Sign in to follow this  
Winno

Picture direct vs image via HTR video processor?

I've been considering a change to an audio only home theatre pre-amp/processor.

This means I will need to run all video I currently watch (Mac Mini - iTunes HD movies, Youtube HD, Netflix HD, etc, and free-to-air TV broadcasts) directly to the TV.

I'm looking to connect the Mac Mini to TV via HDMI and will run the TV's own tuner for free-to-air.

Audio out of the Mac and TV to the pre-amp will be via their respective optical or USB cables. The TV is a 62" 7000 Series Samsung.

Will I lose out on picture quality though by not employing the video processing some HTR's currently employ?

What's your experience been?

Thanks.

13 hours ago, Winno said:

Will I lose out on picture quality though by not employing the video processing some HTR's currently employ?

What's your experience been?

Go ahead with your plan Winno if you don't need the hdmi switching of your avr :) . The scaling and de interlacing done in an avr is best done with the scaling built into your display . Apart from the relative cost of the soc chipset in the avr vs the R&D put into the picture processing of the average display there is the consideration that the displays processing isn't converting from say RGB to Component Ypb pr etc or vice versa which can potentially degrade picture quality  - some displays prefer one type over the other ...

The processing isn't guessing what it has to play with and convert multiple times  . Consider also where picture calibrations are done for the best most accurate picture ; the display or the avr  ;).A clean passthrough is much more important in these days of hi bit rate UHD .

Edited by cwt