Bluesound Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest jakeyb77
7 hours ago, Ozflyer said:

Upto $1500, warm sound with MQA capable.

Try the Node 2i on it’s own. It’s VERY capable. The Inbuilt DAC is great. 

Anyone tried the Alexa voice support?

i had a play yesterday using the Alexa app on iphone and couldnt get it to work. Added all the skills into alexa, and the made the defult player my main stereo.

For example trying to get it to play rolling stones on tidal.

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
2 minutes ago, Andrews_melb said:

Anyone tried the Alexa voice support?

i had a play yesterday using the Alexa app on iphone and couldnt get it to work. Added all the skills into alexa, and the made the defult player my main stereo.

For example trying to get it to play rolling stones on tidal.

I’d need ten valiums to even try that. I’ve had Google home since it came out and all I can do is turn my lights on and off and ask it the weather 

• 3 weeks later...

So how are all those Node 2i’s treating everyone?  I have been round and round in circles trying to decide how to best stream music for the family, and the Node, or perhaps Vault, 2i looks like perhaps the best option.

Some background:

- 3 kids and missus, all happy to use their respective iPhones/pads to stream our Spotify Premium account

- 2 systems/2 lounges.  Ethernet Cat6 in all rooms.

- front lounge currently little cheap Spotify Connect streamer>Music Labs pre then power>Trevor Lees speakers.  Standalone DAC on the way.

- about 500+ CD’s in a drawer I’d like to rip onto an easily managed drive

It looks like the Vault 2i will do all of this pretty well.  I wanted to hear from anyone using the Vault.  I’ve seen a Node 2i go here for $700. That makes the “vault” an additional $1k option - an aweful lot for a cd drive  and a hard drive!

thoughts?

Mat

30 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

So how are all those Node 2i’s treating everyone?  I have been round and round in circles trying to decide how to best stream music for the family, and the Node, or perhaps Vault, 2i looks like perhaps the best option.

Some background:

- 3 kids and missus, all happy to use their respective iPhones/pads to stream our Spotify Premium account

- front lounge currently little cheap Spotify Connect streamer>Music Labs pre then power>Trevor Lees speakers.  Standalone DAC on the way.

It looks like the Vault 2i will do all of this pretty well.  I wanted to hear from anyone using the Vault.  I’ve seen a Node 2i go here for $700. That makes the “vault” an additional $1k option - an aweful lot for a cd drive  and a hard drive! 

thoughts?

Mat

Why don't you just buy the Node 2i and RIP the CDs to a HDD and attach it to the Node?

1 minute ago, dolphy said:

I think the Vault has an inbuilt ripper, its an expensive storage and ripper.

Yeah that’s what I thought from reading.  It looks like ripping using computer and an easy ripping program onto an external drive and plugged into the Node 2i would be money better spent.....?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

Plus the vault is slow at ripping from memory. I just rip CD’s using iTunes to AIFF. 

One wonders where the price differential comes from?  I would have though maybe an additional $200, maybe $300, gives a bigger case, CD drive, hard drive and software, + profit.  Hmmm....

On 05/02/2019 at 8:23 AM, Mat-with-one-t said:

Some background:

thoughts?

Mat

Hey Mat,

I have had the vault 2i in my system since Christmas and I must say I'm very happy with it. I have never really been that keen on the streaming side of things before but being able to explore new music say on Tidal and having all my music at my fingertips won me over in the end.

I got a great deal locally in the boxing Day sales, great local service, advice and ongoing support from West Coast Hifi was an added bonus.

The unit definitely isn't cheap but for an absolute computer numpty like myself it is well worth the extra coin. Unpack, plug it in and chuck a cd in and all the work is done for you. The streaming side of things with Tidal was an absolute breeze as well, I have been looking for and listening to some great new music so I'm stoked.

Yes you could spend a hell of a lot less to get the same outcome, but the convenience and having a onebox plug and play solution is well worth it for myself.

I have been very impressed with the sound quality as well. I'm not running an external dac so only using the inbuilt dac and I think it's a winner. I have a Meridian cd player that I still think sounds better but it is very close. I don't feel that I'm missing much not using the Meridian. An external dac will be on the cards at some stage but it's not a priority.

One last thing is the missus is happy with how it looks and sounds and also has no problem using it. Bonus ?

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers Dave.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

On 05/02/2019 at 11:23 AM, Mat-with-one-t said:

Some background:

thoughts?

Mat

Further question gang.

Is there a way to use the Node 2i primarily via Ethernet?  That is, control it via apps from one’s i-thing of choice, but then have the unit stream via Ethernet to an end-point, rather than wireless?

I ask as my house has Cat6 Ethernet cable to all rooms.  They all travel from a cupboard where the modem and Ethernet hubs live, with an incoming adsl connection.

I imagine a Node 2i would go in the (busy hub of the house) front room, where there’s the telly and a 2-channel setup.  It would be connected via Cat6 back to the modem.  

So how would I set up an “end point” at my other stereo (in another separate lounge) and maintain both signal and sound quality integrity.  Does it HAVE to be wireless? If so, what wireless end point would I use?  I currently have a jerry-rigged old iPhone>“Camera connector” USB>gustard U10 USB to spdif converter>DAC>pre>power.....

Also, can the Node 2i manage more than one signal at once?  Say, me listening on big stereo in back room, kid on headphones listening to some aweful mainstream stuff, missus listening on front stereo....?

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

58 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Also, can the Node 2i manage more than one signal at once?  Say, me listening on big stereo in back room, kid on headphones listening to some aweful mainstream stuff, missus listening on front stereo....?

If you have multiple players - say a few nodes, or the pulse speakers then yes

the BluOS app has the ability to play different songs on different bluesound players. 

Although i dont know if your using the same Tidal account that this is possible?

i have a Node, Pulse and Soundbar, and have had different music on each, or you can link them all and play the same music through the house

edit: my node and soundbar are connected by cat6, then the Pulse on wifi so its easy to move around

all controlled within the one iOS app - BlueOS (also the app works well with windows)

Edited by Andrews_melb

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jakeyb77

So recently I’ve been having issues streaming Tidal. It constantly drops out. Bluesound have said it’s my internet as Apple Music etc stream fine. 

They have asked me to take it up with Tidal. I’m assuming that will be a lost cause. 

Dont know if anyone else has had issues but it’s dissapointing as I bought the Node 2i specifically for Tidal