What is the ME secret sauce?

As yet, no, although now Mr Beeblebrox seems to have found better things to do with his time, I'm leaning towards that. 

I revived this topic because I can't be the only person who would be interested (am I?), and was thinking that Stereonet would be a good place to let ME owners know of any development. I'll give it a week or so, and see what happens. Who knows, ZB might even pop in for a look.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

• 7 months later...
On 27/08/2018 at 10:55 AM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

You should contact Peter Stein to ascertain if there is someone in your area to perform those tasks. The ME1400 should probably be serviced locally, but the ME25 can be shipped easily and inexpensively. The ME25 can be serviced in a week or two, but the ME1400 will likely take longer. It depends on what has to be done. If the support foam has not been done in the last decade or so, then it should be done and the time/cost can be substantial. Figure on around $500.00 ~ $600.00 for that job alone. 

A point about Art's mods: The most significant part is the DC servo mod and full credit to Art for working this one out. It can make a big difference to ALL ME products. I perform this mod on almost every ME that crosses my bench. Peter Stein fully supports the changes. The emitter resistor changes are part of a standard service for very old ME amps, as these components can shift in value over time. 

WRT to the ME1400: If there is nothing wrong with your amp, you might be well advised to wait until early next year for an important announcement. 

On 03/06/2019 at 1:58 PM, MrRogers said:

None at the moment. I spoke to Rage Audio a few days ago.

G'day there @MrRogers, any movement in the Modular Electronics camp? I recently read elsewhere on this site that there may be something in the 2020 new year (and here we are).

I am open to contacting @Zaphod Beeblebrox  at his work address, if required.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jakeyb77
On 20/01/2020 at 12:43 PM, Uncle Seth said:

G'day there @MrRogers, any movement in the Modular Electronics camp? I recently read elsewhere on this site that there may be something in the 2020 new year (and here we are).

I am open to contacting @Zaphod Beeblebrox  at his work address, if required.

Do that. You won’t find him on here anymore 

Guest jakeyb77
25 minutes ago, andythiing said:

Why no Zaph is he not well?

He seemed fine when I spoke to him recently. He’s just left SNA 

And I haven’t heard of any upgrades.... but then I didn’t ask as I don’t have any ME gear anymore 

Edited by jakeyb77

10 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Do that. You won’t find him on here anymore 

Thanks Jake, I did that back on the day, upon urging from Mr Rogers.

The amp(s) may need to go in for day surgery only, as major upgrades are still ticking along but not yet available.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Funkster said:

Yes unfortunately I fear the worse as cannot get hold of him and not answering his phone..

I'm taking a guess and assume you're talking about Trevor? 

He's had a really crappy 12 months or so, I've had an amp with him quite a while and he has been having trouble keeping up with things. Mostly it's been him taking care of family matters in a year that has thrown many of us.

I've been getting him on the phone regularly until 10 days ago, but not called since. 

4 hours ago, Funkster said:

Yes unfortunately I fear the worse as cannot get hold of him and not answering his phone..

I believe there's someone in Melbourne who works on ME amps.  Trouble is - I can't remember his name ... maybe @Marc can provide this?

Andy

I owned an ME850 which was an awesome amp, I had the opportunity to back to back test it against a Krell amp and the 600W Acoustic Research monoblock amps and it certainly did not disgrace itself.

Sadly I lost the Amp ( along with all my other gear ) in the Blue Mountains fires in 2013.

I still have a ME550 MkII Hi Cap that Peter Stein hand delivered to me that was on loan to a friend at the time of the fire so it survived, I  intend to sell it soon as I have moved on to Valve SET amps which suit my Wilson speakers brilliantly.

• 3 months later...