Amp and DAC for HD 6xx?

I used to own a Hd650s (same as the 6xx) and a Schiit stack (Magni 2 and Modi 2). They sound great and complement each other very well. Definitely very good value for money.

That being said, the 6xx should scale up well with higher gear if you're willing to spend money. My opinion is that they pair well with neutral/bright dac and amps as they are a little on the warmer side. I own an AudioGd R2R-11 and thought this combination with my 650s a bit too warm and woolly sounding for my taste. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have HD650 run off a Schiit Valhalla 2.

The Valahalla 2 is sort of actually designed for the 650 with its high impedance.

Sounds great to me, great bass. Lovley tube sound with great bloom and slam. 

Easily listen to it for hours.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently purchased Schiit Jotunheim as well as a Valhalla 2 as I couldn't decide which I preferred. And I still can't figure it out, it greatly depends on my mood for the day. I can however 2nd @1224, Valhalla sounds great. 

If you prefer the solid state side of things, Jotunheim's a decent inexpensive option, drives my 650's well, but a step up from the stack, so I guess it just depends how much you're looking to spend and what you need. 

As for Dac I bought the Bimby, but Modi's probably way better bang for buck given the price, I just bought the Bimby because it stacks so nice with the Jot and Valhalla. 

Hope this helps.