Bluesound Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest jakeyb77

Yes that’s what I’d have to do also.

Not many DACs work with the MQA but the Mytek Brooklyn is MQA certified and I know they work in tandem and are a common combination. 

I was asking on Clay’s pages about it and I thought they said to run it as is. Anyway will try the setup sans DAC 

Edited by jakeyb77

On 16/11/2018 at 3:40 PM, jakeyb77 said:

Well time to pick up the Bluesound Node 2i this afternoon and have a listen.

Though I’d start a thread for like minded users to discuss! 

Ok young fella, I think it’s time to bring ya toyz ova.

will play sum choons.

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
4 minutes ago, joz said:

Ok young fella, I think it’s time to bring ya toyz ova.

will play sum choons.

Will organise some time with you. Sundays are best for me 

3 hours ago, Tone Malone said:

I'd be keen to hear opinions of how the Node 2i's sound quality compares with the gen 1 & 2 Node. I have the gen 1 Node and while it has a nice analogue sound, the DAC could do with a bit more clarity.

I believe there's no change in DAC between 1, 2 and 2i. Seems to be just other circuitry that has been changed. Pretty keen on trying one since I have a Node 1 too. 

Guest jakeyb77
7 hours ago, barn door said:

So for MQA you need an MQA equiped DAC? (In addition to the 2i) . . . Or will the 2i support MQA on its own (via BluOs)?

BluOs supports MQA. You can play MQA straight out of the 2i. Or you can switch it to external to let an external DAC unfold the MQA. 

From what I read with the Mytek Brooklyn they work in tandem in another kind of way. The two companies worked with MQA to achieve a result. 

On 17/11/2018 at 7:39 PM, jakeyb77 said:

playing an MQA version of one of my favourite artists and it’s sound magnificent 

1EB85D90-CDFF-46E5-A14A-55B2028E121C.jpeg

@JakeyB - Just a note of thanks for introducing me to the wolfman washington. WOW!!!!!!

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
7 hours ago, mmu16 said:

@JakeyB - Just a note of thanks for introducing me to the wolfman washington. WOW!!!!!!

Glad you like him. Really has the road in his voice. Not as much on Tidal as I’d like but I have a few of his LPs. 

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:08 PM, jakeyb77 said:

From reading reviews they seemed to lean toward the 2i being an improvement on the 2 but possibly for most not enough to force an upgrade. 

I was in the lucky position of wanting a BS Node 2 at the time the 2i was released so it was a no brainer as the 2i was only $50 more. 

well done mate.  Glad to see it's kicking goals.

On 17/11/2018 at 12:07 PM, Tim D said:

I run my NODE2 into a Klein dac so I wonder if having the 2i would make a difference?

Been trying to figure this out myself. I run an external dac from my sonos and am looking to upgrade to a better streamer.  Really like the look and feel of the BS stuff but would rather buy a BSN2 second hand than a 2i new if there will be no discernible change in SQ between the two when running an external DAC. 

Update here if you find any information this! 

4 hours ago, Bee-Fizzle said:

Been trying to figure this out myself. I run an external dac from my sonos and am looking to upgrade to a better streamer.  Really like the look and feel of the BS stuff but would rather buy a BSN2 second hand than a 2i new if there will be no discernible change in SQ between the two when running an external DAC. 

Update here if you find any information this! 

I run my Sonos into a W4S remedy reclocker into an external dac, not much difference in sound when I ran a mate's BSN2 into the same dac.

Also ran an Auralic Aries Femto into the same dac, not that much difference for the price difference. Changing the dac made the biggest difference.

On 22/11/2018 at 1:31 PM, reflux075 said:

I run my Sonos into a W4S remedy reclocker into an external dac, not much difference in sound when I ran a mate's BSN2 into the same dac.

Also ran an Auralic Aries Femto into the same dac, not that much difference for the price difference. Changing the dac made the biggest difference.

Had heard that comparison over digital out before. Node didn’t require the reclocker and for similar money you get the high res benefits of the node compared to the Sonos 

• Like 2

Guest jakeyb77
6 minutes ago, markjv said:

Jakeyb77 - Still planning on doing the DAC no DAC test?  I'm curious what you think about the Node 2i's internal DAC.

Thanks

Yes will be doing so soon. Been very time poor at this time of year.

I see a lot of version 1 going up for grabs so might be some other people upgrading also ?.

more to come 

SNA’s own legend [mention=116153]evil c[/mention] has just upgraded from a 2 to a 2i and is very impressed with the sound. 

He may be kind enough to offer some words. 

Sorry took a while for the laughter to subside![emoji16]

Early days as only had for a week , however immediate impression was a more organic analog sound with very good articulation - spreading instruments etc. very wide and with good interplay between the two channels!

Bass was a tad more pronounced too - this is all via coaxial into a Chord Qutest DAC.

I had doubts on whether it would be a step up sonically especially after reading the main improvements were with the wifi and interface however I'm seriously impressed with its performance!

I had a lot of problems with maintaining a rock solid connection to my PC with the previous Node 2 , to the point of getting under the house and running a direct Network ethernet cable.

It still didn't solve it, but happy to report all glitches seem to be gone with the 2i !

Ain't as good as the #vinyl rig - but it is certainly getting closer and can't say feel I'm missing out on much listening to the digital.

# however to be expected with a much more expensive outlay compared to the Node 2i / Qutest combo.

Same with comparing to CD , spent over a week pruning my CD library and ripping for the ease of streaming - and feel it was a very worthwhile exercise. [emoji6]

• Like 2

As a long user with the Node’s 1 and 2, looks like I’d better get myself the 2i to pair up with my Brooklyn plus and Qutest to see if theres anything in this improved sound. 

Edited by Sime V2