Bluesound Owners & Discussion Thread

From a bunch of research I did for a streamer that started with Auralic Aries G2, and then swerved into Lumin, then Aurender, and ended with Antipodes, I do recall that I was very interested in the choice between the Lumin D2 and the Lumin U1 Mini which looked a good choice for those comfortable with/preferring an outboard DAC.  The Lumin models were very enticing indeed from a spec and review perspective (never got to point of an audition)!

Edited by Dilettanteque

I won't be upgrading from my Node 2, as much as I've heard improvements from a Sonos Connect, then Denon Heos and now the Bluesound, any further improvements to the 2i would have to be minor via coax, on my system anyway!

Plus I love the sound from the one I have so no need to chase rainbows anymore!

• Like 5

Guest jakeyb77
2 hours ago, TerryO said:

@jakeyb77 just wondering if you have had a chance to try it without the Klien dac connected?

cheers Terry

Not yet Terry. Haven’t had a second for music I’m afraid. Silly season 

Guest jakeyb77

Just had a quick play sans dac. In short I could very much live with this player without a dac. I played Folk Singer by Muddy Waters as I know this record really well. There was the separation I expected. Drums mostly in the left. Acoustic guitar in the right. Plenty of bass that’s sharp and great attack on the snare. 

With the vinyl and the Klein Muddy is dead centre and far back. I would say that this wasn’t as defined as it could be and was a little washed out rather than pin point middle. Was it annoying? No. Just evident knowing the difference. 

I would say it’s a very good performer. Give one a try. 

*** hmm I just noticed with volume up loud I was getting a signal distortion on very loud vocals from Muddy. When it went quickly from medium to loud. 

Edited by jakeyb77

On 12 December 2018 at 6:32 PM, jakeyb77 said:

Just had a quick play sans dac. In short I could very much live with this player without a dac. I played Folk Singer by Muddy Waters as I know this record really well. There was the separation I expected. Drums mostly in the left. Acoustic guitar in the right. Plenty of bass that’s sharp and great attack on the snare. 

With the vinyl and the Klein Muddy is dead centre and far back. I would say that this wasn’t as defined as it could be and was a little washed out rather than pin point middle. Was it annoying? No. Just evident knowing the difference. 

I would say it’s a very good performer. Give one a try. 

*** hmm I just noticed with volume up loud I was getting a signal distortion on very loud vocals from Muddy. When it went quickly from medium to loud. 

I was actually hoping you were going to say it sounded good but not great without the Klien. 

cheers Terry

• 2 weeks later...

It’s not a node, but I picked up a Vault 2i for Christmas.107D129E-CC6A-4FFB-BDB9-938B3AB67C59.thumb.jpeg.5d954e5a5acf32c193e48e9adb749117.jpegA39B44AB-DEEE-457C-A38D-5FD02138D593.thumb.jpeg.8081e289e90824a7af8c59284f750c93.jpeg

Out of the box it’s a really nice looking and feeling bit of kit. I have only just set it up but so far I’m pretty impressed with it. I’m not using an external Dac at the moment, will probably get one at some stage, it sounds pretty good, I don’t think it’s quite as good as the Meridian but not far away. 

Its also the first time I have used Tidal, I’m impressed. Will look to set up roon in the future as well.

Its a little slow to rip cds onto the hard drive but I’ll slowly work through my collection.

Im a very happy chappy. ?

98487CDE-C5FD-4E1B-A806-CC0C48A58627.jpeg

• Like 6

Decided to also take the dive into Bluesound, and picked up a Node 2i on the weekend. It replaced a Yamaha WXAD-10 streamer.

First impressions are, it’s a quality built unit, the iOS app is easy to use, and the whole unit seems to be well designed.

From a sound perspective, I don’t hear any improvement over my WXAD-10, probably because they are running the exact same DAC (which I found out post purchase after some googling).

End of the day, I’m happy with the purchase, it provides MQA and allows for future DAC upgrades (and it’s scratched my upgrade itch over the Christmas break). Just don’t hear a sound improvement over my humble WXAD-10.

Guest thathifiguy
1 hour ago, jim13 said:

Has anyone compared the node 2 or 2i with the Sonos connect with the wyred for sound re-clocker mod. I do use a separate Dac, not sure if that takes the mod out of the equation..

I did. When I did the SNA review of the Node 2, I had the Connect, W4S Reclocker and Gieseler LPS.

The Node 2 sounded just as good if not better and was one box. Plus, the analog output was much better than the Connect.

The Reclocker is beneficial (with the Connect) regardless of the use of an outbound DAC.

On 02/01/2019 at 2:24 PM, thathifiguy said:

I did. When I did the SNA review of the Node 2, I had the Connect, W4S Reclocker and Gieseler LPS.

The Node 2 sounded just as good if not better and was one box. Plus, the analog output was much better than the Connect.

The Reclocker is beneficial (with the Connect) regardless of the use of an outbound DAC.

Am I reading that wrong? The reclocker only comes into play using the connect as a digital transport doesn't it? 

Guest thathifiguy
1 hour ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Am I reading that wrong? The reclocker only comes into play using the connect as a digital transport doesn't it? 

Yes, sorry I should have clarified better.

Just bought Node 2i for my Dynaudio Xeo 30. They are connected via Toslink meaning Node 2i doing only streaming duties (no DAC and "only" 24/96 MQAs). Comparing this setup (playing Tidal) with previous PC -> Dynaudio Connect (via USB) -> Xeo 30...just wow!

It's such a big difference in SQ across the board! Stage, details, even 3D sound.....very impressed.

I haven't tried the analog way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven a WXC-50 connected to a Marantz PM7004 driving a pair of KEF IQ90's.

Would upgrading to a bluesound 2I improve the sound on my setup?

just annoyed the WXC-50 does not decode MQA, and doing searches does not look like it is planned either.

i am sure Yamaha will start losing customers due to lack of MQA support.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ozflyer said:

Nah, most people don’t care enough about MQA. 

just annoyed the WXC-50 does not decode MQA, and doing searches does not look like it is planned either.

I am sure Yamaha will start losing customers due to lack of MQA support.

You may want to read my earlier post.

Guest jakeyb77
2 hours ago, Ozflyer said:

This post was started as I did just that. The Yamaha is great as an entry MusicCast streamer. I wouldn’t say it’s audiophile worthy. But it is capable and MQA isn’t for everyone. 

BUT the BlueSound leaves it for dead sonically. Especially fed to a good DAC. 

Depends on what you need. The OS is also way better on the BS. 

Its the first streamer I’ve had that actually makes the music more analogue rather than 1s and 0s. 

On 16 January 2019 at 9:08 PM, jakeyb77 said:

This post was started as I did just that. The Yamaha is great as an entry MusicCast streamer. I wouldn’t say it’s audiophile worthy. But it is capable and MQA isn’t for everyone. 

BUT the BlueSound leaves it for dead sonically. Especially fed to a good DAC. 

Depends on what you need. The OS is also way better on the BS. 

Its the first streamer I’ve had that actually makes the music more analogue rather than 1s and 0s. 

I am looking for a streamer and DAC together, preferably a decent quality on both aspects. Not keen on a separate DAC.

any recommendation ?.

Thanks

32 minutes ago, Ozflyer said:

I am looking for a streamer and DAC together, preferably a decent quality on both aspects. Not keen on a separate DAC.

any recommendation ?.

Thanks

You have posted in the Node 2i thread, which many people consider to be a bargain and decent. What is your budget?  And what is decent? 

8 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

You have posted in the Node 2i thread, which many people consider to be a bargain and decent. What is your budget?  And what is decent? 

Upto $1500, warm sound with MQA capable.

Upto $1500, warm sound with MQA capable.

Not sure “warm” sound is something a streamer will provide if your setup is currently sounding otherwise.

If searching for a warmer sound from your set up, perhaps consider changing speakers, amp, cables (not all at once) before considering streamer upgrade.

Haven’t mentioned seperate DAC, as this is a component that I haven’t personally owned. I’m sure others will be able to guide on their experience on a DAC’s ability to provide warmth.

Your WXC-50 is IMO a solid streamer, and MQA isn’t likely to make enough of a difference (if any) to your want for a “warm” sound.

Having said all that, for your budget, the Node 2i would be hard to beat.