Sign in to follow this  
Monk

First turntable... Technics SL-1200 or something new? Or just don't?

So I've been wondering for a while about whether it'd a good idea to try out playing vinyl or not.

Now say I have the opportunity to get a Technics SL-1200 Mk2 at a... reasonable price (hopefully mate's rates, but maybe not), should I go for that?  Or is something new at that price point a better bet/option/thing?

But then considering how many people complain about certain pressings, and how it seems like a bit of a crap shoot to get a decent sound, is it even worth it?  Ignoring the fact I don't really have the space for a record player.  And I'll need a phono preamp.  And I don't own any vinyl.  Is it just a giant expense that I'll regret?

3 minutes ago, Monk said:

Is it just a giant expense that I'll regret?

Maybe.  Or you may fall in love...

I'm a glass half full kinda guy so I bought my first TT this year, and I love it.  I listen to digital CD rips, streaming services and vinyl, and I love it all.  Never been happier...I came in at a level for the TT that I'll be happy with for years, so I'm just shopping for vinyl now!

And CD's...

And exploring streaming services...

I'd imagine the Technics would do well as an entry deck.  Does it come with a cart?

13 minutes ago, Monk said:

So I've been wondering for a while about whether it'd a good idea to try out playing vinyl or not.

Now say I have the opportunity to get a Technics SL-1200 Mk2 at a... reasonable price (hopefully mate's rates, but maybe not), should I go for that?  Or is something new at that price point a better bet/option/thing?

But then considering how many people complain about certain pressings, and how it seems like a bit of a crap shoot to get a decent sound, is it even worth it?  Ignoring the fact I don't really have the space for a record player.  And I'll need a phono preamp.  And I don't own any vinyl.  Is it just a giant expense that I'll regret?

Yes as in it is a considerable expense. Vinyl is extortionately priced at the moment due to its renewed popularity and fashion status.

No as in you are unlikely to regret it. It sounds glorious when you get it right.

If I hadn't had over 200 albums I collected throughout my life I would not have bothered with my new vinyl replay system. Not because it sounds worse, it sounds superb, but because vinyl is a flawed medium. At its best it is superb but, and plenty will disagree, it costs significantly more to get the same result from vinyl as it does from digital be it CD or files. And there is a considerable amount more fluffing around to make those albums continue to play well of they arent already scratched or flawed in the first place.

Given you have no vinyl you are going to spend a whole lot of money getting into it that you could spend on music.

14 minutes ago, crisis said:

It sounds glorious when you get it right.

I'll dip my toe in the water and say that it doesn't have to be expensive. My first vinyl rig cost less than $1000 and it was a real epiphany. Keep your system simple and 100% analogue. You'll never want to listen to an MP3 file again..  

Edited by charlie_bird

1 minute ago, charlie_bird said:

I'll dip my toe in the water and say that it doesn't have to be expensive. My first vinyl rig cost less than $1000 and it was a real epiphany. Keep your system simple and 100% analogue. You'll never want to listen to an MP3 file again..  

I never listened to them in the first place. Digital doesn't have to be MP3. 👍

I never listened to them in the first place. Digital doesn't have to be MP3.

Yes of course thanks for pointing that out

You could do a lot worse than the Technics.

Dip your toes in, buy a few good albums pressed well to see if it's your thing/you get the bug.

If not, it won't be too hard to move the lot on.

Hi @Monk

You'll never know unless you give it a go.

See if you can 'borrow' the TT for a few days, along with a phono and a few of the type of records you like, you will soon know if you want to go down that rabbit hole :thumb:

JJ

2 hours ago, Monk said:

I started to give a reply and stopped, now I see It has come up. So I need to reply.

Don't worry about the pressings, I have no doubt there is a difference but not huge.If you

get fussy you can buy better pressings, they may not be that much better.

A good turntable will be fine, as the one you are contemplating, I have a denon DP1200

which I bought In the 80's. Just get into it, if you were in Melbourne, Dutch Vinyl is good for buying records'

$5 to $15 buys you some good records.

Don't. Just don't. 

If you had obtained a large collection of records and you were keen to hear them, I'd say go ahead....

But since you have zero records.. Don't do it!

We all do this "hobby" to enjoy the music.

Digital is superior in every single way possible.

I expoused using vinyl back in the days when digital sounded a bit edgy. Modern DACs and low jitter transports have completely eliminated this problem.

Vinyl is a gigantic rabbit hole where enthusiasts will tell you if you just spend a little more you'll get the perfect sound... So you keep spending more. New cartridge, new preamps, upgrade bearing, new tonearm... It keeps going, and that perfect sound remains elusive..... Because vinyl wears out. Stylus wear out. There's always some colouration you hear which requires an adjustment or upgrade. It's endless. Oh, and the noise of clicks and pops, rumble, swooshes, random noises, hum, buzz. YUK!!!

Vinyl is OK, good even, if you have a good turntable and cartridge, its not terrible, but digital sounds better.

For the most part, vinyl and digital sound the same. It's just that vinyl always has more noise and distortion, even on new records. Any form of special or magical sound you may have heard about on the grapevine is simply noise and distortion.

If you have any complaints about digital audio, you need to audition some modern digital players and find one you like.

7 hours ago, joey1125 said:

I started to give a reply and stopped, now I see It has come up. So I need to reply.

Don't worry about the pressings, I have no doubt there is a difference but not huge.If you

get fussy you can buy better pressings, they may not be that much better.

A good turntable will be fine, as the one you are contemplating, I have a denon DP1200

which I bought In the 80's. Just get into it, if you were in Melbourne, Dutch Vinyl is good for buying records'

$5 to $15 buys you some good records.

Depends. There's a huge difference in a lot of the repress jazz LPs, as the catalogue becomes public domain. 

Depending on your musical tastes, some recordings from the past are only available on vinyl.

I see you are in Adelaide, I have 2 TTs set up at home, one is a DD like the Technics and the other is a belt drive.

You are welcome to come and have a listen, the DD deck cost me $0 as I rescued it from going into a skip, put a $200 2nd owner arm on it and spent about $50 getting presentable.

I admit I spent a fair bit on the cartridge but it did sound pretty good with a $50 OM10 fitted.

As I said, you are welcome to pop in if you are close enough to Parafield Gardens.

Edited by Batty

9 hours ago, eltech said:

Don't. Just don't. 

If you had obtained a large collection of records and you were keen to hear them, I'd say go ahead....

But since you have zero records.. Don't do it!

I tend to agree with this.

12 hours ago, charlie_bird said:

My first vinyl rig cost less than $1000 and it was a real epiphany. 

I fully understand the posts saying not to start if you don't already have vinyl, however I also recognise that itch to just try it out.    As you say, you can do that cheaply and still get a good appreciation for what vinyl is about.  Nothing wrong with giving it a go.  

13 hours ago, Citroen said:

You could do a lot worse than the Technics.

Dip your toes in, buy a few good albums pressed well to see if it's your thing/you get the bug.

If not, it won't be too hard to move the lot on.

Exactly what I was about to write! 

Depending on your tastes, good vinyl (and bad) can be found in op shops if you are lucky (lots of good classical).

The Technics has a good resale value if you decide records aren't for you.  Just be careful that you're not getting one that has been used and abused for DJ work (eg. lots of scratching, etc).