speaker placement in L shaped room

hi all - has anyone had experience with large-ish  floor standers i an L shpaped room.  in the photo below the speakers are right in the middle of the room and I sit against the wall - the room is 6 metres long and the speaker fronts are at the three metre mark.  the L bit goes off the the right and is slightly longer  - about 7 metres.  I have been gradually moving them forward from the wall behind them and this seems to be the best spot. they sound very good to me in the position and i am sitting at the point of an equilateral triangle, but has anyone else got any insights about placement?  WAF isn't a consideration fortunately so i can do anything i want

1A2A6977.JPG

Usually one needs symmetry to get the best sound. In other words the speakers should have the same surfaces behind, to the side and in front, if possible otherwise the sound will be unbalanced.

What you seem to have at the moment is the rear corners behind the speakers pretty symmetrical, but the side walls are not. You will get mid to high frequency reflections off the left window (unless you open it - that would be an interesting experiment) but those from the right speaker will go the seven metres to the right wall so take a little longer to reach your ear.

I'm surprised you find the sound better as you've pulled the speakers out. I would have thought that further back would be better. Perhaps you could move your chair closer to the speakers instead. I use this method. Looks odd but works for me in a rectangular room:

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/monitoring.htm

I would also think it would be worth trying the speakers along the window/wall where the left speaker is, with your chair about where the right speaker is, or further in.

The other possibility is a diagonal placement, with the speakers around the corner that we are looking at and the listening chair a little to the right of the one in the bottom left corner of the picture.

with the speakers like this there is basically no sound at all really except from behind them on most recordings.  most of the centralised sound like a voice appears to come from where the TV set is and other sounds to the right and left behind the speakers