cyberkank

Ceiling acoustic treatment

I was wondering if any of you guys out there have tried DIY absorption treatment to the ceiling space itself? 

I am really keen to address the first reflection points on my ceiling, but as it's only 2.4m high and part of our living room, I think suspended clouds would close it in even more.

I've been toying with the idea of cutting out the gyrock between two ceiling joists and using dense glass panels (maybe HardieFire Insulation) with a fabric or perforated board, finished flush with the ceiling.  Does this make any sense?  It'll be a messy, dusty job, but I can't think what else to do.  I'm happy to do the work if I get a noticeable improvement!

Would love your opinions or possible cost effective alternatives...

2 hours ago, crane said:

I was wondering if any of you guys out there have tried DIY absorption treatment to the ceiling space itself? 

I am really keen to address the first reflection points on my ceiling, but as it's only 2.4m high and part of our living room, I think suspended clouds would close it in even more.

I've been toying with the idea of cutting out the gyrock between two ceiling joists and using dense glass panels (maybe HardieFire Insulation) with a fabric or perforated board, finished flush with the ceiling.  Does this make any sense?  It'll be a messy, dusty job, but I can't think what else to do.  I'm happy to do the work if I get a noticeable improvement!

Would love your opinions or possible cost effective alternatives... 

What are you trying to achieve?

Your existing Gyprock ceiling will be helping to absorb bass already.

50mm of white Polymax XHD mounted on the existing ceiling will absorb first reflection higher frequencies nicely if you can get away with it.

I wouldn't cut the existing ceiling.

Mike

Thanks for your suggestion Mike!  Maybe it would be wise for me to prop up some material to the ceiling in a temporary fashion and audition that before settling on a final solution.

Just last week I ordered a miniDSP UMIK 1 and when that arrives I'm hoping to run some sweeps with REW to get a better understanding of the acoustics from my listening space.