Bluesound Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi

Looking at something for easy digital playback and simple iPad control (got an iPad) for CD and above playback..

I like the look of the vault but does it allow you to also put on via USB, hi res files, what bit rates? Does it handle DSD etc?

I want to be able to rip cds straight onto the unit like the bluesound, are there other/better options?

Or can I just get a Mac mini and run an app to control it (without a monitor available) from the iPad and run audivarna or similar?

One last idea is just to set up a small iMac at the other end of the room and run wifi to an Airport express? Would anyone recommend this idea or even with a streamer, can you use an iPad with any to control the music?

Looking to keep it relatively low cost, and simple. Serious listening will happen via the meridian CD player or a nice turntable when I get to buying another one..

Cheers for reading through another ramble :)

20 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

Hi

Looking at something for easy digital playback and simple iPad control (got an iPad) for CD and above playback..

I like the look of the vault but does it allow you to also put on via USB, hi res files, what bit rates? Does it handle DSD etc?

I want to be able to rip cds straight onto the unit like the bluesound, are there other/better options?

Or can I just get a Mac mini and run an app to control it (without a monitor available) from the iPad and run audivarna or similar?

One last idea is just to set up a small iMac at the other end of the room and run wifi to an Airport express? Would anyone recommend this idea or even with a streamer, can you use an iPad with any to control the music?

Looking to keep it relatively low cost, and simple. Serious listening will happen via the meridian CD player or a nice turntable when I get to buying another one..

Cheers for reading through another ramble :)

Looks like the Bluesound doesn't support DSD, does MQA though. Naim Uniti Core does DSD but it's at least twice the price. The full specs are on both the Bluesound and Naim sites. 

Shame Lord Yolk is no longer a member here as he could point you towards the ultra new bit of ripping BT  magic he recently purchased which is a wee bit more advanced than a BS Vault apparently. I'll remember the name eventually and post you a link.

• 2 months later...
Guest jakeyb77

Well time to pick up the Bluesound Node 2i this afternoon and have a listen.

Though I’d start a thread for like minded users to discuss! 

Guest jakeyb77
15 minutes ago, Marc said:

By all accounts it's a remarkable upgrade in sound quality over Gen2.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

I promised @evil c I’ll take mine over and make a comparison without external DACs. 

Hes worried it will make him ask Santa for an upgrade ?

I promised [mention=116153]evil c[/mention] I’ll take mine over and make a comparison without external DACs. 
Hes worried it will make him ask Santa for an upgrade [emoji16]
Grrr - I am Santa ! [emoji1]

Guest jakeyb77

Great initial impressions!! 

I really like the BluOs also. 

It has a really analogue sound. To be fair I haven’t run it without the Geiseler yet. 

Iys like playing a really really good pressing.

The bass in “ The Chain” is kicking me in the chest.

91E69CDA-97EC-44C6-B0F5-2A82AD2AD962.jpeg

Edited by jakeyb77

Guest jakeyb77
5 minutes ago, wolster said:

@jakeyb77

Can I ask what you were using as a streamer before?

I’ve used a Yamaha WCX-50, Logitech Transporter, Squeezebox, Pioneer N-50. 

I was talking to Clive last night and we were on the same page. Many times I good good sound stage with vocals above the tv in the middle. Good separation between left and right. This has all that but the Vocal now seems way deeper than the TV and it’s like all the gaps are filled between left to middle to right. It’s more holographic if you will. 

I find the mid range fast and musical and the bass is solid and not bloated. 

As said the Klein and the BS are on in this scenario so a further test without the Klein is needed to be fair to the BS. 

Guest jakeyb77
22 minutes ago, wolster said:

Thanks @jakeyb77

Listening now to the Bluesound2 and didn’t think I would have an itchy upgrade finger for a while. ?

From reading reviews they seemed to lean toward the 2i being an improvement on the 2 but possibly for most not enough to force an upgrade. 

I was in the lucky position of wanting a BS Node 2 at the time the 2i was released so it was a no brainer as the 2i was only $50 more. 

@Tone Malone so do i and havnt ever used an external dac. Although i though gen 1 and 2 shared the same dac? 

I love mine, use it daily and its only fault to me is its shape. Luckily its currently hidden in a drawer. 

I did think that because the gen 1 and 2 where released so close together, maybe 12mths, they kept the same dac in it. I maybe wrong though. 

Either way excellent sounding units and id be lost without mine

Guest jakeyb77
6 minutes ago, wolster said:

@jakeyb77

Thanks for the tip ?

Playing it now.

Can I assume you are playing without the Klein involved to get MQA?

Still running into the Klein so whatever that end result is.

Digital hasn’t been my strong suit. 

I’ll get some time in the week to remove then DAC and offer a comparison 

1 minute ago, jakeyb77 said:

Still running into the Klein so whatever that end result is.

Digital hasn’t been my strong suit. 

I’ll get some time in the week to remove then DAC and offer a comparison 

@jakeyb77

Not sure of your setup but I have coax out of Bluesound into my DAC for most music. For MQA I have RCA from Bluesound to preamp so it is just a case of switching inputs.