Black and Silver mixture?

Not sure if this has been asked before?

My components are all black. Recently there was an item in the classifieds that I was  interested in. But it was Silver and I didn't make an offer because I want all black in the rack.

So I wondered how prevalent my response is?

Do you care if your gear is colour mismatched? If so, what are your 'rules'?  Or do you stick to one colour no matter what?

What say you.

11 minutes ago, Jeddie said:

Not sure if this has been asked before?

My components are all black. Recently there was an item in the classifieds that I was  interested in. But it was Silver and I didn't make an offer because I want all black in the rack.

Do you care if your gear is colour mismatched? If so, what are your 'rules'?  Or do you stick to one colour no matter what?

What say you.

I agree.

All of my gear ( except for one not used amplifier ) is silver and I have hesitated  to buy used gear on several occasions because I don't like the idea one black item amid 4 other silver items.

Of course, performance is the most important thing, but it is also important ( to me ) to have a nice visual flow and there are almost always alternatives or identical items in the other colour.

My choices have always been based on the sound quality, as I don't have an excessive budget.  So my electronics don't match, most is black (as I prefer it to visually receed, and it can reflect in the tv depending on where you sit).  In an ideal world I would like to have an all-matching black system with unsurpassed sound.  Might occur if Mrs.Feline ever has a wining Tatt's ticket. 

52 minutes ago, Jeddie said:

+1 from me.

Needs to be black.  Silver (or other) is an abomination.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

+1 from me.

Needs to be black.  Silver (or other) is an abomination.

Sort of correct.....

Needs to be consistent in colour, mix and match is the abomination! Having said that, I have decided on the item of equipment I want, then waited for it in the appropriate colour, I haven't bought on the basis of colour alone.

However, all bets are off when it comes to TTs.....IMHO anyway

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, markm1111 said:

Needs to be consistent in colour, mix and match is the abomination!

Exactly.

I like both black and silver but not mixed.  It just happened that  almost all of my gear is silver, hence the preference.

If most of my gear was black then the reverse would be true.

Edited by rantan

I tend to not mix and match too much.

silver is the new black... :D  and im sticking with it.... for my 2ch gear

av/ht gear tends to be black.... and thats what I predominately have.

ive even gone as far as exploring changing face plates on a couple of potential purchases but ended up not being worth it in both cases :)

while my gear is very much there for purpose... it also needs to fit in ... look the part :D 

• Like 1

All black.  Not shiny black, but matte black.  And no leds or glowy bits if you can help it, at least none where you are going to see them,  except if the unit is made to look like a work of art...like some of the vintage Sansui's.  A timber facade, that might be ok under the right circumstances.

I must live dangerously - each unit of my equipment is black and silver, Eg speakers (see icon).

The colour scheme of the room is grayscale, so it all works out.

However, I have yet to get matching speaker cable (currently an ugly green).

The Meridian 808.3i that I purchased some time back broke the back of my silver OCD. And there was much rejoicing.

Since then I have a mixture but I still situate it all so it still sits OK, foureggzample, two black components on the outside of top shelf, silver in the centre, all silver on the bottom.

This will be a fun thread. :D 

Edited by Darren69

Black or silver tend to go in industry wide trends, if you purchase a number of components within a similar decade, they tend to match by default.  My 1st HiFi was all silver but then I upgraded a number of things in the 90s (Pioneer A400, TEAC V3000, AMC cd8a) which were all black except the old radio tuner.  More recently, I inherited a Yamaha A700 (1983) and Polk 10Bs so now I have a mismatched silver amp now.  Oddly, I never tried the Pioneer A400 with the Polk’s, I guess I should do that.  I think black ages better than silver which can sometimes look quite shabby rather quickly.  So I tend to prefer black but am not above mixing them.

Edited by kenwstr

.no mention of the brushed gold aluminium gear from the 70s like marantz,luxman,accuphase, had both the luxman 507x and marantz 1120 both gold in timber cabinets,these days it's all ME electronics in ME BLACK.

Mine is 98% black aside from my VHS player and one of my phono pre amps.

I never use to mind/be as fussy when I had silver speakers and a gold marantz AVR and a black blu ray player and silver VHS but then I started to upgrade a number of years ago starting with a black AVR and slowly to black speakers etc etc and now i must admit I kind of balk anything not black or look for the black option in the same product.  I like how discrete it all is set up in my cabinet, but that said, I do like alot of the current line of brushed silver products out there to look at also, just not for my room and current set up though.

I have both black and silver now. 

Used to have all black rack mount solid state gear, loved it black.

When I started purchasing tube gear, I got all black as well. (Amp-Preamp-PhonoPreamp-CDPlayer)

Tube gear went on a stand which made black buttons and knobs on black gear hard to see, needed lighting.

Added another turntable and purchased a silver phono preamp.  Liked it so much being able to locate on-off button,  I ordered new fronts for existing Amp, Preamp, and PhonoPreamp.

CD Player it would have been entire case that needed replaced so I got chrome buttons for it.

Power Center is still black and it's still difficult to see the master switch which is black too.

Tuner is silver Marantz 125, don't think it was offered in black back in 1974. :)

In the rack, black was fine, gear was easy to see.

With the cabinet, it was difficult with everything on the unit black.

I have no preferences to color, it was totally the ability to see controls for me. 

Location of gear determined color needed, not personal preference.

My preference in the past has always been black.  I now have a Soulutions player and DAC, Pre and 2 power.  They only come in silver.  The collective performance plus the similar look of each of the four boxes with their seductive curved top and bottom front more than makes up for the lack of black.  I am very pleased with the silver.  In fact the boxes may not look as good in black as they do in the silver.

John

Edited by Assisi
word
  • Like 1

Silver always looks cheaper to me, especially in cars.  I think it comes from seeing all that cheap plastic gear with silverish coating.

However,

I don't let it stop me buying something in silver if that's the only option and it does something I really need/want, and/or it's a bargain !   :thumbsup:

I prefer black but wouldn't turn down a bargain if it was another colour. The Extrema spider rack I bought on Sna is silver but the price saved me a heap of gold on rrp.

My Doge 9 monoblocks only came in silver/grey when I bought them last year. This year they are in black. Minor bummer. 

IMG_20180820_171622833.thumb.jpg.a3090e7f0cebe2ba681d2ba8b9523418.jpg

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Silver always looks cheaper to me, especially in cars

@aussievintage

So from your perspective many people prefer cheap looking cars.  There are many more silver cars than black.  As I have said above my preference is black.  I have found though that silver done with real style and flair can be as good or even better than black. 

John