of one over the other. One would argue that if there's a chance of owning both, then might as well settle for the Neolith. If that's the case, then I would have already had the Statements!

Once in a while it's certainly nice to experience this sonic marvel in audio engineering and then again when we arrive home, to fully appreciate what we have!

Cheers Terry, keep those fine tunes playing! Best, RJ

• Like 1

On 29/12/2019 at 12:50 AM, Big Dog RJ said:

I'm not sure if there's any significant differences between the tubes ordered through CJ or these guys, everything just sounds right. Extremely quiet no background noises, hiss, farts, etc. whatsoever. 

Looks like I've found a tube supplier!

RJ, I should also say that I've had only one bad tube in all the time I've been buying from thetubestore - it died within a week which obviously can't be predicted since it was fine when they tested it, and I emailed them and they simply sent me a replacement and even apologised, no questions asked.

• 2 weeks later...

Just taking a break from all the past and current events... Loss of properties, loss of lives, loss of everything... We must remain humble and always be grateful for what we have and learn from these events, being able to lend a hand in any way possible.

Now I'm just sitting on the deck, doors opened, listening to the legendary Eva Cassidy, what beautiful music, sipping a Kirin!

Just wanted to share few thoughts: 

every person who's been here and has listened lately with the relocation, plus a few tweaks in the sense of built-in acoustic panelling, apart from statements made, such as simply best ever heard, very satisfying, SOTA, unbelievable, so lifelike and so on... One term they've all clearly stated is "the total quietness!"

Yes, agreed and that's thanks to the dedicated AC lines. Directly wired with 10 AWG to the mains board on separate switches for both monoblocks plus system.

Then to add to this quietness is the use of the Nordost wonders! These are the Qbase 8 power board and the QX4 QRT system.  When partnered together it forms a solid foundation for proper grounding, which is very critical in monoblock config. This is a "must have component" in any high quality system, and without these the difference is quite apparent. 

For those of you who are seriously considering power conditioners and so forth, before any of these things are plugged in, please ensure a dedicated AC mains line has been installed to your system first! I cannot stress this enough but when you do this, the outcome is remarkable!

Running multiple appliances also puts heavy usage in your home grid, washing machine, dryer, kettle, microwave oven, fridge, and air-con. On top of that firing up the system and trying to listen to quality music, forget it! Some thing's bound to trip, and there goes a circuit breaker! 

However, on a dedicated line with a separate switch wired directly to the AC mains board, this does not happen. It's a very simple and highly cost effective solution that many don't attend to.

Anyway, all the best to all for the New Year, and trust your 2020 has kicked off well.

Cheers maties, RJ 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to another good chap whom I had the pleasure of meeting, briefly on a sunny arvo, Mr T- Haztone. Arrived all the way from Mackay, we spent a good few hours at my place comparing a few notes... Had purchased an excellent recording of Dire Straits- Brother's in Arms, albumn on LP. Pressed on a MoFi label bought from a store located in Abotsford, called Dutch Records / Dutch Vinyl.

Never heard of them before and since my regular chap on Nepean Hwy Audiophile Reference Recordings was closed that day, I thought I'd check this place out. Oh my what a great record store! Not to mention the vintage Infinity's near the entrance blaring out whatever was being played on some serious analog rig. Powered through a big McIntosh 300w SS amp, definitely some quality sound playing in the background... Also eases the LP selection process a bit I think.

Anyway, these chaps have plenty of stock, from used to brand new and a few versions of selected items offered at different price points. Ended up going there twice! Walking out with 9 LP's, and they're superb quality!  From Santana to Norah Jones, I played and listened to all 9 and they were very good recordings. One of the best by far is the Best of Sade LP that has some fabulous tunes on a two LP set. I have the exact same CD and although quite good, it's no where near the transparent wide bandwidth quality of the LP. I was totally engaged in the super immersive sound of Sade and her unique voice, stands out by a far margin. Her musicians who are very talented start opening up on a few tracks like Sweetest Taboo and Smooth Operator, it's just a marvellous experience!

So now I've found another great quality record store, located near the corner of Johnston St and Hoddle St, it's not too far away for a drive. They have a very good selection of LP's and a listening station as well, just in case you're not sure of the music...

So cheers to Dutch Records! I highly recommend them, where you could spend time and browse through the vast selection of LP's. Worth a visit if you're into vinyl. 

Cheers and enjoy those tunes! 

RJ

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

G'day mates,

So after careful consideration and planning, plus bloody hard work (12-14hr shifts 6 days in a row...) and a few savings, I finally upgraded to the version 2 with those special spade connectors. I found this particular application to be the most secure between amplifer to speakers, way more secure than using Z-plugs or banana plugs.

I was a bit hesitant in terms of performance, especially reaching my benchmark of at least 40% minimum.
So we have it:
1. The top frequency extension is superb! It travels beyond the previous cables and reaches a different dimension, as if something was sent from the clouds... = 10% improvement.

2. The mid-band is superb! Every aspect in the midrange is even greater, with further extension in midrange quality, quantity, and a feeling of superb tactile information on quality recordings. The finer and subtle details on soft passages is very well focused with razor sharp accuracy. Reaching out and touching the performers is even more spooky! I didn't think this particular area would be so impressive but it is! = 15% improvement.

3. The low frequency extension is superb! The bass reaches even lower, goes well beyond the previous cables, to such an affect that you can hear, feel and even touch those fine bass lines. You can follow the bass players every single move, whether it's accurate or not, and on mediocre recordings it shows! On high quality recordings, the speed and pick up energy in the bass is extraordinary! = 15% in improvement.

So that totals = 40%, according to my benchmark in performance. Having finalised on these points, I also noticed other aspects, such as soundstage depth and scale to be quite similar to version 1. However, the most significant factor was the playback level. It doesn't have to be turned up at all! Infact, going down a few notches was even better! I don't quite know how this is or why... perhaps I cleaned out that extra bit of wax build up in my ears but that I do quite often whenever I'm stuck in traffic... so I'm still not sure as to how changing this cable from version 1 to version 2 made such a significant difference in terms of playback levels. In any case, this is definitely a good thing because during my late night/ early morning sessions I don't wake up the household. Now it's nearly 5:30am I've just shut down the system, need to get to snooze before another long 6 days of hard labour... good night all.

Cheers, and do enjoy those fine tunes!
Woofty woof! RJ

20200620_035235.jpg

20200620_035333.jpg

20200620_035400.jpg

On 20/06/2020 at 5:51 AM, Big Dog RJ said:

G'day mates,

So after careful consideration and planning, plus bloody hard work (12-14hr shifts 6 days in a row...) and a few savings, I finally upgraded to the version 2 with those special spade connectors. I found this particular application to be the most secure between amplifer to speakers, way more secure than using Z-plugs or banana plugs.

I was a bit hesitant in terms of performance, especially reaching my benchmark of at least 40% minimum.
So we have it:
1. The top frequency extension is superb! It travels beyond the previous cables and reaches a different dimension, as if something was sent from the clouds... = 10% improvement.

2. The mid-band is superb! Every aspect in the midrange is even greater, with further extension in midrange quality, quantity, and a feeling of superb tactile information on quality recordings. The finer and subtle details on soft passages is very well focused with razor sharp accuracy. Reaching out and touching the performers is even more spooky! I didn't think this particular area would be so impressive but it is! = 15% improvement.

3. The low frequency extension is superb! The bass reaches even lower, goes well beyond the previous cables, to such an affect that you can hear, feel and even touch those fine bass lines. You can follow the bass players every single move, whether it's accurate or not, and on mediocre recordings it shows! On high quality recordings, the speed and pick up energy in the bass is extraordinary! = 15% in improvement.

So that totals = 40%, according to my benchmark in performance. Having finalised on these points, I also noticed other aspects, such as soundstage depth and scale to be quite similar to version 1. However, the most significant factor was the playback level. It doesn't have to be turned up at all! Infact, going down a few notches was even better! I don't quite know how this is or why... perhaps I cleaned out that extra bit of wax build up in my ears but that I do quite often whenever I'm stuck in traffic... so I'm still not sure as to how changing this cable from version 1 to version 2 made such a significant difference in terms of playback levels. In any case, this is definitely a good thing because during my late night/ early morning sessions I don't wake up the household. Now it's nearly 5:30am I've just shut down the system, need to get to snooze before another long 6 days of hard labour... good night all.

Cheers, and do enjoy those fine tunes!
Woofty woof! RJ

20200620_035235.jpg

20200620_035333.jpg

20200620_035400.jpg

Very nice indeed your a lucky chap enjoy.

• 3 months later...

G'day maties and fellow enthusiasts,

Trust everyone's keeping safe and sound.

Perhaps just worth a mention, I'm upgrading the digital playback system from my McIntosh sacd player to the Esoteric digital gear. I've placed the Mac player under classifieds but for some reason it has not been posted.  Seems like whatever I post from now on requires moderator approval... huh, not sure what I did wrong or cause any dramas for the mods to police everything I post.

Anyway, here are some pics in mint condition. If anyone's interested, will be more than happy to discuss. 

Cheers, and be safe all.

Best, RJ

20201010_035950.jpg

20201010_035925.jpg

20201010_035827.jpg

20201010_035818.jpg

20201010_035809.jpg

20201010_035723.jpg

20201010_035701.jpg

20201010_035645.jpg

• Like 1

Not fretting at all. Just that it's a darn good piece of digital gear, and I'm virtually giving it away... don't want someone worthy to miss out. If no takers and doesn't show up on SN, I'll just give it to my daughter. 18yr old listens to Tame Impala and the Weekend, bit if Drake as well. She's gone to all of their live concerts, so she wants the McIntosh. We'll see how it goes. 

As for the Esoteric digital playback systems, there was one placed in classifieds sometime back; P03 transport and the matching D03 dac. This particular seperate chassis units date a while back, 2007, however at the time it was best in Class. A mighty combination SOTA at its finest. I'm keeping a close eye on it and have made an offer, just waiting for a response from the current owner. 

In the meantime, Esoteric has also put out newer versions with 32bit dac chip sets, I'm closing in on two versions: the K07xs and K05xs, pricing is fantastic value! Although not separates as compared to the mothership P03 & D03 but utilising much improved DAC chips in dual differential config with 4 DACs per channel. So, I'll probably make a decision by end of this week. 

I sincerely believe these SOTA digital playback systems will be a significant upgrade from the Mac, which served me extremely well and even outlasted nearly every sacd/CD player I've used, including two Ref series units by ARC. My benchmark percentage in terms of performance improvement has to meet at least 35% - 40% and above. If it doesn't then the upgrade is only marginal, hence a waste of hard earned dollars. I believe this percentage in improvement will be around 45-50% easily. 

Cheers, enjoy those fine tunes!

Best, RJ

• 4 weeks later...

Ok maties, with restrictions slowly easing... I ventured out a bit and revisited two very very different systems.

1. My good mates place- Maggie 30.7's with his new Mac line up, much much better. It had far greater control, very good coherency and the ribbon tweeter didn't wonder off... The MC462 was able to control these huge panels with ease, and deliver truly superb low frequency content, was a remarkable experience. The C53 combination with this new MC462 is a great combination, no doubt. At least the design team behind Mac have really thought it through and put together something that's actually far more neutral sounding, which is a good thing allowing more of the original recording to be captured. The MC462 also delivers apprx 60% more current, and I believe this is the most significant contributor to gripping that panel. Driving two mids/highs panels around 7ft tall is one task, on top of that having to control and drive two bass panels per side, which is 4 bass panels in total plus 7ft tall, is a tremendous amount of strain on any amplifier. That's why when I heard these for the first time driven by the Relentless monoblocks, that was something else!
Anyway, he's now enjoying the 30.7's to the fullest and they've also nicely run-in, as this is another hurdle to overcome with multiple panels. They need an awful lot of break-in hours.

2. System two, which just happened today, was the drop dead gorgeous SF Strads. What a work of art, nothing quite like the finish. These were the dark grey graphite finish, simply exquisite! Just three days ago I polished my CLX's with that special furniture grade orange oil that ML supplies. Once polished the grain on the wood looked exquisite. Then when I saw the Strads, I thought oh my! Now only if ML could offer a finish like this... there goes the price up another 5grand or more.
Anyway, the Strads were driven with the wonderful CJ GATS2 and the mighty mothership, which makes the Starship Enterprise look relatively small- the Gryphon Mephisto, bloody huge! It makes my fine CJ amplifiers look like toys! Although they're certainly not toys!!!

Anyway, coming in at a healthy 175w pure Class A with that finesse and Gryphon power, oh my was that something! Very relaxing sound at the same time very enjoyable, could very very happily live with either of these very different systems.
The 30.7's room has been optimised so it's probably at its best. Whereas the Strads need a bit more tweaking in that particular room. A few variables need attention and listening position plus finer placement, which the owner is definitely attending to. Overall, it was an absolute pleasure to experience.

Then I got home around 6pm. Ate some sushi, rested for 1hr. Did a HIT workout, lifted about 124kg of weights, a good 40min workout with plenty of current & high voltage..., had a shower and started my listening session at 10pm. Now it's 1:21am and absolutely loving it!
Listening to Melody Gardot on LP, superb!

Cheers msties, and enjoy those fine tunes!

big woofty woofing!!! RJ

On 02/09/2018 at 9:42 PM, Big Dog RJ said:

Yes, this is not the first time I've heard this about ARC amps, lack of drive with stats or difficulty handling impedence swings of stats... Better off with dynamic driver designs. 

There's a chap in the UK whom I'm in touch with on a US forum (wbf) goes as Harlequin. I think he was using the Ref 250's as well and realized his CLX's were not opening up as much or what their true potential is. Later on he upgraded to the 610 monoblocks, and confirms this combination to be far better.

Kostas is using just one stereo amp, Pass Labs XA30.8, to such a remarkable performance. Rated at just 30w pure Class A, its drive and current capabilities are superb! 

I've had no issues driving large stats with CJ amplification in the past and now, hence the LP series monoblocks will have no problem. CJ to me has not only proved to be powerful in terms of solid power supplies but also highly engaging and musically involving. So far I have found this combination of the highest level of musicality and finesse for me. It should be an awesome ride from now on... 

Cheers mate, RJ 

When we use audio systems, the audio the source component delivers , is ALWAYS the best chance of us hearing music as it should occur.

A path therefore to think about to preserve the source audio , is simply allowing the source to work at optimum level  with your power amplifier(s)

Therefore we need no unnecessary level changes, rather the power amp(s) should match to the actual level that the source provides. The figure of merit used by the majority of audio equipment manufacturers is RMS milli-volts, as example a popular power amp the Quad 306 

Specifications

Power output: 50 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 13Hz to 40kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%

Input sensitivity: 0.375V

Signal to noise ratio: 105dB

Dimensions: 321 x 64 x 207mm

So what is the RMS millivolt level in commercial streams and CD's ?   it may surprise you viewed here, that the RMS level rarely exceeds +/- 350mv.

We can see Quad a reputable manufacturer established in 1936 ( as The Acoustical Manufacturing Company ) are spot on, with matching source level to power amp level , all we need in between is the best method of passive attenuation, to hear the source component properly.

Screenshot from 2020-07-04 20-05-59.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hooray! Finally can confirm the static has left the building!

With these two gadgets, highly recommended a must have for any one experiencing nasty static that trips off your preamp, especially CJ preamps... definitely not a good thing!

I was having some nasty static for a while and was wondering how to get rid of it. Finally diagnosed the problem and apart from me being the primary static carrier, it was also building up on this Spec aluminium disc mat. So each time I would lift off the LP to change sides, it would cause enough static to carry through the interconnects and onto the main preamp causing it to shut down. That was so annoying plus turning the system on and off was obviously ruining the output tubes life!

This particular brush was not cheap nor was the Furutech Destat III but whatever it does is bloody marvellous!

I read up the review by Paul G and M Fremer just to see what this thing is all about, and I can confirm every word of it is true, including sonic improvement! So that's definitely a marvellous thing.

There seems to be static just about anywhere, not only on the surface of LP's but also tubes, power amplifiers, cords, cables and discs. So as per based on the reviews, I used this thing all over the joint, and what a remarkable difference!

It looks pretty weird but definitely worth it.
And of course the Japanese had to figure this out...

Cheers to Furutech, didn't know they were based in Tokyo until now.
Finally enjoying those fine tunes on vinyl- static free!

Enjoy those fine tunes, 

Best, RJ 

20201127_143415.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after  (almost) a couple of years how are you enjoying those fantastic electrostats?

Assume that you have heard that, as they say, the CLX is 'going the way of the dodo'?

By now they are probably all gone but someone, somewhere may have the odd one available.

Bet you are now super glad that you got yours!!

Have not heard specifically the CLX but did hear the earlier CLS and it blew me away.

Just a little comment about subs.

I have a pair of ML dynamo subs.

Can't hear them when they are on but can hear the difference when they are off.

Experimented with the built in cross over on my electrostats - was unhappy.

Experimented with the crossover on the ML subs - was also not happy.

Am currently running the subs in parallel and find this to be really good.

No one ever talks about this, but that is the result of my experimentation!

Funny thing is, that once you have a full range electrostat everything else seems to be second best - well that is my opinion for what it is worth!

Keep enjoying your listening (as I am sure that you are!).

Bruce

G'day Bruce,

Nice to hear from you. Yes, infact considering the time has passed pretty quick, it's been little over two years since I purchased the CLX's, which was around Sept 2018. Since then we finally moved into our new home in Sept 2019, with much larger space they sound mighty fine! I've added a few things since, upgraded the Nordost speaker cables to Frey2, Class A bias adjust on the monoblocks, this really helps to grip the stat bass panels, and upgraded to the Esoteric K07xs digital playback system, it's a superb work of fine machinery.

After I got the Spec aluminium disc mat from Japan and added it onto the TT, it was super fine until just recently I experienced severe static. The static charge build up was so significant that each time I touched the TT or any part of the LP to change over it would trigger off a considerable charge tripping off the preamp and causing it to shut down. It was very annoying and somewhat dangerous. So finally, with the guidance of David at AV Gallery, he advised on using the Destat III gadget along with a special anti-static brush both made by Furutech. I can proudly proclaim the static has left the building!

So that's sorted out. Then after a lengthy period of contemplating on speaker isolation feet, coupling vs de-coupling... I finally placed an order on the Iso Acoustics Gaia II speaker feet and brought them home just yesterday, to find the wrong thread size! Great, so I got in touch with Selby's and they'll take care of it, need to reorder the correct thread size for the CLX's, which are nearly double the thickness of the Gaia's and the different versions the Gaia comes supplied with. In the meantime I'm waiting on a final SE upgrade on the monoblocks, where CJ has shipped the parts and upgrade kit, just waiting on a good time to send them upto Brizzie to carry out the job. So that's about it.

I did get news about the CLX's final production run, it makes sense to continue to service them of course with a good inventory of parts available from Canada HQ. However, I wasn't aware that it was so labour intensive and too costly a project to maintain, so I guess ML has their reasons for the best interest of the company to basically continue in full swing and offer their full hybrid line up, which includes the Neoliths.

So, that's a definite yes!!! Extremely glad I managed to get these full range stats before all these events transpired.

Speaking of subs and the application for them with the CLX's, makes perfect sense. Especially on full orchestral works and large hall recordings where that added weight is required, pipe organ music, deep synthesised bass... heavy LF notes, that sort of thing. However, the type of music I listen to mostly, 99.9% jazz & acoustic music and a bit of old tunes from Nat Cole & Ella Fitzgerald era, the use of subs does not further enhance the overall performance. I like to keep it simple and enjoy the original recording it its intended way. I'm a purist and prefer the truth in sound, of course enjoying the musicality signature combination of CJ & ML. The Esoteric digital player further advanced this true lifelike experience by a percentage of over 40%, compared to the previous sacd player I was using. That particular one served very well over the years and has been passed onto a very deserving music lover. Now the Esoteric has taken the podium and it's not even fully run in as yet. So the best is yet to happen!

Cheers mate, and enjoy those fine tunes! Best, RJ

Edited by Big Dog RJ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from Melb! Happy holidays and seasons Greetings. Here's wishing you all a peaceful and safe Xmas.

Well finally the monoblocks were dropped off today for a final SE upgrade with all the necessary goodies... so whiles that's taking place, which will be ready in about a week after fully running in and final tests, I picked up this beauty yet again!

Although made in the exact same factory by the exact same team and offered by the exact same brand as the tube monoblocks, yet two completely different sounds. The 2550SE is definitely no ordinary amplifier. In comparison to the monoblocks, it's much smoother, very nice extended bass, tight grip on the CLX's and has an effortless sense of drive. The highs are not as extended as the tube amplifiers, where they sort of have this enveloping sound to it, warmth ambience wraps around you and the CLX's simply disappear into thin air!

Upon the first few notes then well into half an hour the bass was lacking from the MF2550SE. Everything else was there, mid bass slam, attack and speed, great midband dynamics and all that sort of thing but where was the bottom end drive... level settings were low, only at 20 on the CT5. Then turned it up to 25...30 still nothing much. Then turned it up to 40 and above- wow! Look out! There she goes... it just shifted gears, like a Ferrari or Lambo hitting 0 - 100 in less than 4secs it just took off! Now we're talking, plenty of bottom grunt and tremendous drive, nothing to worry about and absolute accuracy, no flinching one bit.

However, this is certainly not the type of sound I prefer, I don't mind it but the MF2550SE isn't meant for soft to moderate listening. It reminds me so much of the ACT2 and Premier 350 combination, that was like Canon fire on certain levels. Very explosive, will go from a silent flutter to a thunderous bang in a blink of an eye, and the CLX's or horns can certainly deliver this, including other panel type speakers like full range ribbons. This thing can certainly deliver the goods if one was looking for less maintenance, no hassles with tubes and a truly live experience, if you prefer a pretty loud presentation.

As for me, I prefer the further extended highs, and low level detail tube monoblocks offer, plus the glorious midrange that tubes deliver and that is so engaging, it's the first thing you notice when driving with tube amplifiers. Which one do I like? Well both I guess, I could happily own this MF2550SE amplifier with no hesitation. It would be at the top of my list, amongst the many lofty ones I've heard, including the Pass Labs XS series and my all time favourite, the Relentless monoblocks. However, at a more decent and accessible price range, this would be the one.

Which one do I prefer? Obviously the tube monoblocks, afterall tubes are my passion with full range stats. Once in a while it's certainly nice to experience something like this, and just enjoy it for what it offers. I would think it's a better amplifier overall in design and layout, plus the ability to control reactive loudspeaker loads. It probably also has a higher Class A rating before it switches into Class AB, I guess this is where the LF grip takes place. However, on low levels it just falls asleep. It doesn't kick in at all, very flat and just plays tunes... unlike tubes, I could listen for endless hours and enjoy every moment being fully immersed in the presentation regardless of levels. And most of my sessions are after midnight.

Then again perhaps on a different system, one with full range ribbons, perhaps Maggie's, Apogee's or Alsyvox this MF2550SE driving any of those types of panel speakers would be superb!

So cheers to the MF2550SE! Not just an ordinary amplifier, no doubt! For those of you who still use one, it's definitely a one of a kind and sadly no longer in production.

All the very best, RJ

Oh! And most of all, enjoy those fine tunes!

20201227_024924.jpg

20201227_024749.jpg

• Like 1

Greetings maties! Fellas and fellies...

Was wondering where to post this but I thought here, since the CLX's have given me so much joy, might as well pass on my sincere wishes.

Happy new year to all, music fans, enthusiasts and fanatics! May you stay safe, healthy and have a very jolly one.

Oh! and most of all, enjoy those fine tunes.

With a big woofty woof'n

Cheers to 2021, bestes!

RJ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally installed the Gaia II's on the CLX's from Iso Acoustics. It took a while to acquire the correct thread size... after a few attempts, they were finally installed last night.

Been listening since during different intervals but tonight was the main critical session. After a few hours of repositioning the CLX's, I believe this is just about as good as it gets in my particular living room. It's a good thing I still manage to pump out 80kg dumbbell presses, man handling and placing the CLX's on their sides was no easy task for a single person. The wifey helped though to move the small carpets out of the way, as previously placed on spikes, the Gaia's don't require carpets. Hard surfaces seem to work.

Straight off the bat, from the initial notes I noticed a significant drop in noise floor. As if the washing had gone through a super spin cycle or your glasses wiped down with a special alcohol wipe, things were super quiet and very squeaky clean! Crystal clear I must say from top to bottom covering all desired frequencies.
The top end and midrange remained the same, all necessary focus and smooth silky highs, it was the bass that was very interesting. The LF is much cleaner, there seems to be more speed and greater agility in all LF information, from upper-mid-lower bass. There seems to be added bass lines or should I say, additional LF nuances that fade out brilliantly when a tune ends... this sort of thing I heard before but with the Gaia's this information is reproduced more closely. You hear all of it! I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not but whatever it's doing is definitely a marvellous thing compared to the supplied spikes.

The soundstage depth opens up nicely too, and the disappearing act seems so effortless. I guess this is what it should deliver, after all the engineering and tech put into these isolation accessories. I think Iso Acoustics have done a fantastic job with these items, of course finding the right thread size was challenging but once done, the end result is superb!

Well now I'll just have to get used to this level of fine reproduction and enjoy it to the fullest as they nicely settle in.

Cheers to those using Gaia's, enjoy those fine tunes! Big woof! RJ 

20210110_024528.jpg

20210110_024516.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally managed to get to ARR (audiophile reference recordings) on Sat, it was a fairly decent 1hr drive to the store but on the way back nearly 2hrs! The silly gps took me on a different route back home through the mcg! Richmond was playing so it was a big footy match and the crowd was massive... hence the 2hr drive through.

Anyway, I returned with 10 fine recordings, 6 on LP and 4 on CD. The LPs comprised mostly of Yuko Mabuchi Trio albums vol 2 and vol 1&2 playing tunes from Miles Davis. Accompanied by a young trumpeter name JJ Kirkpatrick or someone.. he's marvellous! Fine recording on Yarlung label 45rpm 180gm, very nice.

Then these particular 3 CDs were a fine pick from Charles himself (ARR store owner). Ultra HD on 32bit masters, and one done on K2 HD 24bit, not only are these CDs fantastic but also the musicians. J Lossiuer (think I spelled it wrong) plays a unique version of Bolero with a jazz twist, superb! Call it classic jazz or jazz classical, it's an unusual experience. Very enjoyable I must say, every single track was an absolute pleasure.

Then on Telarc we have Andre Previn playing with Ray Brown and Joe Pass, two jazz legends! Another superb recording by FIM & Telarc with the expertise of Winston Ma and the Four/five group formed by those three masters, Bishop, Fredrick and Moore. The Happy Coat album is what I'm listening to now whiles typing this, equally superb! I think I'm going to be up for a while, especially after we set the clock back an hour. They usually say that gives us 1 extra hour of sleep since day light saving ends. For me it's rather an extra hour of the finest music!

I highly recommend these labels and of course the high quality recordings on sacd/dsd that are available. I think these FIM labels mastered off 32bit UHD mastering is something extraordinary.
The Esoteric digital gear picks up every detail with the perfect balance, it's a marvellous combination. I'm sure with any high quality digital playback systems these FIM UHD discs will sound fantastic!

Cheers to FIM!
Big WOOF RJ

20210405_020249.jpg