Ceiling acoustic treatment

Hi,

Looking at putting some diffusion/absorbtion panel on my ceiling (white) to minimize first order reflection. 

I was thinking of the one that slightly hang down creating a gap between the actual ceiling and the acoustic panel and then I can potentially put some LED inside to have some ambient light. I see some example photos on google, but not sure where they are available in Australia (SA in particular)

Does anyone know where I can get my hand on some, size is about 2.4m to 1.2m.

Also open to other ideas and seeing if there are any other suggestions on ceiling acoustic treatments (must be wife friendly). 

DIY or purchased?
If you want diffusion & absorption then Binary Amplitude Diffusion (BAD) panels do both.
In studio terminology having a panel hang from the ceiling with a gap is called a “Cloud”
BAD panels come in 1D and 2D.
1D is easy to DIY - basically slats with random gaps over absorption
2D is harder and requires a mask with holes over the absorption.

I think they look great but SWMBO may not :)

Mike

1 hour ago, almikel said:

DIY or purchased?
If you want diffusion & absorption then Binary Amplitude Diffusion (BAD) panels do both.
In studio terminology having a panel hang from the ceiling with a gap is called a “Cloud”
BAD panels come in 1D and 2D.
1D is easy to DIY - basically slats with random gaps over absorption
2D is harder and requires a mask with holes over the absorption.

I think they look great but SWMBO may not :)

Mike

Will consider both DIY and purchase. Depending on complexity, cost and overall look.

yeah, my intention was to have the "cloud" ceiling so I can install some ambient lights using LED on the ceiling. 

Edited by cyberkank

Guest Peter the Greek

Acoustic Vision will sell you a BAD that size. Either the RPG product or the QuestAI product. Easy to hang like you suggest. Or perhaps a cluster of RPG BAD Arc's

How high is the ceiling? I am a particular fan of RPG's waveform which uses their flutter free diffuser as slats and absorption behind. We had drawings done up for our last room but changed our minds (reasons I wont bore you with) 

image.png.d608af96ab58ea0227fdcb7d122ad90a.png

10 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Acoustic Vision will sell you a BAD that size. Either the RPG product or the QuestAI product. Easy to hang like you suggest. Or perhaps a cluster of RPG BAD Arc's

How high is the ceiling? I am a particular fan of RPG's waveform which uses their flutter free diffuser as slats and absorption behind. We had drawings done up for our last room but changed our minds (reasons I wont bore you with) 

image.png.d608af96ab58ea0227fdcb7d122ad90a.png

Thanks, will look into them. my ceiling is 3m high

Just now, Peter the Greek said:

Yep, same people. They'll be able to do any sort of panel you like to look like that. As Mike said, I'd be looking at the BAD's - I've had very pleasing results with them on ceilings (with hardwood floors too)

Are there any information / photos of the BAD panels in the Acoustics Vision website? 

Guest Peter the Greek
31 minutes ago, cyberkank said:

Are there any information / photos of the BAD panels in the Acoustics Vision website? 

https://questai.com/buying-questai-acoustical-treaments/

http://rpgacoustic.com/bad-panel/

They'll advise what is best for your situation.

Whatever way you go, first reflection absorption on the ceiling is an excellent bang-for-buck mod, it worked really well in my room.
Yes. Likely to pull the trigger on a large BAD panel. Just need to confirm sizing and installation accessories
  • Like 1

Guest Peter the Greek

This is a RPG BAD:

image.png.7887368a7dc5fc9b161aa954996d43fe.png

The sections with the holes below is Qperf. The panel below is what I used for first wall reflections

1372008801_1510132020Perf20panel20better_zpsmtzewvbk.jpg.b3733fd760de5dd50e0699fe227f3bbe.jpg

5 minutes ago, cyberkank said:
1 hour ago, Darren69 said:
Whatever way you go, first reflection absorption on the ceiling is an excellent bang-for-buck mod, it worked really well in my room.

Yes. Likely to pull the trigger on a large BAD panel. Just need to confirm sizing and installation accessories

Ask for a comparison with the QPerf. Its the same concept, but the hole pattern is punched into the fiberglass as opposed to a membrane, so you get better mid range absorption, plus all the benefits of the diffusion

Guest Peter the Greek
5 minutes ago, cyberkank said:

Crap, looks like the retailer is not recommending a single panel to be mounted due to weight (40kg). Might have to consider multiple panels option.

Really? 40kgs is nothing, you could almost hold it up with wallmates (not that I'd recommend that). Just put cleats into the rafters, drop some chain down, cleats into the panel. Presto. Unless of course they build a flimsy panel

Edited by Peter the Greek

58 minutes ago, cyberkank said:
1 hour ago, Darren69 said:
My absorbers would have to be 30-40kg each, I screwed through to the ceiling batons. Six screws in each I think, no probs.

Were they hanging down like a cloud?

No mate, you can see them here, first installed some years back-

13 hours ago, cyberkank said:

This looks like what I had in mind, but open to consider other options too.  I have made an enquiry with the company, will see what they come back with.

http://acousticpanels.com.au/product/quietscape/

That's just absorption - with minimal DIY skills you could replicate that product for not much cost.

Most of the effort would be in making it look good.

Achieving diffusion on the ceiling is a worthwhile goal, which is where BAD panels come in - absorption and diffusion...but any treatment on the ceiling is better than none...

Mike

• Like 1

I would not buy anything yet until you can establish for sure that the ceiling treatment will make a difference.

I don't know what your speakers are but different types have different ways the sound fans out. For instance the ribbon tweeters on my speakers spread about thirty degrees vertically which means in my case there are no ceiling reflections. I tested this and it is true. You could get this information from your speaker makers.

If you can you should try and put something up on the ceiling for one (or both) speakers so that any reflections are absorbed and then listen for any difference. You could use say a folded duvet jammed up there with a 'T' shaped piece of wood. Another way would be to put something absorbent above the front of the speaker so it would prevent the sound going up to the ceiling.

If your tests do show ceiling reflections these will be from around 250Hz upwards (the approximate Schroeder frequency for your room). Therefore you would want some product that works in that range. When looking at panels etc. you should check what frequencies they absorb or diffuse. Sound proofing products like the one you linked probably won't be suitable.

Here in the UK we have GIK:

http://gikacoustics.co.uk/product/gik-acoustics-242-acoustic-panel/

The 242 panel linked would be suitable and can be 'cloud mounted' as they call it. You can click the 'Test Results' link to see what it absorbs. You can also see they weigh two or four kilograms each.

I would think an absorbent panel more likely is better then diffusion as you may sit too close to the panel (diffusors, depending on the type, need a certain distance to work properly).

You wouldn't need to cover a large area, just the point the reflections occur - a two foot square panel would surely suffice. 

• Like 2

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but if you're interested I can  put you in touch with a local craftsman who has just made some clouds and diffusers for a local sound engineer's home studio.
Here's a pic. Clouds can be seen above the diffuser. Snd me a PM if you want his contact info.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 2.55.04 pm.png

Edited by lowpoke
  • Like 2

On 30/08/2018 at 2:57 PM, lowpoke said:

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but if you're interested I can  put you in touch with a local craftsman who has just made some clouds and diffusers for a local sound engineer's home studio.
Here's a pic. Clouds can be seen above the diffuser. Snd me a PM if you want his contact info.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 2.55.04 pm.png

Hi,

that would be great. Can you PM me his detail?