cyberkank

Ceiling acoustic treatment

Hi,

Looking at putting some diffusion/absorbtion panel on my ceiling (white) to minimize first order reflection. 

I was thinking of the one that slightly hang down creating a gap between the actual ceiling and the acoustic panel and then I can potentially put some LED inside to have some ambient light. I see some example photos on google, but not sure where they are available in Australia (SA in particular)

Does anyone know where I can get my hand on some, size is about 2.4m to 1.2m.

Also open to other ideas and seeing if there are any other suggestions on ceiling acoustic treatments (must be wife friendly). 

Talk to Sound and Vison on Goodwood Rd. 

DIY or purchased?
If you want diffusion & absorption then Binary Amplitude Diffusion (BAD) panels do both.
In studio terminology having a panel hang from the ceiling with a gap is called a “Cloud”
BAD panels come in 1D and 2D.
1D is easy to DIY - basically slats with random gaps over absorption
2D is harder and requires a mask with holes over the absorption.

I think they look great but SWMBO may not :)

Mike

1 hour ago, almikel said:

DIY or purchased?
If you want diffusion & absorption then Binary Amplitude Diffusion (BAD) panels do both.
In studio terminology having a panel hang from the ceiling with a gap is called a “Cloud”
BAD panels come in 1D and 2D.
1D is easy to DIY - basically slats with random gaps over absorption
2D is harder and requires a mask with holes over the absorption.

I think they look great but SWMBO may not :)

Mike

Will consider both DIY and purchase. Depending on complexity, cost and overall look.

yeah, my intention was to have the "cloud" ceiling so I can install some ambient lights using LED on the ceiling. 

Edited by cyberkank

Plano bevel acoustic tiles pretty good

Acoustic Vision will sell you a BAD that size. Either the RPG product or the QuestAI product. Easy to hang like you suggest. Or perhaps a cluster of RPG BAD Arc's

How high is the ceiling? I am a particular fan of RPG's waveform which uses their flutter free diffuser as slats and absorption behind. We had drawings done up for our last room but changed our minds (reasons I wont bore you with) 

image.png.d608af96ab58ea0227fdcb7d122ad90a.png

10 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Acoustic Vision will sell you a BAD that size. Either the RPG product or the QuestAI product. Easy to hang like you suggest. Or perhaps a cluster of RPG BAD Arc's

How high is the ceiling? I am a particular fan of RPG's waveform which uses their flutter free diffuser as slats and absorption behind. We had drawings done up for our last room but changed our minds (reasons I wont bore you with) 

image.png.d608af96ab58ea0227fdcb7d122ad90a.png

Thanks, will look into them. my ceiling is 3m high

Just now, Peter the Greek said:

Yep, same people. They'll be able to do any sort of panel you like to look like that. As Mike said, I'd be looking at the BAD's - I've had very pleasing results with them on ceilings (with hardwood floors too)

Are there any information / photos of the BAD panels in the Acoustics Vision website?