Sign in to follow this  
ThirdDrawerDown

Internet navigation on TV: silver bullet or shotgun?

Hi, tonight I tried to use our 49" Panasonic Viera to talk through a couple of interesting internet pages with my wife. The large screen means it's easier to talk about something, but ugh! the interface.

Is there a usable interface designed for human beings that allows input into the internet search function on a smart TV?

Is there a silver bullet for using the internet on a TV?

or should I buy a shotgun and shoot the TV as being a joke by Panasonic's engineers? Because the interface is rubbish.  Here's what happened:

- I used the search bar for google. This involves using the remote control's navigation functions. Tedious: the world's slowest mouse speed.

- the keyboard is an on-screen thin that has four rows and a hunt-and-pack "click on the letter" approach

- the web result often crashes

- to scroll down in a web page means going below the bottom of the screen. Error message appears.

- "page load" crashes.

We were using the remote control as the input device. I haven't tried these options: a plugged-in keyboard. An Apple-specific app (We don't do walled gardens. We don't do apps, in this house we use "programs". We do use Windows and Linux.)

Is there a usable interface designed for human beings that allows input into the internet search function on a smart TV?

Whilst I haven't tried it myself, I think you should be able to get a bluetooth keyboard. This would make it much easier to navigate your web interface.

I have been using my Pana TV on-line to post here for about 2 years using the tv remote :  yes it would be so much easier if we could connect a keyboard somehow.

internet on tv's is awful !

hookup a chromecast and surf from your laptop.