thathifiguy

Good Value Wireless Access Point

Hi all,

I'm looking at improving the wi-fi within the man cave.

I have an ethernet port in the room, but after going down the rabbit hole of ethernet switches, I am looking at going the other way and instead setting up a wireless access point in the room.

Note that ideally I would like to connect from the ethernet point in the room so it has direct connection to my router, not a wi-fi repeater.

Any suggestions?

Depends on what you want to spend.  I have found TP-Link wifi routers to be good value.  A TP-Link AC1200 is about $50, AC1750 about $90.  The other thing to consider is how capable are your devices that connect to wifi; no use getting the fast ones if your devices, especially old ones, do not use the latest protocols.

48 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Depends on what you want to spend.  I have found TP-Link wifi routers to be good value.  A TP-Link AC1200 is about $50, AC1750 about $90.  The other thing to consider is how capable are your devices that connect to wifi; no use getting the fast ones if your devices, especially old ones, do not use the latest protocols.

At this stage, I don't really need anything greater than 'N'.

I already have the modem router downstairs and a secondary router which I have configured as an access point down the furthest end of upstairs. 

This will be specifically for this room.

3 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

At this stage, I don't really need anything greater than 'N'.

Will not save a lot getting a wireless N router.  Suggest the TP-Link AC1200..

I still find Ethernet cables the most reliable connection. Just my 2c.

I use a now discontinued Budiilite wi fi set up which works OK but cables work the best at my place. No buffering etc.

1 minute ago, Darren69 said:

I still find Ethernet cables the most reliable connection. Just my 2c.

I use a now discontinued Budiilite wi fi set up which works OK but cables work the best at my place. No buffering etc.

I do too from a stability standpoint, however I am finding connecting to a switch is injecting noise into my devices so I am looking at wifi options.

Ubiquiti makes predominantly commercial grade products, though they make some of them at consumer price points.

I'd highly recommend a Ubiquiti AP AC Lite access point. It works over PoE, but comes with a power injector that can stay where your router is, reducing clutter. I've used one for the last year, usage including HD video streaming and never once had it drop out.

4 hours ago, maccdaddy said:

Ubiquiti makes predominantly commercial grade products, though they make some of them at consumer price points.

I'd highly recommend a Ubiquiti AP AC Lite access point. It works over PoE, but comes with a power injector that can stay where your router is, reducing clutter. I've used one for the last year, usage including HD video streaming and never once had it drop out.

Thanks! Will be sure to take a look!

I use a netgear range extender.... Had 4 ports and created its own WiFi