Bluesound Owners & Discussion Thread

BluOS communicates  using your home network to the Node 2 and everything is taken care for you.  Tidal App only knows what is on iPad.  Until you pair the iPad using Airplay or Bluetooth to Node 2, Tidal cannot play to the Node 2.  Hope this helps.

Curious why you want to use the Tidal app rather than BluOS App?  I find BluOS is one of the better Apps around and makes things easier to use and setup.

• Like 1

Thanks Snoop, you're a legend , most helpful.

I've been using the Bluos App ever since I've subscribed to Tidal but last night I had a look at the Tidal app and noticed that it obviously had collated my music interest/taste and provided some play lists, "mixes for you" and recommendations according to what I have been playing.

Guest thathifiguy

The Tidal app is not like Spotify, you can't just "send" audio to any wifi connected audio device.

The only way you can play direct from the Tidal app is via Bluetooth.

Thanks gentlemen, as always, a wealth of knowledge.

What a fantastic community this is.

This streaming thing has been amazing for an older bloke like me.

Listened to John Paul Young’s greatest hits last night, and drifted back to that era, memories, isn’t that why we all listen to the music at some stage.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

the Node 2i has a decent DAC onboard. You can choose all of the settings in the Bluos app. SQ is improved if you let the Node do the unfolding of MQA rather than let the tidal app do the "first" unfold. You can try it both ways (so to speak) via the Bluos app and let your ears decide!

• Like 1

Hi,

I am considering rationalising all of the boxes in my tv / hifi cabinet. Currently I have a pre/power amp, DAC, cd player, Bluesound Node2, turntable, phono-pre amp, headphone amp and external power supply for the headphone and phono amps. This runs through a pair of bookshelf speakers and sub. I have obviously invested time and money into this arrangement and am rather content with where it is at sound wise. 

However, the reality is that I just don't get to sit down and properly enjoy music very often at the moment and that doesn't look like it will be the case for some years with young kids starting to ramp up with sport and other activities.

I love the convenience of the Bluesound Node2 acting as a Spotify hub and library for my cd collection on an external HD so much that I bought a pair of Pulse Flex speakers to match. I seem to listen the Flex speakers most frequently now as they are so quick and easy to use, provide decent sound quality and the kids and wife can happily manage them too.

The turntable is a non-negotiable having invested a reasonable amount into it and amassing a fair collection of vinyl over the last 20yrs.

I can't recall the last time I played a cd on my system, although I keep buying them and ripping them to my HD, or listening to albums via Spotify Premium.

Initially I was considering scaling back to an integrated amp, the Node +/- DAC and the turntable + phono pre-amp.

However, I am also considering a Bluesound Powernode to replace everything bar the turntable and phono amp. I know this can't possibly be on par sound quality wise with my current gear but for sheer convenience it seems to represent a tidy solution. I keep my turntalbe, speakers and sub going until the time returns when I can sit down and really appreciate the music again. 

I am yet to venture to my local store for a demo of a Powernode, and am also half considering the Bluesound Pulse Soundbar (put the bookshelf speakers away until later).

Before I do, I would like is some feedback from those of you whom have ventured down the path of the Powernode or Soundbar on their musical merits compared to your prior / existing main systems, and what pitfalls / upsides there were to going down this alley? 

I am all ears.

I recently was connected to the NBN - and the process was fairly simple as it turned out.

I previously had a Netgear Nighthaw X6 router separate to my modem and had an external HD connected to it with my cd library on it. My Bluesound Node2 and Pulseflex speakers were able to easily identify the file / directory name of the attached USB and connected to this library with no issue.

However I have had to change over to the Optus provided Sagecom router as it was the only way we could maintain our home phone (don't ask why but it's a non-negotiable) using a VOIP connection.

My problem is when I connect my external USB to the Sagecom it does not come up as an available library on the BluOS app. The manual says it can act as a sharing device on the network, and when I go into the router page online there is a name for it, but typing this name into BluOS does not connect. I suspect there is an extended directory file name that BluOS needs to connect to it but I have not been able to ascertain what it may be. 

I presume someone else out there has encountered this already as we are rather late to the NBN "party" so am hoping someone can help me with this issue.

One solution I have read is turn off the wifi function on the Sagecom and then attach the Nighthawk via network cable to the Sagecom to act as the wifi signal instead, and attach the USB to the Nighthawk.  I'd rather avoid this if possible as I don't really want another largish box sitting on the shelf if it can be avoided.

Any / all input is appreciated. Please keep the language simple as I am pretty average in the IT space.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, dirktoggler said:

However, I am also considering a Bluesound Powernode to replace everything bar the turntable and phono amp. I know this can't possibly be on par sound quality wise with my current gear but for sheer convenience it seems to represent a tidy solution.

I can relate to ( and share ) your circumstances regarding convenience, but one thing about which you need to be cognisant, is that even with a stand alone phono stage you won't be able to use your TT via the powernode as it does not have any RCA line level inputs.

I have also considered a product such as this, but the lack of any analogue line input capability was a deterrent for me. I also considered the Naim Uniti Atom as this does have one line level input but the price is beyond my interest in such a device, although it really is very appealing.

• Like 1

Guest thathifiguy
5 minutes ago, rantan said:

you won't be able to use your TT via the powernode as it does not have any RCA line level inputs.

This is incorrect, the Powernode actually has two dual purpose inputs. It would just require the use of an RCA-3.5mm stereo cable.

image.png.845e487c4446db6421973a6df004c40f.png

Edit* Technically it IS correct as there are no RCA Inputs, however there is a workaround as highlighted above.

Edited by thathifiguy

4 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

This is incorrect, the Powernode actually has two dual purpose inputs. It would just require the use of an RCA-3.5mm stereo cable.

My apologies and I stand corrected. When I was looking at one I failed to note the 3.5 mm inputs. As Sherlock Holmes would have said " you may see but you do not observe"

Wise words indeed.

Edit: a question if I may. Does this have any impact on sound quality? Apologies to the OP for the slight OT but it may be of benefit to know this.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rantan said:

My apologies and I stand corrected. When I was looking at one I failed to note the 3.5 mm inputs. As Sherlock Holmes would have said " you may see but you do not observe"

Wise words indeed.

Edit: a question if I may. Does this have any impact on sound quality? Apologies to the OP for the slight OT but it may be of benefit to know this.

No issue at all @rantan, it's definitely something I am keen to get feedback on as I did note the 2 inputs are present but have not used a RCA to jack cable since I hooked up my ipod to an amp over 10yrs ago. I assume that by now there are RCA to jack cables out there that don't represent a huge degradation on sound quality compared to RCA to RCA cables.

2 hours ago, dirktoggler said:

However I have had to change over to the Optus provided Sagecom router as it was the only way we could maintain our home phone (don't ask why but it's a non-negotiable) using a VOIP connection.

It's an attempt by Optus to lock customers into paying them for service/calls.    Customers who provide their own hardware, can more easily select their own VoIP service provider.

2 hours ago, dirktoggler said:

when I go into the router page online there is a name for it, but typing this name into BluOS does not connect.

Are you able to see the shared library (or media device) when looking in the "network" section of your operating system (Windows or Mac)?

For example, under Network in Microsoft Windows, I see:

image.png.cfd79f489292d88279ba78e882e5f22a.png

If the modem was sharing the USB storage, it should be broadcasting that capability as something.   Perhaps not a something that the BluOS can see .... but we should ascertain if the modem is sharing the USB at all, before going further.

8 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

It's an attempt by Optus to lock customers into paying them for service/calls.    Customers who provide their own hardware, can more easily select their own VoIP service provider.

Are you able to see the shared library (or media device) when looking in the "network" section of your operating system (Windows or Mac)?

For example, under Network in Microsoft Windows, I see:

image.png.cfd79f489292d88279ba78e882e5f22a.png

If the modem was sharing the USB storage, it should be broadcasting that capability as something.   Perhaps not a something that the BluOS can see .... but we should ascertain if the modem is sharing the USB at all, before going further.

Thanks for that @davewantsmoore, I'll have to check when I get home.

From memory, I had a look and it's not.

Guest thathifiguy

You can find some decent ones. I used to have a WireWorld one, AudioQuest I believe have a range of them too, as well as Chord Company maybe?

35 minutes ago, dirktoggler said:

No issue at all @rantan, it's definitely something I am keen to get feedback on as I did note the 2 inputs are present but have not used a RCA to jack cable since I hooked up my ipod to an amp over 10yrs ago. I assume that by now there are RCA to jack cables out there that don't represent a huge degradation on sound quality compared to RCA to RCA cables.

@dirktoggler       Frankly, I would be very surprised if this arrangement did not lead to a degradation to sound quality. A phono stage is after all, a very important part of overall turntable performance. I do understand that this situation was probably not foremost in the engineers' minds when they were working on the design Powernode, but this aspect needs to be considered by anyone wanting to use a TT with this device.

@rantan the convenience is what I am chasing at the moment. I could swallow a reduced degree of detail with vinyl as part of this, but not a wholesale drop. Some of the cables that@thathifiguy mentioned would be worth investigating further.

I note the Soundbar 2, not the current 2i, has RCA input which is tempting for the turntable aspect but means my speakers would go back into their boxes / into the classifieds.

46 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Not sure of your budget, but if you like BluOS, suggest the NAD C658

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/nad-electronics-c-658-streaming-dac-preamp-review

And you may not lose as much on quality either..

Good idea, except for one thing. The OP is seeking a streamer with built in power amplification.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1