Advise on Cawsey Cables

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone could tell me what the components at the end of these interconnects are, what do they do and was there a specific way I should hook them up? Its black on one end and red on the other. Makes no sense to me?

Cheers!

IMG_7863.jpgIMG_7862.jpg

Edited by jgunner

The Black end looks like it has an I.C. in it while the Red end looks to have a Ferrite Bead for RFI Suppression in it.
Are they just interconnects or have they a special purpose?

Well I bought them as interconnects and have been using them as such. I am no electronics person so genuinely want to learn and understand what they do and how I am supposed to connect them

20 hours ago, PonyTail said:

The Black end looks like it has an I.C. in it while the Red end looks to have a Ferrite Bead for RFI Suppression in it.

Are they just interconnects or have they a special purpose?

Yeah, it looks like a MIL-spec, ceramic IC. Could be a resistor array? Either way, I can't see it being much use.

• Like 1

The "IC" appears to be a "resistor network and array", The BI 899-X series (the X changes for different values), for example https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/BI-Technologies-TT-Electronics/899-3-R1K?qs=N5dOQkml4H98lawKzdQq0w%3D%3D

Would this suggest that it is an attenuation circuit? 

So what would it impart on a set of interconnects? Am genuinely curious to know

An attenuator reduces the volume.  Interconnects with attenuators are used when the output from one device is too great for the input of another, the attenuator reduces the volume so the input is not overloaded. 

From what I have read attenuators usually consist of two resistors.  With the IC being a "resistor network and array" suggests that the chip has some resistors in it which are being used.  A clever way of making something simple appear complicated to the unwary, so they can charge a lot more than what would be charged for soldering a couple of resistors in an RCA plug.  The amount of attenuation (reduction in volume) would depend on the resistor values; commercially made ones come in different values to cater for different requirements. 

It would be very easy to check if this is an attenuator lead.  Put the Cawsey interconnect between your CD and preamp, play a CD, and note the volume.  Change the Cawsey interconnect with another interconnect (the quality doesn't matter), and note the volume playing the same CD track.  The Cawsy's will be attenuators if they are noticeably quieter than the normal interconnects. 

"the Red end looks to have a Ferrite Bead for RFI Suppression in it".  These beads are very useful in some contexts for reducing RF noise in a signal.  From what I've read they are not useful in audio RCA interconnects (and may even degrade the sound somewhat). 

Disclaimer: I'm not a technician, and there are certainly some very knowledgeable people here.  If my understanding is not correct I will welcome clarification. 

• Like 1

@audiofeline thanks mate. that is good to know. have just tested what you have suggested with Brothers in Arms. it is indeed slightly softer with the Cawsey cable and i would not have noticed if i didn't specially listened for it.  However, my system tends to be too forward for my liking. beginners mistake and am slowly finding out what i like and don't like. The Cawsey interconnect surprisingly slows things a tad down and what that has done is cleans up the instrument seperation and imaging seems better, vocal alot rounder....placebo? possible. but i have been listening to it a few nights now going between my original interconnects and then back to the Cawsey. 

Rega Elex-R

Monitor Audio Gold 100

Marantz SA-8005

Analysis Plus Chocolate Oval interconnects and speaker cables

Edited by jgunner

16 hours ago, jgunner said:

@audiofeline thanks mate. that is good to know. have just tested what you have suggested with Brothers in Arms. it is indeed slightly softer with the Cawsey cable and i would not have noticed if i didn't specially listened for it.  However, my system tends to be too forward for my liking. beginners mistake and am slowly finding out what i like and don't like. The Cawsey interconnect surprisingly slows things a tad down and what that has done is cleans up the instrument seperation and imaging seems better, vocal alot rounder....placebo? possible. but i have been listening to it a few nights now going between my original interconnects and then back to the Cawsey. 

Rega Elex-R

Monitor Audio Gold 100

Marantz SA-8005

Analysis Plus Chocolate Oval interconnects and speaker cables

The attenuation should only lower the volume, it shouldn't affect the quality of the sound unless the unattenuated level coming out of the device is overloading the input - which is why it would be required to be used.  If the output levels from your device are OK for the input, then it's basically doing the same thing as turning the volume control down a notch or two.  If you don't need it, you are better without the attenuation.

The cable in the Cawsey might be higher quality than your regular RCA's, which could be giving the better clarity, imaging and separation.  You might want to try another quality cable to compare with your regular RCA's. 

Edited by audiofeline

@audiofeline I believe the Cawseys are indeed of higher quality and better shielding than my original RCAs which would explain the benefits you have mentioned. I am only new at this hobby and was pleasantly surprised the interconnects did make a significant positive difference. i have read too many times they are snake oil alongside power and digital cables. at the moment, my interest is definitely piqued but am trying very hard to keep my head level (oh boy what a laborious task!). would definitely be keeping a look out in the classifieds. thanks for the inputs. glad i found this forum!

• Like 2

This may be of interest, to contact the original cable builder
http://cawsey.com.au/
Neo

I have actually tried calling before and the number has been disconnected. I am curious to find out what interconnects would be a significant step up from what I have but the choices are mind boggling and so are the prices!

• 4 weeks later...

Garry is a really nice guy. He made recently a set of interconnects for me that are simply superb. His shop is just off Sydney rd and only 5 mins from the CBD. If you can get out it is worth it and I'm certain he would be more than happy to answer any questions. When I went he had these speakers he made that were about 6 feet high and 4 feet wide. He asked if I wanted a listen. They were incredible and filled his warehouse.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Gary's on the weekend. First time I had ever been there. Was a real pleasure and he's a real nice guy. Is very knowledgeable. I did hear the large speakers you mentioned, very interesting design. The smaller speakers on demo were excellent also. Wish I wasn't in such a hurry would have loved to of had a longer stay. 

• Like 2