mrbrown66

Two hifi shows in a row in Melbourne this october?

Hey guys, 

I was thinking of heading down to Melbs for a hifi show and there are two one after the other?  Seems a bit odd.  Anyone know which event is bigger/better/more established (unbiased objectivity needed) .  Although I don't think I can make the Stereonet event anyway due to a slightly overlapping trip elsewhere.

Im mostly interested in seeing some of the high end gear in action and ideally some vinyl to fumble through.

Thanks,

5 minutes ago, mrbrown66 said:

Hey guys, 

I was thinking of heading down to Melbs for a hifi show and there are two one after the other?  Seems a bit odd.  Anyone know which event is bigger/better/more established (unbiased objectivity needed) .  Although I don't think I can make the Stereonet event anyway due.

https://www.hifishow.com.au/

https://www.chestergroup.org/australianhifiavshow/2018/tickets

Im mostly interested in seeing some of the high end gear in action and ideally some vinyl to fumble through.

Thanks,

The Stereonet one would win on this front.  But if you can't make the Stereonet one then wouldn't that make your decision for you?

It's not odd at all.

The owner of SNA began the HiFi Show to shake up the HiFi landscape here in Oz and it's been a success highlighting Australian products and manufacturers and has got bigger each year. The international Chester Group that runs shows all around the world doesn't like it, not one bit and there's your reason for the timing of the Chester Group show.

Bias doesn't come into it. As Kaynin just said, it seems the decision is already made for you anyway.

19 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

The Stereonet one would win on this front.  But if you can't make the Stereonet one then wouldn't that make your decision for you?

I could squeeze in a Melbourne trip on the Sunday only - so its still an option

15 minutes ago, mrbrown66 said:

I could squeeze in a Melbourne trip on the Sunday only - so its still an option

Can you manage both, say Sunday at the first and Friday at the second?  There will be different gear to experience at either show, but you could easily love both.  Entry really isn't expensive considering what you can experience in the one location.  Personally, I'm going to both for this very reason.

11 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Can you manage both, say Sunday at the first and Friday at the second?  There will be different gear to experience at either show, but you could easily love both.  Entry really isn't expensive considering what you can experience in the one location.  Personally, I'm going to both for this very reason.

That is a cracking idea actually. 

I was originally coming from Adelaide for both shows. Unfortunately I won’t return from overseas until after the SNA show is finished.. So my ticket to the SNA show will now be a donation.. . So I know how you feel..

23 hours ago, Luc said:

It's not odd at all.

The owner of SNA began the HiFi Show to shake up the HiFi landscape here in Oz and it's been a success highlighting Australian products and manufacturers and has got bigger each year. The international Chester Group that runs shows all around the world doesn't like it, not one bit and there's your reason for the timing of the Chester Group show.

Bias doesn't come into it. As Kaynin just said, it seems the decision is already made for you anyway.

What do you mean 'shake up the hifi landscape'. If I remember correctly, the Chester Group were the one's that resurrected the hifi show scene here in Oz. The SNA shows just jumped on the band wagon. The first show after a long time of no hifi shows I think back in 2012 {The Chester Group} from memory was the best show I had been to in Oz. I think the SNA show last year seemed quite small and there didn't seem to be that many displays. They should just run the two shows on the same weekend with extended hours over the course of the weekend so it's worth the interstaters to make the effort. I'm sure the numbers would go right up for attendances.

I wonder how industry views it - an how they decide which to attend/support?

Do you think there would be smaller crowds given 2 shows?

Anyway, I am sure its great for the hardcore Melbourne audio guys.

Two shows in Melbourne this year, none in Sydney - and looks like he reverse next year.

11 minutes ago, Lazz said:

What do you mean 'shake up the hifi landscape'. If I remember correctly, the Chester Group were the one's that resurrected the hifi show scene here in Oz. The SNA shows just jumped on the band wagon. The first show after a long time of no hifi shows I think back in 2012 {The Chester Group} from memory was the best show I had been to in Oz. I think the SNA show last year seemed quite small and there didn't seem to be that many displays. They should just run the two shows on the same weekend with extended hours over the course of the weekend so it's worth the interstaters to make the effort. I'm sure the numbers would go right up for attendances.

Cath and I were just talking about that show only the other night and how the hotel was a great venue, the rooms sounded good and the crowd was seriously interested. We have photos of listeners sitting on the floors in front of the seats just having a good time.

you need some bean bags.

plus, the smoke machine, strobes...and mini-bar can turn into a real one....:hiccup

Admin

Thread serves no purpose other than politics now, and that's not in anyone's best interests.

Admin
40 minutes ago, Lazz said:

The SNA shows just jumped on the band wagon.

Just one final comment as the SNA show organiser in our own defence - our show only exists after being approached by the now-defunct Australian Hi-Fi Association to run an independent show as a result of many within the industry being displeased with the existing show's performance combined with the fact it was/is foreign owned.

Running a show is an immensely stressful exercise and comes with massive personal financial risk. There's a hell of a lot more to it than just "jumping on the bandwagon", thanks.

Let's put it to bed in any case, and focus our efforts on embracing the shows Australia does have now, whether it's 1 or 2. It's a win for the consumer/attendee in any case.